carbon weave showing through paint

rick458

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2011
Car is black and it's about 6 months old. Is it normal for carbon weave to be showing through the paint? It appears to be happening more and more as time passes.

I waited the correct amount of time Ford advised before filming the car.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Print through can happen for various different reasons. I would think all the NGT parts are cured in an autoclave or post cured so that this doesn't happen but black happens to be the color that gets the hottest when exposed to sunlight. Does the print through go away when you park the car inside?

I have carbon roof skin on my 2005 Ford GT that i made when i fixed my car the first time in 2012. Back then we used a different resin than we do now and when it gets hot it prints. When it cools down the print resides. My Carbon clambshell made later with different resign does not do it. We also do not post cure. but we recommend everything sits out in the sun before body working and prepping for paint.

knightka

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 6, 2015
Los Altos, CA
picture?

rick458

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2011
No it doesn't go away when inside. It shows up most under LED lights and outside in certain angles. I think the color doesn't help. It does not show up in a picture. It looks like a very uniform crosshatch pattern. It is really apparent on the doors.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Normal.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I can see the weave on my Heritage (Gulf). I love it.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I can see what your describing in mine too, but I only noticed it after PPF. It’s very faint and only noticeable under direct light. Are we sure it’s not the surface of the PPF?

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Wow, now I am going to look carefully at mine.
Have never noticed.
Andy (ajb)

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
B07F508E-4664-4932-893C-56BFB9B08C19.jpeg

Reactions: Nafod

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Y’all should be pleased, I had to pay $70k extra to get that on my car!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
That’s what told Rick too!

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
I have that on mine and every other GT I have looked at. Its the CF weave.

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
For reference, also happens on Carrera GT’s and early F40’s, which are more desirable then the glassy f40’s.

Reactions: Special K

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
... and early F40’s, which are more desirable then the glassy f40’s.

Was going to make the same comment re: F40s . In 1987 (the first year of F40 production). an all-carbon car was pretty rare, so when the weave showed through a little bit it wasn't a flaw, it was a "feature"!

SPI

Nov 28, 2018
Chicago

My 17 Viper ACR Extreme is black. The hood and trunk are both carbon fiber and I do not see this pattern.

Does Prefix have better solution on painting carbon fiber parts ?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Prefix paints the GT.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
My 17 Viper ACR Extreme is black. The hood and trunk are both carbon fiber and I do not see this pattern.

Does Prefix have better solution on painting carbon fiber parts ?

Your question about a solution assumes there is a problem. I don’t believe there is a problem.

SPI

Nov 28, 2018
Chicago
That is what I thought in which I see no flaws on my ACR Extreme with the carbon . Prefix paint is top notch.

It’s a toss up in terms of seeing the carbon or not in the paint . I personally wouldn’t mind seeing a little weave.

You can spray the Ford GT in any way you want any color you want and it will look awesome no matter what.

Last edited:

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
"Waiter! There's a roach in my soup!!!"

"Shhhh!!!! Please quiet down! Everyone will want one!"

😁 o_O