California Digital Plate

PilotMarky

Ford GT Team Alumni
Dec 11, 2018
Hi, anybody in California using the new digital plates? Thinking about it. There are two kinds, a battery one and a hard wired one. For the latter, does anybody know of a suitable power takeoff that could suit this use case?

Reactions: dshears

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Minimum $20 a month? No thanks. Keep it in California

Reactions: 2112 and Special K

Kpgarage

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2019
Great phrase “keep it in California “
well done
wish it were law

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Do they have built in transponders?

I know Washington is trying everything they can do to get a transponder in every car.

Last edited:

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
I agree.

Don't take it personal, but keep it all in California. If that isn't possible, cut it loose, and let it float away to a paradise like PRC. See how they react to "progressives".

( My thinking is clouded by our marvelous NJ Governor, who is determined to either follow or out-California California on everything they do. See NJ gun laws for examples. Country going to hell in a basket, and CA is leading the charge, )

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I wouldn't do it.

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The internet was a terrible mistake.

alexhay3

Subscribing Spectator
Nov 2, 2016
Duxbury, MA
Matt Farah from The Smoking Tire Podcast interviewed Selika Josiah Talbott who has worked as a product liability attorney as well as the Chief Operating Officer of the NJ Turnpike. She was the closing speaker for the recent McKenzie-sponsored conference in Germany, which Farah attended.
They discussed California adopting digital license plates at the 1:09:15 mark.

Reactions: Special K

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
The internet was a terrible mistake.
really?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Matt Farah from The Smoking Tire Podcast interviewed Selika Josiah Talbott who has worked as a product liability attorney as well as the Chief Operating Officer of the NJ Turnpike. She was the closing speaker for the recent McKenzie-sponsored conference in Germany, which Farah attended.
They discussed California adopting digital license plates at the 1:09:15 mark.

Interesting. Thank you for linking this.

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Digital license plates is a non starter deal breaker. If my 2019 would have been offered with Mechanical Gauges, Toggle Switches and less touch screen, I would've check that box.
Sorry the CaliCancer is trying spread at you all. Stalwart here, fighting the good fight here in Fort Cali-Alamo.
To late to send reinforcements, we've hit the Iceberg.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
So you get to pay the state an additional fee for extra weight and maintenance? Think I would pass.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Plus now its easier to track you & your driving habits!

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Does it offer lewd messaging to guys behind you ?

Other than that I fully agree with @Ed Sims. To be honest I did not get what the advantage for the average driver is. I wonder what happens when that thing is running out of energy (for whatever reason). Another phantastic reason to be searched ?

Reactions: Ed Sims and dshears

dshears

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 26, 2009
Fremont Ca
Just think, wouldn't it be exciting to know that in the future it might be set up to automatically send you a ticket if you accidentally accelerate too quickly or go over the speed limit.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Just think, wouldn't it be exciting to know that in the future it might be set up to automatically send you a ticket if you accidentally accelerate too quickly or go over the speed limit.

When questioned, our DOT admitted that the transponders would indeed be able to transmit this data.

But they promised, cross their hearts, that isn’t what they will be used for.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
When questioned, our DOT admitted that the transponders would indeed be able to transmit this data.

But they promised, cross their hearts, that isn’t what they will be used for.

BS, that is the next step.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
FYI it's not cheap :California-based startup Reviver is the only company offering digital license plates right now, and they’re expensive, costing up to $1,100for four years for a hard-wired version. (The cost for a traditional license plate, registration card and sticker totals $69, according to state’s DMV.) A battery-powered version is available for an about $20 per month subscription, or $215 a year, for four years.

PilotMarky

Ford GT Team Alumni
Dec 11, 2018
Alright, you talked me out of it! The only reason I was thinking about it was because it is black and white which would look better on our car LOL. I definitely am not in favor of a transponder that they undoubtedly would use one day. :|

Reactions: 2112