Business Owners....

GTx

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2006
Mansfield, Texas
So here is a deviation to the thread. How do you present a purchase like this to your parnters (understand that they are not equal partners)

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Neilda said:
I guess in this life we make our own choices and should not be ashamed of our success. In the UK (unlike America) we are ashamed of wealth and nice things get vandalised. One of the (many) good atributes of America is that success is genuinely applauded.

Sorry - I'm rambling! I think we're all (on this Forum) reasonably sensitive people and it sounds like we're making the appropriate decisions according to our particular circumstances......

So very well said, thanks! :thumbsup

KERRY P

GT Owner
Dec 31, 2005
YORBA LINDA CALIFORNIA
I drive everything from a beat up 95 Ranger with 250,000 miles, to my GT, to work and have never seen or felt any bad vibes from my 1200 employees. I believe it is all about the relationship you have as an owner with your employees and the respect you garner from being a hard working, and most importantly, a humble executive.

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
I'm commenting as an employee. I wish my boss brought his GT to work! It's a smaller law firm & the fact that he could afford such a car told me the company was doing well. Aside from being one of the most modest & kind people I know, he's worked his butt off & earned the car. He's also very fair to his employees.

We all have chosen our path in life (education, career, etc). Congratulations all of you who have taken the risk of starting a business & have worked grueling hours and weekends to make it successful. I would hope that you'd be proud of what you've made & not ashamed! :thumbsup

When I bought my sports car I heard a few comments from coworkers about how much money I must be making, but I didn't feel I needed to comment or defend myself. It's not always a matter of how much money you make, but how you choose to spend it. Besides, most of the people I see at work have stopped to chat about the car. Very positive response for me. (I think I've met just about all the guys in our building thanks to the car!) :biggrin Most of all I just love to drive it & look at it.

In short, the car is for you & not your employees, so if you're comfortable bringing it, great. If not, keep it home & enjoy it on your own time & w/your friends!

DeaconBlues

GT Owner
Feb 7, 2006
New Mexico
Being a public official, I definitely do not drive the GT to work. There are employees who know I own one (I bought from the local dealer) but most do not realize what the car really is or how much it cost.

I have heard that one of my peers commented to one of my employees, "How does the........afford that car"? He, of course, knows nothing of my financial situation and how many cars I've bought and sold over the years to supply my car addiction. I've been a car guy forever. So, while I do not hide the fact that I own a GT, I certainly don't advertise it, either. I just enjoy the hell out of it!

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
DeaconBlues said:
Being a public official, I definitely do not drive the GT to work. There are employees who know I own one (I bought from the local dealer) but most do not realize what the car really is or how much it cost.

I have heard that one of my peers commented to one of my employees, "How does the........afford that car"?

Let me be the first to go on record in calling for an complete investigative audit of the federal highway funds earmarked for the Great State of New Mexico.

:biggrin

stephen_becker

Permanent Vacation
Jan 26, 2006
atlanta, ga & charleston, sc
Being that my business is buying and selling 1965 - 1970 Shelby Cobra Mustangs not only do I drive my GT to work but I write the damn thing off on my corporate taxes, just as Uncle Sam says I can do, because IT is my company car!!

I can have my cake AND eat it to!!

Stephen Becker

www.becker-performance.com

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Stephen, congratulations on the car and also for having such an interesting web site! (Just kidding :biggrin ).

Deacon - have you managed to blow any speakers with the opening guitar part on H Gang yet?

DeaconBlues

GT Owner
Feb 7, 2006
New Mexico
SteveA: I did spend some time in the private sector.:biggrin

Neil: What???? No speakers, but the eardrums are gone.:lol

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
My executive transport once included a skateboard (a 5' custom wooden board with stringers) and a very ratty bicycle with a seat that was held together with duct tape. I had way more comments from employees regarding those than any of the cars.

Fords4life351

Permanent Vacation
Mar 22, 2006
Colton, CA
CHAD said:
I've found this car elicits nothing but total excitement, whereas the Itailian exotics really piss people off. I drive mine to work from time to time and EVERYBODY loves it.

