C&D: Serious Computing Chops

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Recommend going to the URL and blowing up the graphics. Nice stuff.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/latest-ford-gt-info-serious-computing-chops-may-pack-700-horsepower/

The test mules are rolling and we expect the endurance-racing version of Ford’s GT supercar to be presented next month (June) in Paris shortly before the 83rd running of the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Until then, here are some tidbits of information—some new, some merely reminders—dribbled from Ford’s severely restrictor-plated PR engine at a recent media event.

The twin-turbo EcoBoost 3.5-liter V-6 engine will share bore and stroke dimensions (92.6 mm x 86.7 mm, or 3.64 in x 3.41 in) with existing applications including Ford cars and trucks and RoushYates-built IMSA Daytona Prototype endurance racers. Expect at least 700 horsepower.

Ford Performance engineers are testing both carbon-fiber and forged-aluminum wheels for GT use. Five-bolt and center-lock retention schemes are also being considered. Brembo opposed-piston calipers and carbon-ceramic brake rotors are, thus far, a given.

CFPR00178_FordGT_ElectronicSensors_HR3-626x483.jpg

To serve all of the things that didn’t exist when Ford engineered its second-generation GT—including four distinct driving modes (Normal, Sport, Track, and Wet), active aerodynamics, variable damping, and advanced traction- and stability-control programs—the third-gen has an elaborate nervous system consisting of:

• More than 50 vehicle sensors
• 28 microprocessors analyzing 300 megabytes of data per second
• Six CAN networks carrying 3000 digital messages distinct to the GT

CFPR00178_FordGT_Microprocessors_HR4-626x483.jpg

The GT’s doors hinge on an axis parallel to the windshield A-pillars, making them a hybrid of gullwing and scissor pieces. This design was selected to provide a narrow cockpit surrounded by wide airflow channels to the intercoolers and the rear wing. The doors provide ample side-collision protection, although they contribute little to the GT’s torsional and bending rigidity. Expect ingress and egress to be difficult. Seating is so closely coupled that the driver can easily touch the frameless glass on the passenger’s side.

While the seat bottoms are fixed directly to the molded floorpan, the backrests adjust through approximately 10 degrees. The pedals and steering wheel have nearly eight inches of fore-and-aft adjustment range. The steering wheel also telescopes.

Multimatic Motorsports and Engineering—a longtime Ford ally and Markham, Ontario, racing enterprise—will manufacture the GT’s molded-carbon-fiber tub and exterior body panels. According to Ford, Multimatic supplied lightweight materials for the 77 examples of the Aston Martin One-77 cars built and sold between 2009 and 2012.

Car deliveries are tentatively scheduled to commence by the end of 2016 with a 2017 model-year designation.

In 2016, Ford will compete in the Le Mans GTE category, which began in 2011. Key rivals are the Ferrari 458 Italia GT2, Porsche 911 RSR, and Chevrolet Corvette C7.R, all racing versions of production-based road cars. During the past four years, Ferrari earned two wins versus one each for Porsche and Corvette.

Depending on the success at Le Mans, Ford should have little trouble selling the 250 road cars it intends to build per annum, even with a price that could be as high as $400,000. A class victory in France will extend the production program a few years, but don’t expect total volume to ever exceed 1000 GTs.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Great info for techies!

Thanks!

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
keep it coming Dave. I'm eating this stuff up!

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
Nothing more frustrating than having the means to buy one but still probably won't be able to get my hands on one.I wish they would build more.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Outside temp sensor! Wish the 05 had one of those.....

Does this car run on 12v? Obvious at least a lithium ion battery for weight I would guess.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Outside temp sensor! Wish the 05 had one of those.....

Here you go...

image.jpg

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Nothing more frustrating than having the means to buy one but still probably won't be able to get my hands on one.I wish they would build more.

The free market will find a way to accommodate you. That is what is great about America!

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Did you really say at least 700hp? OMG

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

That's for the race engine that has to run one race before being rebuilt. Expect the street version to be built for longevity.

Still, it's quite a powerhorse for a puny little V6, eh? Any questions about the trade off for a naturally aspirated V8 or a blown V6 in the GTE class?

I'll guarantee there will be both Ford Racing and other aftermarket that will bring it up to the racing version and higher.

Matech GT1

GT Owner
Apr 2, 2009
London
Hubba hubba.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

Ignore that. C&D has a problem with HP estimates these days.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia

Nice, very nice.ni refuse to ignore.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
There is a turbo inlet restriction for the race car that certainly isn't factored in to that value.

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
"Seating is so closely coupled that the driver can easily touch the frameless glass on the passenger’s side." - Now that is tight.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Ford needs to be paying to double the production capacity of the tubs, so they can build more than 250 per year. It would be a small outlay to accomdate the demand for the car. If the CnD article is close to correct, then 1000 (or even 1500) won't be enough for us mere mortals to get our hands on one!

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
700+........:wink

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Nice, very nice.ni refuse to ignore.

You can, but don't blame me when you're disappointed. :lol

Doesn't need 700+.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
650 hp in this car will get you into major trouble and acceleration rates of speed very quickly. wait till ya all see how lite it will be. Alot of my supercar friends are saying no way it can get as lite as i believe it will be..

StormBringer

Jul 18, 2014
Greenwich & Malibu
I was reading that report yesterday afternoon along with this but nothing new here.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/05/13/nissan-toyota-recall/27222545/