Check out the "optional Ford tie downs/tow hooks" that we all missed

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
While at the Barrett-Jackson event this week there were two tungsten GT's up for auction so I decided to get nosy and look things over with a fine tooth comb. As I look at the rear of the car I saw something that looked very odd so I took a few pictures of these "tow hooks"/ "tie down rings" so that this could be shared with all on the forum. While the car was in the staging lane I took a couple of minutes to speak with the owner and asked the question "I have never seen these "hooks" on any other cars what is the deal with them? He told me that "these were optional from Ford when you purchase a GT":bs

Attachments

• DSC03549.JPG
    DSC03549.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 787
  • DSC03528.JPG
    DSC03528.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 762
  • DSC03527.JPG
    DSC03527.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 816

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I wonder if that is a sufficient lock down point for a dyno pull?

My "Do want" list just got longer.

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Hooks

Optional I don't think so. As we all know there only 4 options with the cars except the color. I wouldn't pull/tie down anything more than 5lbs with that. You can see how it is already bending the AL in the third pic. Not to mention those now damaged frame rails are about $1800 each plus paint. John you are correct in your :bs statement.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
They were part of the OEM "Off-Road" package.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
What did this car sell for?

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
150K + buyers premium.

Does the buyer have to pay sales tax too? :ack

I think so. :confused

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Dealer installed option?

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
They were part of the OEM "Off-Road" package.

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
150K + buyers premium.

Does the buyer have to pay sales tax too? :ack

I think so. :confused

Hey Greg it was great meeting you and your friends at the auction but no matter how much we tried to drink everything they had neither of us won that battle:lol

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Did both bring $150K each plus buyer's prem?????? What were the miles on each?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I wouldn't pull/tie down anything more than 5lbs with that. You can see how it is already bending the AL in the third pic. Not to mention those now damaged frame rails are about $1800 each plus paint.

Good point, I wonder if the "T" hooks on the bottom of the car would work for dyno pulls. Removing the belly pan is such a PIA.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
My '66 Mustang has 2 brackets that were used to tie down the car during factory shipment. They were to be removed prior to delivery - however, the agency either forgot to do it, or felt it didn't matter. These could be the same type of tie downs - dealer removes them upon delivery and sends them back to Ford for shipping more cars. Not an option, you're just lucky if they leave them on your car.

Last edited:

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 19, 2007
Frankfort Ill
I think the seller has to pay a premium too. So he only cleared 135? Went out to bid once but never sold out there. It does make for a circus with the cameras and all when your on stage.

Steve

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
dealer removes them upon delivery and sends them back to Ford for shipping more cars. Not an option, you're just lucky if they leave them on your car.[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure these holes are not on any of our cars so that would mean someone got their drill out:ack

jmorken522

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2009
Winona Minnesota
The Barett Jackson Web Sit shows the car sold for $165,000.00... The high bid was $150,000.00, and the buyer pays 10% over in auction fees. WOW $15,000.00 in auction fees!!!:cheers
Just think when the Shelby Daytona Coupe went through at a previous auction at 8 million plus:wink

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
.....I'm kinda pissed that the owner lied to you. Dishonesty for such a small matter makes me wonder about the rest of 'the deal'.:thumbsdow

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
.....I'm kinda pissed that the owner lied to you. Dishonesty for such a small matter makes me wonder about the rest of 'the deal'.:thumbsdow

I agree and my conversation with him ended at that point because the rest he had to say was just hot air as well as a waste of my time.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...I am pretty sure these holes are not on any of our cars so that would mean someone got their drill out:ack

Could be - I was just surmising based on my old Mustang.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
As the urban legend of our gals grow - you'll be seeing more of this view :biggrin

Attachments

• hookah.jpg
    hookah.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 337

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Good one Mike. Reminds me of Ralphie already.