Port Credit Ontario
Very cool:thumbsup

Mike

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Wow !
Scared to think what it will sell for!!

2M Plus? A guess.

It is cool but....it actually make me appreciate the modern design even more. The exact opposite affect classic Ferraris do for me.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I agree with 2112. I've driven an original GT40 and they're not comfortable to get in to or drive. they were actually a lot more crude then I had guessed of course they weren't built for luxury driving. I was even surprised how bad the weatherstripping was becuase you sure don't want to be caught in the rain as I was. the new GT cars are so sophisticated in comparison. the GT40 was a right hand drive car so that didn't help me either. I hope RM has all the documentation for that car. I had never seen that one before. wonder if Carroll still has the Lonestar prototype?

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
HMMMMM , HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM gonna really look into this.....will call our gt40 buddy see what he thinks......wasnt the original crushed in cement in california? before we were all born? might be different car but if its legit............time to wake up the sleeping GTJOEY AGAIN......:biggrin

Flatrod

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
I believe that is Dean Moon's car. He's had since the 60's and was restored recently.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
I believe that is Dean Moon's car. He's had since the 60's and was restored recently.

Its amazing, how many stories there are on just a hand full of gt40's built 40 plus years ago......pretty neat....like our modern rides....
Rocket man is right like many others...the new GT is a pleasure to drive with the least amount of effort. Its reflected since they are never going down in value and everywhere you go 6 years later people still pull out cell cameras and the like..........neat car,neat time to be an owner..:thumbsup

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Hey, a couple of hours from this post and I recieved many a phone call.....
Not in stone but the translation from 3 gt40 owners is that this car "IS THE REAL DEAL" .
Heres the explanation ,the first 12 cars were ptoto types......101 to 112, hold on tight as it gets fuzzy.
4 were "roadsters" , mark 1 small block cars...."NOT THE GTX-1" built and crushed.
This car was 111 raced at targa floria lost its spinner and crashed.......
Hold on this is where 3 veterans start screaming who's right in my ear.........:eek
Anywho supposedly it was dismantled for parts then the tub was trashed, 30 years later it never made the trash and rebuilt, legend has it the tub was cut in half, so if its the true car and restored theres a seam line down the middle. This is a small block car, no one has the answer on the dash vents yet.
Is it legit yes , was it restored using other car parts , yes, its the typical 60's race car, remember it was in a garbage pale for a while........and so....we could hit 1million plus,engine/tranny need to be sorted out, it will tell the true worth.....
Dont hold me to any of this but my guys are REALLY sure on this one, how they remember this crap 40 years later like it was yesterday,:eek
But I guess Dave and I and some others will be asked the same in 20 years and it will all be as a matter of fact.....band aid clips? half shaft bolts, stamped gas caps.....ooh yeah...:biggrin gtjoey1314
Rocket pull out the check book where going to italy...........ciao:thumbsup

Last edited:

cobraownr

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2007
Annapolis, MD

cobraownr

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2007
Annapolis, MD
I agree with 2112. I've driven an original GT40 and they're not comfortable to get in to or drive. they were actually a lot more crude then I had guessed of course they weren't built for luxury driving. I was even surprised how bad the weatherstripping was becuase you sure don't want to be caught in the rain as I was. the new GT cars are so sophisticated in comparison. the GT40 was a right hand drive car so that didn't help me either. I hope RM has all the documentation for that car. I had never seen that one before. wonder if Carroll still has the Lonestar prototype?

+1 and amen. That's why I sold my original GT40. For 30 minutes it was a wild thrill. After that, it was an ordeal. Once you've driven an original, you really appreciate our FGTs. Also, you have to admire the drivers who ran the GT40s flat f'n out for 3-4 hours at a clip (drivers did double shifts in my GT40 at 1966 Le Mans), in the rain, at night, at 180 mph blowing past cars slugging along 80 mph slower, no cool suits or helmets, HANS. That, my friends, is true BIG cojones and unimaginable to me today.

