Carrera Gt

f430

GT Owner
Jan 23, 2006
Antone out there with both that can compare the two?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Racer X sold his CGT in lieu of the GT. Magwheel also owns both.

Baddest sounding stock car ever. Sends a tremendous chill up my spine hearing that thing live :cool

Big Carrot

GT Owner
May 13, 2006
Dallas
Absolutely awesome cars, but I don't really like the looks of them much. Then again I'm not a HUGE fan of the GT's looks either.

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Big Carrot said:
Then again I'm not a HUGE fan of the GT's looks either.

Dude! That is sacrilege!! Let me respectfully suggest you need an eye examination. Pronto!

Big Carrot

GT Owner
May 13, 2006
Dallas
Red Rocket said:
Dude! That is sacrilege!! Let me respectfully suggest you need an eye examination. Pronto!

HAHA! I've just never been much of a fan of any of the new retro cars. It's grown on me some, but it's still not my favorite. Driving it is a totally different story!

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
The problem the CGT has is twofold: first, the clutch. it is almost nonslip and hardly dosable. Makes the car very unpleasant in regular stop and go, or off the line.
second, the back end swings violently. It comes very late, and then it is almost too late to manage to control it without major panic attack.. Worrying, as you don't knw how much of a good thing, is a bad thing. Probably need to increase toe in to a ridiculous level, to make that manageable. A bit coming back to the first P Turbo, had similar issue.

I think orsche is already in legal trouble with the car in US. Again, reminiscent to the first Turbo...

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
On track w/Porsche

Just returned from Germany. Watched one of these cars take laps at the Nordschliefe Circuit at Nurburgring. I can tell you it looked like the guy had a real 'handfull' each and every pass, but the sound was terrific! The suspension setup was as delivered/stock. I'd have loved to see a GT in capable hands on the same day.

Big Carrot

GT Owner
May 13, 2006
Dallas
I feel like the car is super easy to control! I whip mine around corners all the time, and it seems much more manageable than most other cars I've had. Hmmm...

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
SLF360 said:
I think [P]orsche is already in legal trouble with the car in US. Again, reminiscent to the first Turbo...

Big S, please elaborate on this comment, privately if you prefer.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Red Rocket said:
Big S, please elaborate on this comment, privately if you prefer.

Search for a past post on a track accident with a CGT that may have contributed to two deaths. It is rumored that the deceased hired a lawyer who in the past was sucessful in winning a case against Porsche for a "fault" in a 911 Turbo handling causing a death. I don't know if any of this is true or not, it is just what I have read on the web.

I believe all high performance cars have unique capabilities and handling attributes that have to be respected when driving them. The problem is many people just believe it is similar in handling to what they have driven in the past and that could be a fatal mistake.

e.g. Many FGT have be wrecked in the 1st few hundred miles of their life. Mostly from on power oversteer, or lifting in 1st or 2nd after losing traction during a strong acceleration.

BlackICE

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
Cars don't kill drivers anymore than guns do. Both take a person to operate or abuse them. exceed the limits of controalabity and it will bite you. send the lawers home before the wreck it for all of us just trying to have fun.

aporschegal

Nov 5, 2006
Well stated FLY GT40 !

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
FLY GT40 said:
Cars don't kill drivers anymore than guns do. Both take a person to operate or abuse them. exceed the limits of controalabity and it will bite you. send the lawers home before the wreck it for all of us just trying to have fun.
Couldn't agree more ! People just 'assume' when a car responses to the accelerator being pushed, the manufacturer has made sure the machine would everytime prevail over (foolish) men. Not the case.

I think it comes from so many 'average' cars being made more and more foolproof, and people are getting used to that and forget respect to physics. If you see the all electronic big BMW's with DSC, DTC, ASR, ABS etc, etc, and try to flip one of those, just impossible....

Assume stands for ass u & me.... Good driver training and skills, and you can drive the CGT like big Carrot does, for sure. it's just quite extreme on the scale of manageable to non manageable. it's a sweaty & hairy drive, unless you get really, really used to it over time.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
SLF360 said:
Couldn't agree more ! People just 'assume' when a car responses to the accelerator being pushed, the manufacturer has made sure the machine would everytime prevail over (foolish) men. Not the case.

I think it comes from so many 'average' cars being made more and more foolproof, and people are getting used to that and forget respect to physics. If you see the all electronic big BMW's with DSC, DTC, ASR, ABS etc, etc, and try to flip one of those, just impossible....

