Check out the "optional Ford tie downs/tow hooks" that we all missed

MorningFlight

Ford GT Owner
May 6, 2007
Rochester, NY
Did both bring $150K each plus buyer's prem?????? What were the miles on each?

Lot 1059 with 294 miles sold for $169,000. Lot 1236 with 5,000 miles brought $165,000. Both were Tungsten Gray, presumably in pristine condition, and auction results included a 10% buyer's premium.

The fact that the price difference between the two cars was less than $5,000 surprised the hell out of me. What happened to the penalty for putting miles on the GT? Based on eBay results, I always thaught the spread between a car with less than 500 miles on the odometer and one with 5,000 miles + was more like $15,000 to $20,000! If that's the new reality, time to have some fun this year. There are some quiet Sunday morning upstate NY back country roads just waiting for a wake-up call.

Hal
http://www.youtube.com/user/MorningFlight#p/a/f/1/7tx47jq6wHI

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Good point, I wonder if the "T" hooks on the bottom of the car would work for dyno pulls. Removing the belly pan is such a PIA.

I think that car has some "stories". The owner might have benefitted greatly from a PPI from GT Guys...

On the other hand, it helps resale value ....

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Don't save it for the next owner... drive it like it belongs to you.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I think that car has some "stories". The owner might have benefitted greatly from a PPI from GT Guys...

On the other hand, it helps resale value ....

You think he added them to pull the frame? Ouch.

MorningFlight

Ford GT Owner
May 6, 2007
Rochester, NY
... the buyer pays 10% over in auction fees. WOW $15,000.00 in auction fees!!! Just think when the Shelby Daytona Coupe went through at a previous auction at 8 million plus

The Daytone Coupe was auctioned off by Mecum, to my knowledge the only U.S. auction house that charges a mere 6%. Still, $870,000 in commissions (buyers and sellers both pay 6%), unless the fees were negotiated down.

That also means Barrett-Jackson collected $30,000, not $15,000, for the $150,000 GT.

Hal
http://mecum.com/news/news_detail.cfm?NEWS_ID=2102

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
The Daytone Coupe was auctioned off by Mecum, to my knowledge the only U.S. auction house that charges a mere 6%. Still, $870,000 in commissions (buyers and sellers both pay 6%), unless the fees were negotiated down.

That also means Barrett-Jackson collected $30,000, not $15,000, for the $150,000 GT.

Hal
http://mecum.com/news/news_detail.cfm?NEWS_ID=2102

Pretty good return for renting a couple of tents and some postage to send out flyers!:eek

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
You think he added them to pull the frame? Ouch.

I suspect they were for tie downs, for testing or trailering. Either way, as Rich previously mentioned, not the place to put them.... :thumbsdow

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
As I look at the rear of the car I saw something that looked very odd so I took a few pictures of these "tow hooks"/ "tie down rings" so that this could be shared with all on the forum. While the car was in the staging lane I took a couple of minutes to speak with the owner and asked the question "I have never seen these "hooks" on any other cars what is the deal with them? He told me that "these were optional from Ford when you purchase a GT":bs

BS! Because Ford only uses metric fasteners on the FGT and the bolt shown in the photo have SAE markings not the XX.X of metric fasteners.

attachment.php

Shadowman would never do that, doesn't look OEM.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
BS! Because Ford only uses metric fasteners on the FGT and the bolt shown in the photo have SAE markings not the XX.X of metric fasteners.

Shadowman would never do that, doesn't look OEM.

You guys are GOOD!!!:thumbsup

I would hate to be the new owner with the belief that these tie downs can be used without doing potential harm.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I think that is the famous fifth option - trailer hitch. Rated to tow 8,000 pounds.:lol

If you want to dyno without removing the belly pans Colvin automotive in austin created hooks to insert into the holes in the rear jacking points. They have a whipple gen 2 GT and work on others around here. They dynoed mine with no problems using the hooks.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Optional I don't think so. As we all know there only 4 options with the cars except the color. I wouldn't pull/tie down anything more than 5lbs with that. You can see how it is already bending the AL in the third pic. Not to mention those now damaged frame rails are about $1800 each plus paint. John you are correct in your :bs statement.

And I just happen to have a pair of said new frame rails available for sale !!

AZSTAD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 4, 2008
Arizona
Lot 1059 with 294 miles sold for $169,000. Lot 1236 with 5,000 miles brought $165,000. Both were Tungsten Gray, presumably in pristine condition, and auction results included a 10% buyer's premium.

That's correct guys - there is a 10% fee on "both sides of the fence!". The buyer adds another 10% and the seller receives 90% of "hammer price". And yes, on top of that is approximately 7.5% tax if you're an Arizona State resident. If you're not - you have to pay your local state taxes the minute you register it.

This was my concern with the GT's, as well as other readily available cars, such as the two Ferrari's that went Saturday...the "hammer price" usually is in line with the market most of the time. But on 6-Figure cars, again - readily available ones, both the buyer and the seller get screwed at the end of the day. That is unless the buyer really, really needs to sell the car no matter what.

On the other hand, for rare, one of a kind cars or ones that you just think you have to have - it's a good place to shop and look for deals.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
My '66 Mustang has 2 brackets that were used to tie down the car during factory shipment. They were to be removed prior to delivery - however, the agency either forgot to do it, or felt it didn't matter. These could be the same type of tie downs - dealer removes them upon delivery and sends them back to Ford for shipping more cars. Not an option, you're just lucky if they leave them on your car.

My 70 BOSS 302 also had it's Tie Down Brackets in place when I bought it from the second owner back in 1997. They are attached to the unibody "frame rails" on either side of the gas tank and bolted in place with two through rail bolts and nuts.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I'm going to put the tow hooks and trailer hitch options on my todo list for things to add to the GT Registry.

Item 9,347 on my to do list, right after 'talk nice about Tesla', and before 'trust the US Government'.
:cheers

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
"the famous fifth option - trailer hitch. Rated to tow 8,000 pounds."

WOW, I knew there was a reason I got rid of the Cayenne! Now I can tow with the GT!!:rofl

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Optional I don't think so. As we all know there only 4 options with the cars except the color. I wouldn't pull/tie down anything more than 5lbs with that. You can see how it is already bending the AL in the third pic. Not to mention those now damaged frame rails are about $1800 each plus paint. John you are correct in your :bs statement.

Rich

What about the labor to dismantle the rear of the car and put it back together. I don't think $ 1,800 is close to actual cost to replace.

Dave

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Thats why Greg Jackson and Dana Mecum shout and jump. They get it from both sides buyer and seller. Not a bad gig if you can get the work.

Buyers obviously factor in the commission they pay in addition to the bid price. Those are pretty decent numbers for GTs in this economy.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I'm going to put the tow hooks and trailer hitch options on my todo list for things to add to the GT Registry.

Item 9,347 on my to do list, right after 'talk nice about Tesla', and before 'trust the US Government'.
:cheers

Super B - tell it like it is!

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Super B - tell it like it is!
Hey Jeff.....I've been looking at your avatar and wondering....is the GT in your mirror my gal on our way to Texas? :wink

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
KJR, unfortunately, Jeff is red/green colorblind and so are his mirrors. That is a RED car