Buyer profile?

bitzman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 7, 2005
I can't believe that Ford doesn't have a buyer profile by now of who bought the first year's GTs. Love to read it if anyone has it. Covering such categories as:

Annual income:
Job level: worker bee, manager of section, business owner
No. of sports cars presently owned:
Brands of sports cars presently owned:
Region of country: NE,SW, NW, SE, MW, etc.
Sex by percentage
Retail price paid:

I'm predicting 45-55 yrs. old, BA or BS , $125,000, manager of section, 2 sports cars already owned,maybe Viper or muscle car, SW, 95% male, $220,000. How far am I off?

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
First post here, and hello to all.
I bought a red/all option 05' #448 and all they asked me was how was I gonna pay. :rolleyes I wonder how much info they have.

I drove it to the John Force Holiday car show last weekend. Popped the hatch to show off the polished blower, braces, exhaust and fluid tanks and they went nuts. What a fun car to own as well as drive.
I also removed the rear bumper and had some alum. caps made. The back looks really clean, more like the orig.
Great web site by the way!
Steve

Last edited:

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
SteveA said:
First post here, and hello to all.
I bought a red/all option 05' #448 and all they asked me was how was I gonna pay. :rolleyes I wonder how much info they have.

I drove it to the John Force Holiday car show last weekend. Popped the hatch to show off the polished blower, braces, exhaust and fluid tanks and they went nuts. What a fun car to own as well as drive.
I also removed the rear bumper and had some alum. caps made. The back looks really clean, more like the orig.
Great wed site by the way!
Steve

Welcome Steve. How about posting some pics of he rear end of your GT sans bumper? Thanks.

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
centerpunch said:
You are WAY high on the average price paid.

Details of volumes and prices ranges are here:
http://www.fordgtprices.com/pages/6/index.htm

I'd say you're also way low on income.....I don't think 125K a year is even close to the avg income of a GT buyer.

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
bitzman said:
I can't believe that Ford doesn't have a buyer profile by now of who bought the first year's GTs. Love to read it if anyone has it. Covering such categories a

I'm predicting 45-55 yrs. old, BA or BS , $125,000, manager of section, 2 sports cars already owned,maybe Viper or muscle car, SW, 95% male, $220,000. How far am I off?
My guesses-
45-55?- that probably captures the majority
BA or BS, manager of section, $125,000?- well, not sure how many middle managers with a bachelors degree are making that kind of money- half that is more like it. I guess you must mean household income?-- sure, some owners with bachelor's degree, but lots of owners with PhD, MD, DDS, etc.- average = master's degree? I would think the majoity of owners are big business owners or well-educated professionals in their field.

$125,000?- assuming we are talking household income, that it is about 2.3 years of income after taxes just to pay for the GT! Seems way low for an average to me. Maybe $190000?

SW, 95% male, already own a Viper or muscle car?- these sound ok

$220000?- harder to guess- a very simple estimate : 400 early ones at $220000 average, 1400 at $180000 average, 400 newest ones at $167000 average; overall maybe $185000 for the GTs sold so far?

Last edited:

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Why would Ford tell?

This is stuff i doubt they would want to spill publicly. I am sure they know all about Gt owners.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I'm sure that many owners of exotics would not want to either reveal or brag about their income or anything else. Why would they?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
It's virtually impossible to compile these statistics in this bracket of autos.

I'm guessing that mean income is significantly higher than 125k. If I had to guess, it'd be closer to an extra zero on that number. Age is ~ right. Education won't matter. An MBA buys you a nice plaque these days, not much more. And I'm positive virtually every owner owns at least 1 or 2 prior exotics, obviously the Viper is big on this board thus far, but Ferrari, Lambo and Aston have a big presence as well.

The dream of Average Joe being able to snag a GT with his 75k income and blue oval loyalties is nice, but I'm sure it's not the reality. 150k is just so much money for any item that disposable income gets spent on...

All I know is I'm glad Ford built it for whoever can buy it!

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Florida Chris said:
Welcome Steve. How about posting some pics of he rear end of your GT sans bumper? Thanks.

Here are the pictures of the bumper and motor.