Here is a quote from a race driver "back in the day" about how it was like driving a GT40:

"Driving it (GT40) on the road was something else. It was like lying in bed, connected up to a sauna, being blasted by sound from every quarter and gassed at the same time. You needed a periscope, wet suit, earplugs and gas mask to handle it properly."

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Thanks for the info Cobraonwr. I think it is a combination car, as it has a 5 spd ZF and the early roadsters, I believe, were all Colotti 4 spds. Neat car though. I just don't know if it's worth the $million(s?) they're going to want. Gelscoe does great work. They are doing the continuation Mirage GT40s for Harley Cluxton, and those start @ $500large.

cobraownr

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2007
Annapolis, MD

Dean Moon owns chassis no. 109, not 111.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
+1 and amen. That's why I sold my original GT40. For 30 minutes it was a wild thrill. After that, it was an ordeal. Once you've driven an original, you really appreciate our FGTs. Also, you have to admire the drivers who ran the GT40s flat f'n out for 3-4 hours at a clip (drivers did double shifts in my GT40 at 1966 Le Mans), in the rain, at night, at 180 mph blowing past cars slugging along 80 mph slower, no cool suits or helmets, HANS. That, my friends, is true BIG cojones and unimaginable to me today.

Here is a quote from a race driver "back in the day" about how it was like driving a GT40:

"Driving it (GT40) on the road was something else. It was like lying in bed, connected up to a sauna, being blasted by sound from every quarter and gassed at the same time. You needed a periscope, wet suit, earplugs and gas mask to handle it properly."

Inerestingly, Dan Gurney said that both the MkII and MkIV cars were a piece of cake to drive (except for excessive brake wear on the '66MkII). He especially like the '67 MkIV as it was lighter than the predecessor, and felt it was so powerful that he needn't push the car on the Mulsanne.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Cobrar, isnt it great when you follow the other thread how the interest is the same wehter its the old or the new cars.......great pictures..and yes djs your right the gas mask is required not optional...........gtjoey1314

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
O.K Joseph ...................... I'm in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin :thumbsup

Partners fo life !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
From Sports car digest.com 3/11/11

The 1965 Ford GT Works Prototype Roadster, chassis number GT/111, is one of only five prototype open GT Roadsters built by Ford Advanced Vehicle Operations in the UK during early 1965, of which just four survive. Chassis GT/111 was first tested at the 1965 Le Mans trials, driven by Sir John Whitmore, prior to it being selected as a Works entrant in the Targa Florio. Painted in Linden Green and with Sir John Whitmore joined by American driver Bob Bondurant behind the wheel, the car ran as high as third place in the Targa Florio before accident damage sidelined the car. After the race, a decision was made to strip the chassis and discard it, after which its whereabouts remained largely unknown for the next forty years. The chassis was rediscovered in 2006, its authenticity confirmed by the world’s leading authorities on GT40s, and following a painstaking restoration GT/111 reappeared on the race circuit in 2007 at the Goodwood Revival. It has since gone on to race competitively at some of Europe’s most prestigious events. (Est. €2.400.000 – €2.900.000)

“The Ford GT represents one of the world’s most iconic sports car designs,” notes Girardo. “Joining power with beauty, it is the perfect fit for our debut sale at the Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este. As one of just four surviving examples and one of only three to have been raced by the Works, it presents an extraordinarily rare ownership opportunity for discerning collectors, deserving of close inspection.”

Read more: http://www.sportscardigest.com/rm-a...villa-deste-2011-headline-cars/#ixzz1HYJasMyv

So, RM is looking for $4,000,000-$5,000,000? Wow. Wonder if it will approach that with the car's history.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Well, after seeing what went on at Amelia Island, anything is possible......hows about a trade Sonic Blue/2 wives 2 sets of twins...a college grad and a 17 teen year old....okay we keep sonic blue, Id miss that damn car........:lol what say you ol orange tiger...gtjoey1314

Flatrod

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Dean Moon owns chassis no. 109, not 111.

I guess I should of checked the registry before I spoke. I read somewhere Dean was restoring his, and then seen a picture of that awlful green no. 111 car, being put together, and thought it was Dean's.

I wonder how much of the orginal car they had to start with. Hopefully not just a vin number!