Chris Svensson

Raj Nair

Ford GT Team Alumni
Mar 10, 2015
It is with great sadness that I have to share with you that Chris Svensson passed away yesterday.

As Ford’s Design Director for North America, Chris played in instrumental role in the development of the 2017 Ford GT and was also the owner of a 2017 Competition Series GT.

Chris had been fighting a courageous battle against cancer since late last year. He had an incredibly positive attitude throughout which was an inspiration to us all.

For those of us who had the privilege to know and work with Chris, he will always be remembered as a talented designer, a passionate advocate for building great cars - especially the Ford GT, but above all, a good friend.

Chris did not want a funeral but there may be a memorial service planned in the future.

Please keep Chris’ wife Sonia, and his daughters Hannah and Ella in your thoughts and prayers.

Godspeed, Chris.

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
Raj, thanks for letting us know, and sorry for your loss (as well as that of his family). He did phenomenal work and left us all the richer for his creativity and genius. He will be missed.

Kenneth

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I am so sorry to hear about this incredibly sad news. Thank you for informing our community here on the forum. What a tremendous legacy Chris is leaving behind, being so instrumental in the world that is Ford GT. My condolences to his family, and to those of you who knew him personally.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Thank you for letting us know about this very sad news. Our condolences to his family and may his legacy live on in his daughters, and in the incredible work he did in the Ford GT. Rest In Peace.

Mar 15, 2006
So sorry to hear this. Chris was such a talented guy and it was always great to see him in Monterey during Car Week.

Condolences and prayers to his family, friends and colleagues.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
What!? I am absolutely gutted by this news. I got to know Chris at rally Ten and have spent many hours drinking beer and talking about 65 Mustangs with him. During our recent week with McLaren at the Festival of Speed, I got to know their Chief Designer, Rob Melville, and we talked a lot about Chris: When Rob was a young design intern he interviewed for a summer job with Jaguar. Chris was his interviewer. At some Point Rob mentioned that, in fact, his first love was Landrovers, so Chris said "Well, you better go work there instead of Jag" and he arranged things accordingly. Rob is forever gratefull for this opportunity that Chris provided. What a guy. Condolences to his family, losing a loved one is always so tough and something fromwhich you never recover. Keep having a pint and enjoying yourself up there, Chris.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Besides talented, such a warm and friendly man. He will be missed by all he has left behind. Godspeed Chris.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Thank you so much for posting the passing of Chris Svensson Yesterday. What a talented and personable person Chris was. Sue and I are so sorry for your loss of such a close friend. We pray for you and his family. He will always be remembered for his dedication and Work on the Ford GT program as his dedication to Ford Motor Co. Everytime I drive my GT I will always remember Chris! May he Rest In Peace. Tomy & Sue Hamon

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Thanks for letting us know. I never met him and only new him by name . I saw it on Facebook as well. Having dealt with a spouse suffering from this insidious disease, my thoughts go out to the family. Terry

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
What a shock, and so incredibly sad. Our thoughts and prayers for his family and to you Raj. Thank you for the consideration to include us in this difficult time.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Oh, no. I only spoke to him briefly at R10 but he was friendly, open, and personable to all of us plying him for information about the new GT. God bless Chris.

Chip

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
What incredibly sad news. Chris's work was amazing. Truly a loss on so many different levels. God speed, sir!

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
OMG. Just don’t know what to say. Prayers to the family.

Pat Milliken Ford

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 15, 2017
Redford, Michigan
So sorry to hear. He was such a nice and very talented guy. Always out going and willing to talk. He used his GT as a daily driver to work ever since he got it. Even when it rained out he would drive it. You will be missed Chris. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the whole family. Here is the print we had Camilo do for him. He got to see a pic of it last week. :(

Attachments

• 856DB2EE-84BA-473D-A37C-375851E2E757.jpg
    856DB2EE-84BA-473D-A37C-375851E2E757.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 288

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
To say that Chris was a 'regular' at our Saturday morning Cars & Coffee, would be a serious understatement. We all looked forward to his visits, limited only by his devotion to his family, his dog and of course, his ever increasing responsibilities with Ford Motor Company. His passion for design - both automotive and architecture, performance product and fun were appreciated by us all. His 'British' - dry - sense of humor - wasn't initially understood by the Cars & Coffee crowd, and early on it manifested itself in humorous moments reminiscent of 'Monty Python'.

My favorite moments involving him were his departures from the Saturday Cars & Coffee events. On more than one occasion, I was asked by the proprietor of the C&C, to 'please ask Chris to restrain from his signature 'pit exit' departures from the premises'. Of course, that was never going to happen, the man loved his cars and if asked, he'd kind of look at you sideways and feign some response like - 'it needs to be cleared out'.

I'll miss you my friend, and I think it's a sure bet that wherever you head next that there will be some skid marks. RIP Svenny

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Even after speaking with Chris several times recently , 'filling-in' for him with my car at 'Eyes on Design' and buying him a battery operated fan for his non-AC competition Ford GT....and knowing this was coming.... I was Totally Unprepared for this news..

God Bless Chris and his family.
Thanks for notifying us Raj.
(ajb) andy
Andy, Margaret ,Megan and Ryan..

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Our relationship with Chris started at LeMans 2016, where we have the pleasure of his company the entire weekend. Our relationship continued after that, even in light of our geographical distance. We learned of his illness a bit ago, but the suddenness is in-fathomable. I looked back today, our last text exchange was only 2 weeks ago. The world has suffered a great loss.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I am always sorry to hear of one succumbing to this horrible disease.
Had the opportunity to meet with Chris a couple of different times.
A gentleman and true “Car Guy”.
Condolences to the family.
Rest In Peace

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Wow... shocked and saddened by the news. . Thanks for letting us know Raj. Condolences to his family. Godspeed Chris, rest in peace...you are a part of the GT Legacy and the GT family.

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
This is so sad. He would attend cars and coffee on Woodward on a regular basis and we lived a few houses from each other on the same street. I drive by his house every day. We will miss him.

Praying for his family during this difficult time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: