CDC Bumper delete installation

Yukonranger

GT Owner
Jun 9, 2008
Sagle, ID
Last fall at the Rally in Las Vegas I fell in love with the look of the bumper delete look so it was one of the first things I did to my new GT. There are two choices one from CDC and one from the GT Guys. I chose the CDC look

The installation went fairly easily. I was installing a FRP borla muffler at the same time so I had lots of room. A 1/4" air ratchet is really useful for working on these cars with all the torx fasteners on the underbody! The installation instruction were fairly clear. CDC advises trial fitting the kit before painting but I had the panel painted before starting and had no problems with this. If you have stripes you may want to get the panel painted at least the primary color or you may be removing and reinstalling everything several times.

I had one of the nutserts on the CDC frame extensions turn but a bolt, nut, a couple washers and some cunning plier work managed to solve the problem.

One area where I think the instructions are deficient is in their advice to cut one of the OEM frame extension bolts and use a (somewhat ugly) bolt provided in the kit. They advise doing this if you have the stock cats. I cut the first bolt and then is occurred to me that I might be able to remove the one on the other side if I lowered the transaxle (a one bolt job). This worked and I was thrilled to be able to use the better looking OEM bolt. I was less than thrilled when the replacement bolt (for the one I cut) cost $23 and took two days to arrive. Live and learn but I wanted to point out that the OEM bolts can be removed if you lower the transaxle

I have little adjusting to do to get all the panels to be perfectly flush with each other but overall the result looks stunning.

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
Nice job.I like to here when a GT owner takes the time to work on there own car. Makes it feel more like your own when your done. Post a few pics if you can.

Aug 25, 2006
Last fall at the Rally in Las Vegas I fell in love with the look of the bumper delete look so it was one of the first things I did to my new GT. There are two choices one from CDC and one from the GT Guys. I chose the CDC look

The installation went fairly easily. I was installing a FRP borla muffler at the same time so I had lots of room. A 1/4" air ratchet is really useful for working on these cars with all the torx fasteners on the underbody! The installation instruction were fairly clear. CDC advises trial fitting the kit before painting but I had the panel painted before starting and had no problems with this. If you have stripes you may want to get the panel painted at least the primary color or you may be removing and reinstalling everything several times.

I had one of the nutserts on the CDC frame extensions turn but a bolt, nut, a couple washers and some cunning plier work managed to solve the problem.

One area where I think the instructions are deficient is in their advice to cut one of the OEM frame extension bolts and use a (somewhat ugly) bolt provided in the kit. They advise doing this if you have the stock cats. I cut the first bolt and then is occurred to me that I might be able to remove the one on the other side if I lowered the transaxle (a one bolt job). This worked and I was thrilled to be able to use the better looking OEM bolt. I was less than thrilled when the replacement bolt (for the one I cut) cost $23 and took two days to arrive. Live and learn but I wanted to point out that the OEM bolts can be removed if you lower the transaxle

I have little adjusting to do to get all the panels to be perfectly flush with each other but overall the result looks stunning.

I am glad that it has been integrated and in the end that you are happy.

I have never cut any of the OEM hardware and frankly did not know that they suggest such.

I will repeat your comments by saying that it is not necessary and I do not suggest it.

Shadowman

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I sadly followed the instructions too and cut the bolts. There was not enough info here at the time to keep me from cutting. I too have bought the correct bolts, and will fix next winter. I tried to loosten up the exhaust and tried wiggle them out, could not quite get them out.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Resurrecting an ancient thread but for anybody looking, I found that all I had to do was unscrew the O2 sensors from the cats to give me enough clearance to wiggle out the bottom frame horn extension bolts.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
So long ago I dont even remember cutting........

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Perhaps it is the people you hang out with.

Reactions: Specracer

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!" Can't remember who said it. lol

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I put this pic out once before but this is the CDC kit installed. I cut my own frame extensions and also used the Ford Racing muffler. very clean look set up in my opinion. very happy with itIMG_2883.JPG