CF Seat backs

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I have noticed on some cars the Carbon Fibre seat backs have a nice sheen or shine to them. Mine are not so pretty. They have a hazed look and the fiber itself looks very close to the surface in some areas. I am sure it is just a manufactures tolerance issue. Function over form kind of thing.

I am not worried about their integrity, I am just wondering if anyone has polished theirs or shot it with a clearcoat or anything like that.

Personally, on mine, I don't think either of those would help much, I would even consider just painting them solid to improve the finish.

Any suggestions?

:usa

ObeyMyFast!

GT Owner's son
May 5, 2009
San Diego
Any pictures?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Any pictures?

Did not think it would show up in a picture as well as it does. Plus had to learn how to upload with the new software. Not hard, just different.

Attachments

• 100_0733.jpg
    100_0733.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 230

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Kip or StormCat should be able to answer your question.

ObeyMyFast!

GT Owner's son
May 5, 2009
San Diego
Oh my... My stepdad manufactures carbon fiber. If Kip or StormCat cant answer your question, I'll as him about it. :cheers

Aug 25, 2006
Normal; IMO

Thye seat backs were created using pre-preg carbon fiber and the surfaces can and do vary

If high gloss is what you are after then they would have to be clear coated

Shadowman

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I guess uniformity is what I would want (it is definitely not an emergency) Unless someone else has successfully resolved this by clear coating over this, I would believe all you would have is clear over a splotchy gray area.

It is as if the clear gelcoat is too thin there.

doogie48084

Mar 21, 2007
Taylor Michigan
Carbon Fiber Seat Backs

I work with Carbon fiber all the time. If you want to know what kind of surface finish you will get on the seat back, all you have to do is wipe the carbon fiber part with a solvent. Since it is in the car and you wouldn't want to damage the interior in any way, I would use a rubbing alcohol. This won't damage anything else around the seat back.
Wipe it on and while it is wet, this is the appearance you will get from clear coating it.
If you like the finish, it is worthwhile to scuff it down with 320 grit wet sand paper and then clear coat it with an automotive clear urethane. This will need to be followed up with a wet sanding and a polishing. Don't try it if you haven't got the skills to complete it, but if you're pretty handy with a spray gun, it is not a difficult task to complete!
Good luck

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
Does the shoulder harness buckle rub there? Was the car transported with the shoulder harness loose? i.e not attached to the guide snap on the seat?

That doesn't look "normal" to me... but I agree with the clearcoat suggestions. My seat backs seem to be
more of a matt finish rather than gloss.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Not rubbed on at all. These splotchy areas are spread over the entire surface of both seats. I saw a pair of seats for sale on ebay that were much worse than mine.

Thanks for the suggestions.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Those seats are ruined. Promptly ship them to me and I will dispose of them for you. It's the least I can do for a forum buddy.