Buyer profile?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
SteveA said:
Here are the pictures of the bumper and motor.
nice engine, did you polish anything else besides the blower? I am thinkinking about the big Whipple charger that is on back order and has a polish option.
How about a close up with the hatch open....please?? :biggrin

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
VPC said:
It all depends upon the definition of average. The three most common ways of defining average are mean (your example), median and mode. Some accepted methods also throw out the top and bottom x% of responses which removes information that would skew the results (this would eliminate the ultra high-income owners, as well as the asset-rich but income-poor owners who sell assets to buy the car).

Ford doesn't have a clue of my wealth and never will, so I have to guess that any demographics that Ford discloses must be based on Loan/Lease applications. Just a guess.

can't imagine anyone leasing or borrowing to buy a toy, but I reckon it happens.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
bony said:
can't imagine anyone leasing or borrowing to buy a toy, but I reckon it happens.

You would think, but in looking around at Ferrarichat.com a very, very surprising number of people had financed their cars. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there are more than a few GT'ers financing their rides as well, especially in light of its very high appeal to non-traditional exotic buyers.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
VPC said:
I don't believe in borrowing or leasing for toys, but I can't judge someone else's value they put on things. I haven't borrowed, leased, or even filled out a credit app in a bazillion years. As far as I know, my credit rating might be zero :eek

A company like this www.putnamleasing.com wouldn't be in business if people didn't lease toys. Also, I believe Chase was leasing/financing people buying Ferraris or Maseratis.

I can see leasing an airplane as a business tool, no problem. But leasing a toy is beyond me. Now, I will confess, in order to meet the auction house's lines of credit requirements and not open an l/c or move money into my bank and have it held for a period of time, I use Putnam to provide a line of credit. Then I write my personal check and use the Putnam letter as a stand by vehicle.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
After watching this thread for a few weeks I must jump in.

First, the only part of the original buyer's profile guess that was remotely close to me was income and level of education (I guess job level, too, as I'm the equivalent of a "manager of section"). I didn't pay $220,000, I paid exactly MSRP, though I know it was only my connections at Ford that made that happen. I was born three months AFTER the last time the original GT40 won Le Mans, so I'm not the guy who fell in love with this car when he was between 6 and 20, and now can finally buy his own version (I fell in love with what this car represents about 10 years ago, when I finally researched all the hype surrounding this whole "GT40 thing" I had been hearing about for years).

I guess I'm also male and live in the Southwest, so that's close. Does owning a 1973 Saab Sonett count as already owning 2 sports cars? In my opinion it shouldn't. :lol I did finance part of the car's ownership, but only because I got a screaming rate from my credit union and can do better with the money in investments -- not that I have a huge porfolio.

I was at Crystal Cruisers car cruise (in Orange County near PCH) a few months back and a guy came up and started wanting to sell me some membership in a car detailing program. All I could think was, "Why would I pay someone else to regularly detail my car? That's one of my favorite parts of owning it. Oh wait, this is one of those people that assumes I am 'rich' because I bought this car." For me, the worst part of owning the GT is the inaccurate message it sends to other people regarding my income level, but I love the car too much to really care much about that.

So, in regards to the idea that exotic car marketers know their market, I'm sure they would be totally off with me. But I don't use the term "rich" lightly, because as tough as it is for me to fathom making millions of dollars a year I also know it is difficult for many people in this country to imaging making over six figures a year. I know this because up until about the year 2000 it was difficult for ME to imagine making $100,000-plus a year. And now I'm sure many people would look at my situation and consider me "rich."

Whether I'm "rich" or not is immaterial, I've worked very hard and caught some good breaks so here I am. I suspect many others in the forum, regardless of their income level, would use the same terms to describe their situation. The best part is that now I've fully embraced the "anything is possible" aspect of life, and thus I no longer assume I won't get to the "million-dollar" level some day. And as some of you probably know, getting to that mindset can be the toughest challenge we all face.

BTW, love the purple R/T. I also have a 1970 Plymouth GTX with a numbers-matching 440 and Air Grabber hood in "Burnt Orange" metallic (FK5 for the Mopar freaks). I got this car from the second owner when I was a junior in high school. It was essentially in mint condition with 84,000 miles on the odometer -- for $4,000. Funny thing is, now when I drive that car it also gives people the wrong idea about my income level. :rofl

Last edited:

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
bony said:
nice engine, did you polish anything else besides the blower? I am thinkinking about the big Whipple charger that is on back order and has a polish option.
How about a close up with the hatch open....please?? :biggrin

Also polished the 4 alum. engine compartment support braces, the 3 fluids resivors, and the Borla exhaust. I will snap one with hatch open when I get a second.
As for the big Whipple. There is a local dyno shop (mostly Fords although they did supercharge my old Z06) that is doing a TV show on performance upgrades for the GT. They will make dyno pulls befor and after. The upgrades will be a dyno tune only, then exhaust and tune and then the pully swap.
He believes 650RWHP will be no problem on 91 pump. I gotta believe that should be plenty for putt'n around town but I have been wrong before. :biggrin

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
SteveA said:
Also polished the 4 alum. engine compartment support braces, the 3 fluids resivors, and the Borla exhaust. I will snap one with hatch open when I get a second.
As for the big Whipple. There is a local dyno shop (mostly Fords although they did supercharge my old Z06) that is doing a TV show on performance upgrades for the GT. They will make dyno pulls befor and after. The upgrades will be a dyno tune only, then exhaust and tune and then the pully swap.
He believes 650RWHP will be no problem on 91 pump. I gotta believe that should be plenty for putt'n around town but I have been wrong before. :biggrin

Look forward to seeing the pictures, I assume you had to take the blower off to polish it? Who did your work, how big a hassle was it to pull and polish the fluid resevoirs?

I am sure the forum would like to know more about the shop you are working with. Whipple advised the 3.2L unit should be available after the first of the year. I will check and see if he is still on schedule. Thanks!

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
bony said:
Look forward to seeing the pictures, I assume you had to take the blower off to polish it? Who did your work, how big a hassle was it to pull and polish the fluid resevoirs?

I am sure the forum would like to know more about the shop you are working with. Whipple advised the 3.2L unit should be available after the first of the year. I will check and see if he is still on schedule. Thanks!

The blower is o-ringed and very easy to R&R but polished all by hand (they did'nt want to break it down and the coating was a bitch to remove). The resevoirs were easy and look great. They also made the replacement bumper rails/plugs. Ford wanted $1200 for each one (they are very proud of them).
The shop that did the work is Coast General Performance in Costa Mesa Ca. Ask for Ron. 714 540 5710