Car won't start - Little help!

Kelly-X1

Ex GT Owner (Temporarily)
Mark IV Lifetime
May 24, 2009
RV-Nomad, USA
Greetings,

I just got my GT back from Kip, had his unbelievable top installed. I flew up and drove it back from Detroit to Kansas City, everthing was fine. Drove it around town for a few days, no issues. Then tonight, I backed it into the garage and went to start it a few minutes later, nothing.

The dash lights all come on, the gauges seem to come alive, but when I hit the fun button, nothing happens. The gage light and check engine light stay on. I hooked my SCT up and got a P1000, cleared and still nothing, then the P1000 is back. What I've read, it seems to clear itself with driving, but it won't start, so that's not an option.

Kip did replace the battery. Any suggested fixes or work-arounds would be very much appreciated; have a great week of driving weather and need to get my fix.

Thanks so much,
Kelly

H

HHGT

Either a bad ground or a bad clutch contact switch would be my two thoughts, more than likely a bad ground.

Kelly-X1

Mark IV Lifetime
May 24, 2009
RV-Nomad, USA
Thanks, I'll work the ground angle tomorrow to see what I can find.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
There is also an inertial cutoff switch in the SJB area that turn off the fuel pumps if the car has a sudden impact.

Does the starter turn the motor, is the starter solenoid clicking?

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Either a bad ground or a bad clutch contact switch would be my two thoughts, more than likely a bad ground.

Make sure you sand off the paint on the chassis underneath the short ground strap to battery connection. This was the culprit/fix on mine and MANY others.

Kelly-X1

Mark IV Lifetime
May 24, 2009
RV-Nomad, USA
There is also an inertial cutoff switch in the SJB area that turn off the fuel pumps if the car has a sudden impact.

Does the starter turn the motor, is the starter solenoid clicking?

No the starter does not turn, just a little click when start button depressed, but nothing in the way of a starter or even a solenoid click, more of a dash light or mechanical click from the dash area.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Sounds like a low battery. Put it on a charger or tender overnight then try again in the morning....

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Sounds like a low battery. Put it on a charger or tender overnight then try again in the morning....

I'd say this too. Cranking Amps are a form of alchemy, the battery needs a significant reserve of 'woof' to turn over such a mighty lump. Whilst it might have enough to deal with the lights and the latest CD, it might not have enough amperage to fire it up. Most battery readers bought on the high street don't measure cranking amps......

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I carry a portable battery pack/ jump starter (bought at Sams club for $49.00) My car was completely drained from leaving the key 'on' for 5 days as I trailered to Rally V. When I got to Umstead Hotel Lot U.....DEAD. Hooked up the little jumper pack directly to the battery terminals and it fired up. Running well ever since (Track days. rain, trip back to Detroit)
worth a try.
AJB

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
If you have a carpet, make sure it didn't bunch up under the clutch pedal.

Kelly-X1

Mark IV Lifetime
May 24, 2009
RV-Nomad, USA
Well, I double checked the battery ground, solid. I fully charged the battery. I ohm tested the clutch switch and even jumped the connection, seems fine, still no go.

Kip also installed a double din cf radio bracket and a new airbag switch, he was getting a code with a defective switch any possible culprit there?

Again, when I push the start button, the radio and dash lights go out, then when released, the radio comes back on, check Gage and check engine light stay on. There is no engine or starter noise at all.

Any more suggestions? Please and thank you.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Have a voltmeter across the battery to verify that the voltage isn't dropping too low when the starter button is pressed.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hi Kelly... other than this silly inconvenience, I hope all is great with you. Long time no see!

1. Test the battery connections at the battery posts and make sure they are tight. (Try to twist them - they should be very snug.)
2. Sounds like you eliminated the clutch switch as a potential culprit
3. At the back of the car, peering in above the diffuser on the passenger side, you will see the starter. There will be a yellow wire in a white plastic plug. Sometimes the exhaust will melt this white plug and/or yellow wire. See if it all looks in tack. (This yellow wire comes from the ignition switch and tells the starter solenoid to engage.)

Don't worry... I'm sure the cause will be found shortly.... let us know what you find.

Kelly-X1

Mark IV Lifetime
May 24, 2009
RV-Nomad, USA
Hey Kendall, How have you been? I about picked up the phone and called you, but wanted to put it on the forum first. The battery connections are very snug, although when I first checked, before fully charging the battery, the pos was a little loose. A little embarassing, but I'm not sure I can spot the starter, might need a better flashlight; is it at the very back of the engine or towards the front, can it be seen from above? But it does sound like there is connection issue between the battery and the solenoid, not even a click.

Would this happen if the key fob battery was dead? A bad start button switch?

I still need to put a voltmeter on it to see what happens, I actually think nothing will happen, I don't think the start command is going anywhere, althought the dash lights do cycle, so something is connected.

I might have to fly Rich down, unless you are up for a trip to cowtown. Really want to get this going, the last car show of the season is Friday and pushing a GT it is never quite as cool as driving one.....

EDIT- Voltmeter on pos terminal and frame ground(using long test leads) 11.75 w key off, 11.48 key on, push start meter does not change 11.48.

Turn key on,

thanks

Last edited:

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Kelly, give me a call.... 870-931-8004

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
If voltmeter is accurate you should be at around 13 volts on a fully charged battery.

Kelly-X1

Mark IV Lifetime
May 24, 2009
RV-Nomad, USA
If voltmeter is accurate you should be at around 13 volts on a fully charged battery.

I actualy had a full charge and nothing, I think I left the radio on and door open for a little while, plus the attempts at starting, prob why it's showing a little low. I'll recharge tomorrow and take another reading.

I'll give you a call tomorrow mid morning Shelby.

Thanks everyone for your assistance, I'm sure it's the simplest of things.

Kelly-X1

Mark IV Lifetime
May 24, 2009
RV-Nomad, USA
Kendall, looks like you were the winner, starter wire cooked on exhaust, I couldn't see it with my custom exhaust pipes. Shelby came and got the car to fix it and a give a good detail. Thanks to all who played, we have some lovely parting gifts for you.