Attachments

• GT_final1.jpg
    GT_final1.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 290

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Thanks for the photos. I sure like how the car looks without the bumper.

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
Steve,....thanks for the pictures. Have you thought about painting your caps body color?

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Yes, the cap on the pasenger side still needs a bit of "finish" work. I will then decided if I will paint or even drill them to blend in with the rest of the back.

Last edited:

cudacharlie

Dec 21, 2005
SoCal
I reckon you're right about adding another zero to $125k/year average income for GT owners. At least, I hope you are. I don't know if spending eighteen months' pre-tax income on a second car is too wise, although I've considered it more than once...

From where I'm sitting, the GT looks like the beginning and end of sports cars, kudos to you owners! I hope to join you soon, as long as I don't have to sell the 'Cuda convertible to get there.

Attachments

• charliecmopars.jpg
    charliecmopars.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 162

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Do you you want to sell the Charger? Looks like a 69RT?

cudacharlie

Dec 21, 2005
SoCal
The Charger is a real 1970 R/T U-code, NOM, 440-4bbl, 727 auto trans, original AC, PW, PDB, 6-way seat, leather interior R/T car. Same taillights as '69, but '70 has the ridiculous (and cool) loop-shaped front bumper. No 5mph bumpers here, it's pure deadly steel!

A beast, to be sure. I'm building the mopar collection so that it won't hurt when I sell one or two to pay for the GT! A hemicuda convertible is a great cruisier, but I wouldn't want to race you guys, at least not if I had to go around any turns... :lol

Seriously, much love for the GT and you guys are probably having some awesome seat time....

Anybody want to swap me their GT for a small Mopar collection, let me know!

texasgt

GT Owner
Aug 12, 2005
Interesting observation on the avg income of a GT Owner:
Michael Dell has at least one GT and if the quoted figure for his annual income of $236M is close, then assuming 2000 cars delivered, the rest of us would have to average $7,000/year to give an overall buyers average of $125k..

Yeah I think you can probably add a zero to the $125k….

cudacharlie said:
I reckon you're right about adding another zero to $125k/year average income for GT owners. At least, I hope you are. I don't know if spending eighteen months' pre-tax income on a second car is too wise, although I've considered it more than once...

From where I'm sitting, the GT looks like the beginning and end of sports cars, kudos to you owners! I hope to join you soon, as long as I don't have to sell the 'Cuda convertible to get there.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The reason I speculated you could add at least a 0 to the income guess, is because even if you use a mean or median calculation, the population of known owners has an extremely high income. If you're measuring wealth, it's probably astronomically higher.

I calculated the mean and median income of 4 people I know who own GT's (who luckily are required to publicly disclose their income) and both were roughly in the 3,500,000 range. Add in people like Kid Rock, Jay Leno, Sammy Hagar, Paul Shirley, etc...and no matter what everyone else makes, the numbers simply have to be in the millions.

teflon

Nov 11, 2005
DBK,

Not sure who Paul Shirley is. Do you mean ex-microsoft exec Jon Shirley?

Greg A

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
teflon said:
DBK,

Not sure who Paul Shirley is. Do you mean ex-microsoft exec Jon Shirley?

Greg A

You're right. I was frankensteining Jon Shirley and Paul Allen :lol Must have been that Blazers game I was at the other day...

bitzman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 7, 2005
OK, enough already on the income...

I admit I was way way off on the income. Likethe title of that song
"Been Down So Long,Looks Like Up to Me" $125,000 a year looks like a lot of money to me. But I'll admit being self employed I have no idea of what salaries people make.

But whoever said on the net he can't imagine people who buy cars revealing their income, that may be true for forumites not wanting to speak up but marketers of exotic cars know everything about their buyers or they are not doing their job. They know what kind of watch you wear, what kind of clothes you wear, how much your house cost,and they fine tune their products accordingly. That's why I am surprised Ford doesn't have a chronometric Ford GT watch and is not supporting an Owner's Club, because those two things go along with exotic high performance cars.

Anyway, still want to know the real buying profile of the 2005 buyers.Ford no doubt has the data but in case they want to re-enter this arena after the Ford GT winds down production, evidentally doesn't want to reveal it.