Clamshell spring bumpers

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...9-04-Mustang-Rubber-Trunk-Bumpers-with-Spring

Everyone with the newer style clamshell bumpers is going to eventually need these as the plastic contacts crumble.

If you have a junkyard near you, look for 99-04 Mustang or last gen Thunderbird. There may be other models I don't know about.

Otherwise, this is the best price I found for new parts, with free shipping at the time of this post.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
the replacement ones that are correct for the GT are still available. part number 6G7Z 6343128-A. there are 47 in the Ford warehouse. FYI

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Thanks! The Mustang and T-Bird springs are the same part as the GT spring. The GT team went to the existing parts bin for these. The "nut" on the Mustang spring is a plastic piece that you replace with the GT 10mm metal hex nut for correctness.

Late Model Restoration ships fast and saves a few dollars.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
But that picture in the first post is NOT the right part.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Ok. It is. But, what don't you like about it?

So...here's an admittedly crappy pic of the "Mustang" spring installed with the busted "GT" spring alongside.

IMAG1454.jpg

I thought I was posting something positive, but now I'm tired of this thread.

Last edited:

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
No good deed goes unpunished!

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Perhaps its just the photo for the part on the LMR product page but the attachment on the part shown does not match the 6mm threaded bolt on the bottom of the GT spring, it shows a large plastic screw, about 1/2" diameter that would not fit through the hole in the GT bracket. Your photo shows the 6mm threaded bolt sticking down and its different that that shown in the LMR product page.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
To reiterate:
The "nut" on the Mustang spring is a plastic piece that you replace with the GT 10mm metal hex nut for correctness.

The spring with integrated threaded bolt is identical.

If you lose the GT nut, then you are SOL. However, the Mustang plastic nut also works and does not require a wrench.

Last edited:

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Thanks Gary.
I appreciate your informative posts.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Me too. This information will be essential when all the FGT parts become obsolete.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Thanks for the link. Ordered a set as the rubber bumper on one of mine just split.

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
What he said - Thanks !

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Aaaaaaaand. Out of stock. Jeez, can't even get the replacements for the replacements anymore.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I have a 05. Takes 2 to open the clamshell. Doesn't someone sell a cable device to meek it a one person operation?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I have a 05. Takes 2 to open the clamshell. Doesn't someone sell a cable device to meek it a one person operation?

Scroll down the page: http://www.thegtguy.com/GTG/store

However, you should be able to lift the driver side above the hook, let it rest, and unhook the passenger side.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX

However, you should be able to lift the driver side above the hook, let it rest, and unhook the passenger side.

Mine would constantly slip and reengage the hook as soon as I would let go of the clamshell, esp when the engine bay was cold. I didn't like having to reach over to release the other hook so I installed this device. Probably one of the greatest inventions ever (to prevent me from cursing in my garage or at car shows)

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Put a shop towel on the door sill and stand on it. Easy reach even for the low altitude guys.

The GT Guys "one hand clam release" :lol should have been installed as OEM. Outstanding design and engineering.

Last edited:
Put a shop towel on the door sill and stand on it. Easy reach even for the low altitude guys.

The GT Guys "one hand clam release" :lol should have been installed as OEM. Outstanding design and engineering.

:agree:

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013

GTG thing works great!