Clam Shell

YoungCEO

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 9, 2008
Whittier,Ca
As a newbie GT owner I keep hearing open your clam shell. Is that after every time you drive the GT? Also should you replace the stock exhaust system for heating purposes? I would love to hear your thoughts. I wanted to stay as original on the car as possible.:bang

I am sure I will have a lot of questions.:confused

Now why didn't I own one of these when I was single, I have not gotten this much attention is years. :banana

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
open the clamshell when its hot outside and or your engine is hot otherwise leave it closed.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
As long as you keep the original parts, very little is irreversible. I personally have gotten in the habit of opening the clamshell after a ride.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Personally I don't really open it. Didn't do it when it was stock, don't really do it now that it's not. I can't see it hurting though, especially if it's a really hot day out. Sometimes if I leave it outside for a bit to not get my garage too hot or smelly, I'll pop it open.

Stock exhaust is up to you. My car never had a temp problem stock and it doesn't now either. I changed it for looks/sound.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Personally I don't really open it. Didn't do it when it was stock, don't really do it now that it's not. I can't see it hurting though, especially if it's a really hot day out. Sometimes if I leave it outside for a bit to not get my garage too hot or smelly, I'll pop it open.

Stock exhaust is up to you. My car never had a temp problem stock and it doesn't now either. I changed it for looks/sound.

OK Dave.... facts are you have a white car in the artic north where it never get's above 70F....

Us lucky ones in the south, south east or southern Ca. where it can hit 90+ can fry an egg on a black car!

Pop the hatch when you park her in the stable is what I do... Since she is under the lift right now all I do is pop it as I can't lift it :bored

[note to self - build another 4 car garage]

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
OK Dave.... facts are you have a white car in the artic north where it never get's above 70F....

Us lucky ones in the south, south east or southern Ca. where it can hit 90+ can fry an egg on a black car!

You've obviously never been here in the summer. We get 90+ and humid enough to fry North Carolinians on a car of any color.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I never pop the claim shell and it does get hot in Fresno, no overheating or vent warp either. Not stock, with the Accufab or now the Stainless Works headers

MAD IN NC

Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
You've obviously never been here in the summer. We get 90+ and humid enough to fry North Carolinians on a car of any color.

When we hit 100+ for the first time I will send ya a ticket and we'll go golfing! ya right - how about drinking? You as a Yankee will be saute'd in 3 hr's.

Actually I'll think I will do that this summer for ya.... Take a drive thorugh Ashville, Biltmore and the Blue Mountains.... hmmmmmm Rally 4?

YoungCEO

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 9, 2008
Whittier,Ca
So it won't hurt to open it. The other question is what is a good after market exhaust and what is the best sounding one? The car really needs a little meaner sound to it, nothing radical.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The exhaust question is totally personal opinion. I got the Heffner because I like the tips the best. I think the Stillen, Accufab and Heffner all sound good. The FRPP muffler isn't a big enough difference. The FRPP rear-exit headers are WAY too loud for most people. There is a Tubi but I haven't heard it enough to really make a judgment. Click through some of the banners at the top to see the various vendor webpages, and there is a sticky on the sound of a few in the tech section.

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Jeff....don’t pull the trigger until the next Cars and Coffee gathering....you'll get to hear a few different systems first hand.

YoungCEO

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 9, 2008
Whittier,Ca
Thanks Chris I will check them out next time we hook up.

MAD IN NC

Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Heffner +1 - love the finished tips and sound......

but to each his own

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
CEO, the main thing about changing the exhaust is drone at around 2K rpm. Standing outside the car and listening is one thing, but driving on the road (especially at 2K rpm) is what makes the difference. Come to Rally III and you'll get more than you want of different systems.

Probably one of the worst things to do is riding with Silverbullit cause he never shuts up and you can't hear anything. Spirit will only give you a ride if you sit in the wife's lap.

MAD IN NC

Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Probably one of the worst things to do is riding with Silverbullit cause he never shuts up and you can't hear anything. Spirit will only give you a ride if you sit in the wife's lap.

:rofl:rofl:rofl You should have seen Sherry when Spirit was following Todd and me on a beer run back from Perterson's - I think the bullet proof beer counter scared her and others......

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Here's what the Heffner tips look like. The workmanship is first rate and the sound is simply music.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6768&page=3

YoungCEO

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 9, 2008
Whittier,Ca
The deleted bumper looks sexy. I like the look of the Heffner tips. Who painted the piece that they used on the bumper deletion?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hey YoungCEO,

I wish you would have swung by Cool Tech today (Valencia, CA). George (your fellow Whittier resident), RVKING, and Cobrar1339 were all here for some minor service. (OK, Corbrar1339 was helping - again!) George has the Accufab, and RVKing has the Heffner. Both sound great. Those going more for the nostalgic look, prefer the straight, "tip-less" look of the Accufab. Others (including myself), prefer the looks of the Heffner because of the nice-looking polished, double-walled tips.

As for AlohaGT's car (located in Hawaii), I guess I'm his closest service point :biggrin, so we did the exhaust, rear bumper delete (painted panel and matching pinstripes), pulley upgrade, lowering etc... This car will be back over here in May.... maybe some additional goodies!

Send me a PM and maybe we can hook-up on a weekend when other owners are here...

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
Personally I leave it outside for a bit to not get my garage too smelly, I'll pop it open.

What sort of smells do you get? :eek:rofl:lol

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
:rofl:rofl:rofl You should have seen Sherry when Spirit was following Todd and me on a beer run back from Perterson's - I think the bullet proof beer counter scared her and others......

Good memory and fun times :cheers