Assume stands for ass u & me.... Good driver training and skills, and you can drive the CGT like big Carrot does, for sure. it's just quite extreme on the scale of manageable to non manageable. it's a sweaty & hairy drive, unless you get really, really used to it over time.

I agree with you Stefan. Unfortunately here in the USA, facts, reason and logic have no role to play in our litigious society. Just hire some scumbag plaintiff attorney and find someone else to blame for your own stupidity. It is always someone else's fault...such BS.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
That particular Porsche case was ugly in that a variety of events led to that horrible accident. However, I highly doubt the two noted car nuts who were in the machine would have wanted their relatives to try and exact punitive revenge on the carmaker for producing the car. Every time you take a car that fast on a track you risk death. It's a fact. All the electronic nannies in the world can't save you from a 150mph blowout, or overcome the laws of physics that certain driver inputs battle with.

But it's already been said. We're sanitizing the driving experience (and everything else in the United States of Tort) because we've created a culture of blame. It's not "why did the driver action result in the crash" it's "why didn't the company make sure such action wouldn't result in the crash". I for one love the fact cars like the GT, CGT, Viper, leave it all to the driver. Reminds you that the car always has more than you do. I'm not going to pretend I didn't drive way more like a maniac than I should have in my Z06 because the excellent driver nannies make it virtually crash proof.

I know someone who participated in the Utah Fast Pass last year who was there when the Enzo was totalled. Luckily, cooler heads have prevailed and they set aside a space for us next year and the event will go on....good for Larry Miller.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
p.s, just wanted to restate the CGT is the most wicked sounding car ever. Not particularly pretty, but who cares! I'll take any car meant as a successor to the GT1 that ends up roadworthy.

Listen:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5607116136226020636&q=Carrera+GT&hl=en

Big Carrot

GT Owner
May 13, 2006
Dallas
I've seen that video before. That guy is NUTS! Slinging that thing around on THOSE roads takes balls of brass! He drives it like I drive my car when NOT on a mountain road with walls all around! lol That car definitely does sound amazing!

Last edited:

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
BlackICE said:
Search for a past post on a track accident with a CGT that may have contributed to two deaths. It is rumored that the deceased hired a lawyer who in the past was sucessful in winning a case against Porsche for a "fault" in a 911 Turbo handling causing a death. I don't know if any of this is true or not, it is just what I have read on the web.

Oh, yes I think most of us know about that case. The owner/driver of the car was apparently a great guy who did a lot of charity work. The passenger was actually a very successful web entrepreneur from near where I live (Vancouver) and he was also an experienced rally driver.

I understand the event was an open track day and there was no one signalling drivers coming out of the pits whether the coast was clear. The Carrera driver was doing 160 mph - they say - and to avoid the Ferrari coming blindly out of the pit lane he ended up skidding sideways across the infield to the inner wall. Similar in some ways to the impact another Vancouver-based driver (Greg Moore) suffered which was also fatal, at the same track in 1999.

I have it on good authority that what killed the CGT occupants was internal injuries based on the impact. Tragic. But this points out something else that drivers of fast cars need to know. Air bags and seat belts are sometimes not enough when you're going at those speeds - if the car stops moving abruptly by hitting a solid object (i.e. a tree or concrete pillar) your internal organs keep going and it is internal injuries that often kill occupants of cars at those speeds. Just physics and physiology. So drive safe out there and consider the consequences before you risk yourself, or certainly a passenger.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
The sound of the CGT is just amazing..what scares me about the car is the costs to fix things...I know you pay you play but I have heard some horry stories...Leno was on TV talking about a friend that ran over a curb with his and supposedly it did $20K in damage!!!! HOLY CRAP!!!! From a curb and the only thing they could see was a scuff on the rim!!!!

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
427Aggie said:
The sound of the CGT is just amazing..what scares me about the car is the costs to fix things...I know you pay you play but I have heard some horry stories...Leno was on TV talking about a friend that ran over a curb with his and supposedly it did $20K in damage!!!! HOLY CRAP!!!! From a curb and the only thing they could see was a scuff on the rim!!!!

carbon fiber tub = expensive repairs

BTW my local wholesaler of exotics tells me that CGT's can be had now for amazing deals right from the dealer with no miles. He quoted me $350k Cdn. versus the $650k Cdn they cost when they first came out. Granted the $Cdn has gained quite a bit vs the greenback in that time (it is now worth $.90 US vs $0.71 in 2004, but that is still quite a drop and becoming a bargain if you can live with the car's idiosynchracies.

Last edited: