Camilo Survives !!!

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
The nastiest knock down drag out rumble of the series.... and our guy hangs in to continue as a MOTOR CITY MASTER !!

ajb

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
I found tonight's episode to be a bit irritating. I watch to learn about car design, instead it's turned into a show of mostly obnoxious people.....and if I wanted a reality show based only on silly people I'd go watch Big Brother. Just my opinion.....I hope they get back to respectful car designs......

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
A small request for those of us who record the show to watch later. No spoilers in the thread title please! :wink

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
No Title for Gary's Benefit

Gary, you need to catch up and watch it sooner......

I think the judges like, know and appreciate Camilo's design effort in each car challenge. Although the show does not show a lot of the judges walking around observing the team interactions, they probably do or review the "film" shot during the 3 day work effort. Camilo is not a slacker like some of the others. I mean really lying down and snoozing while the others work on their design and this week he has immunity, crap.

I thought Camilo showed exemplary class as the two team members both tried to throw him under the bus and blame shortcomings on him. They were so confident they both could paste their failures on Camilo and he would be sent packing. Not. Camilo (always in a sports jacket and tie) stayed silent and did not get into a blame match. The lady judge even took up Camilo’s case for him. And again he did not say a word. Both his team mates needed to go. One is now gone. Good riddance.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I found tonight's episode to be a bit irritating. I watch to learn about car design, instead it's turned into a show of mostly obnoxious people.....and if I wanted a reality show based only on silly people I'd go watch Big Brother. Just my opinion.....I hope they get back to respectful car designs......

Honestly, it's reality TV so the expectation is that it will be drama full of whining. Beyond the fact that it's reality TV, it's also about car designers. The whining, backstabbing and bitching represented in this show isn't half as bad as what goes on in car design studios in real life. :lol Last night I thought "hey, finally a taste of what the disaster area really looks like!" If they really wanted to take it up a notch, they should include engineers in the show to explain why the design people can't do X or Y.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If they really wanted to take it up a notch, they should include engineers in the show to explain why the design people can't do X or Y.

And the marketing folks who dream up the ideas and try to sell it before it's even been built when they know it can't be. (It happens in every industry.)

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
If they really wanted to take it up a notch, they should include engineers in the show to explain why the design people can't do X or Y.

Never confuse education with entertainment... :lol

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I don't get that channel. Are the eposides on line somewhere ??

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
And the marketing folks who dream up the ideas and try to sell it before it's even been built when they know it can't be. (It happens in every industry.)

haven't you ever heard the saying - "nothing happens till it's SOLD" that's when the engineers have to design, replicate and mass produce it....

which was a good career for me :biggrin

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I don't get that channel. Are the eposides on line somewhere ??

Try trutv.com

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Vast majority of Car Shows on cable are crap....save UK Top Gear and Mecum Auctions.

The "oh, we can restore this in 1 week " or "I am a inheritance/trust fund-adult collector and this is my 3rd 275 GTB" are puke inducing

Even worse are the Muffin-top, pear-shaped, chunky Trailer-Gals that ever shop now has.

A recent one called underground car chasers, literally had this thug threaten some old school car collector in brazil with wrenches being thrown.

Watching UK Top Gear ultimate "Road Trip" going thru Amalfi Coast, Monaco & St. Tropez...with actual relevant commentary shows that good shows still exist....

or their kitchy productions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLp4FhDAfQk

Last edited:

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
haven't you ever heard the saying - "nothing happens till it's SOLD" that's when the engineers have to design, replicate and mass produce it....

Mikie you are generally right....

But

(for us Boss owners) along comes our good government CARB which says, "Hey Ford, you can't do what your marketing and engineering folks have showed the ownership, were not going to LET you" with regard to TracKey.:thumbsdow

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Vast majority of Car Shows on cable are crap....save UK Top Gear and Mecum Auctions.

The "oh, we can restore this in 1 week " or "I am a inheritance/trust fund-adult collector and this is my 3rd 275 GTB" are puke inducing

Even worse are the Muffin-top, pear-shaped, chunky Trailer-Gals that ever shop now has.

A recent one called underground car chasers, literally had this thug threaten some old school car collector in brazil with wrenches being thrown.

Watching UK Top Gear ultimate "Road Trip" going thru Amalfi Coast, Monaco & St. Tropez...with actual relevant commentary shows that good shows still exist....

or their kitchy productions

The best is the Reliant Robin

[video=youtube;QQh56geU0X8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8[/video]

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
The whining, backstabbing and bitching represented in this show isn't half as bad as what goes on in car design studios in real life. :lol

Not sure I entirely agree with this, and I have worked in the industry on concept car design, and although it was both it was more on the technology side. The difference is in industry everybody has a boss, a true boss. Not the pretend tv boss. And when your job and promotions and raises are on the line for good work and team spirit that has a way of making people nice.....or at least appearing nice.

I was recently asked to be on a team to do some marketing video to sell a reality show about building crazy Burning Man art cars. I said I'd join if it was a no non-sense show about the artistic building process. I was assured by the director it was. Filming started, and it was immediately about artificial conflict, silly unrealistic deadlines, people drama etc. I walked and never looked back.

I guess if that's what people want that's fine. Just not my thing, and I wish they would have done this show with a group of true industry professionals, that know how to act, like Camilo, and not a bunch of loner hot-rodders that are trying to emulate what they see on the other crappy car build shows. That's exactly why Camilo stands out....he's been in industry, the others haven't.

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles

This was like the best ever....I almost choked when he drove down the street and took that first left-hander.....so so frickin funny......

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
.....or at least appearing nice.

I can definitely agree with that.

That's exactly why Camilo stands out....he's been in industry, the others haven't.

Chunner and Bryan were both previously car designers at major OEMs, and Darby is a CCS product, so there are at least a few legit vehicle designers on the show. I don't know why they even picked some of the others given that car design is difficult enough, and nearly impossible compressed into a 24-48 time period.

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
I was too lazy to look it up, and I was afraid I'd be wrong that there are other industry guys on there. But, that does help prove the point in that those guys seem pretty reasonable and decent.....

On this show they compete against each other, even when on the same team, as was obvious when those two dudes threw Camilo under the bus. In industry, in general you compete with your team against the world....

Last edited:

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Who is this Camiilo guy?

Dar-by....Dar-by.....Dar-by!! ;-))

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
90 cent weekly allowance. Hell yes. I remember flipping out when one time we go to the store and the price with tax for a HotWheel went up to $1.17. Parents covered the difference. Still have those cars, at least the ones that weren't blown up.

You say Cameeeelo, I say Camilo. Just me?

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA

Whenever I introduce Top Gear to anybody, I start them off with this episode. How can one not be hooked after seeing it!?