I would never consider driving a 430,575 or Merci to work (or my Continental for that matter).
you hit the nain on the head.... a Ford GT seems to be a "cool" "bad ass" type of car more than anything, while a Ferrari or anything alike is more of a "look I have money" or "I'm better than you" attitude. Obviously theres exceptions to every rule, but if someone doesnt know you I think you'd have a better chance of making a pleasant impression in the (American car) Ford than an imported exotic.

neilhellr

GT Owner
Oct 14, 2005
Central IL
All my employees know about the GT. In fact, without them I wouldn't have a GT. As a reward for their hard work, we decided to give any employee who would like the opportunity to take it for a spin (with me as co-pilot). I'm just waiting for the weather to get nice around here and we'll set aside a day for test drives. My hope is that they are as excited as I am!

-Neil
Heritage 0009

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Well, I took her to work today. It is a long story, but I even ended up taking her to work in the rain! :ack
I tried to avoid driving her in the rain, but had to do it. I dont mind rain water on the car, but I do mind the morons rear ending me. :eek
Anyway, I FINALLY took a pic. :biggrin

Attachments

• outside.jpg
    outside.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 95

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Well Guys, I gave a month notice at a job I had been at for over 10 years. I did the Water World Stunt Show @ Universal Studios in Hollywood. So in September of 2005 I had my boss/manager get me a drive on pass to the lot and I drove that baby right up to the Water World venue. Did my last couple of shows respectively and cleaned out my LOCKER (yes,LOCKER) filled my passenger seat up with stunt pads, old costumes and a helmet and drove off into the sunset. Wouldn't of done it any other way. Loved my Job of 10 years.Love my co-workers who are still friends of mine. I wanted to end that part of my profession the most happiest and memorable way. My wife and friends came to see my last show and the GT was parked in the VIP parking behind the venue. I guess if you don't want to drive it to work while you're working there, then drive it in on the last day you're working there. :cheers

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Go to Vegas and sign on with "O."

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
I have friends in "O" and I'll be out there this month for the Stuntmen Associations' Golf Tourney. Want me to say ,"HI" to anyone for ya? Hey, I grew up in the northwest burbs of Chicago, Roselle/Bloomingdale :thumbsup

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Sorry, I don't know anyone in the show, but was impressed when I saw it last year. I'm down south across from St. Louis but have a sister in Schaumburg. They can't wait for me to drive the GT up to show off.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
WhiteP, I don't think that's true in every case but perhaps it's OK to be in an Aston in the UK because it's made in Britain and, despite being Ford owned (and designed by a Dutchman who reports to a German), most would think it's a British car. In Italy, the Ferrari is probably the epitome of the Italian motor industry.

As CEO of a UK company, I am told that to be seen in a Jaguar, Aston or Range Rover is better than being seen in a Lamborghini, Ferrari or perhaps GT as it openly supports British workers.

The fact that we Brits don't really have an automotive industry anymore (apart from some comedy cars like Bristol or Morgan), escapes the 'workers'!

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Neilda said:
WhiteP, I don't think that's true in every case but perhaps it's OK to be in an Aston in the UK because it's made in Britain and, despite being Ford owned (and designed by a Dutchman who reports to a German), most would think it's a British car. In Italy, the Ferrari is probably the epitome of the Italian motor industry.

As CEO of a UK company, I am told that to be seen in a Jaguar, Aston or Range Rover is better than being seen in a Lamborghini, Ferrari or perhaps GT as it openly supports British workers.

The fact that we Brits don't really have an automotive industry anymore (apart from some comedy cars like Bristol or Morgan), escapes the 'workers'!

Neil

We Yanks don't understand the nationalism issue. Yes it exists here amongst union workers (not just UAW) who would like to ban "foreign" cars.

After living in the UK and South America for 5 years I began to understand the nationalistic pride that is affixed to anything made in their home country.

Dave

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
barondw said:
Neil

We Yanks don't understand the nationalism issue. Yes it exists here amongst union workers (not just UAW) who would like to ban "foreign" cars.

After living in the UK and South America for 5 years I began to understand the nationalistic pride that is affixed to anything made in their home country.

Dave

Dave, do you think one of the attractions of the GT is that it is an American car,
I am proud of our great marque like the Viper, Vette and Cobra??? It is sad to me that our automotive business has lost share to Japan.