Brought tears to my eyes,

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
Wichita Falls, Texas 76306
Gary, I hate to hear that news! I know first hand how bad it hurts to lose a car you really love. I left one of my over-300mph top fuel cars in the dumpster at one of the Seattle races. Sad day, sad sight.

But the main thing is you are OK.

Sometimes it seems that we are tougher than our toys.

Concentrate on your new toy on the way- it seems that all of us on here are just so incredibly blessed!

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
Crap! So sorry, but at least the cars are safe for their occupants. So many of these cars got totaled early on as the drivers did not realize how much power they had, took them out on cold tires and cold roads, gave them a bit of throttle and right around they went. I am on pins and needles every time I drive mine because of this, but have been driving mid engined cars since I was 22 so know how they can get away from the driver so easily. Don't feel so bad Gary, you know how to drive your Ford, so this was pure accident! Hopefully the car did not blow the air bag and can be repaired so we will not lose another one of the marque. (unfortunately the parts are so expensive and hard to find)

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Glad you are ok and I echo the sentiments that you can surely replace the car. I'm glad you posted this because so many new members here with "new" 05-06 cars. Usually some forum member as winter approaches reminds everyone to be extra careful with cold temps coming as the massive torque does not do well with such road temps. Thankful you were not hurt.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Hate to read these. Good luck.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Really hate to hear this Gary but glad you are okay

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
Yeah damit ' it makes you wonder why. With that being said it's the health of you and your family it really matters in life. Material things are menial.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Bummer for sure. GT can be repaired or replaced. Something you will remember for ever. Been there, done that.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Glad you are ok. I too spun my first one and destroyed it.

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Really sorry this had to happen to you. I too am very glad you are okay.
Hopefully you can get her repaired.
New 05/06 owners please take this tread seriously and proceed with caution anytime the tires are cold and especially when the season changes.
I am considering running Hoosiers from now on, no exceptions.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Heading up to Sinclair Ford this am about 7:15 to install new fuel gauge. Clear day with temperature 20 degrees, high :cry:humidity on to I-55 north into passing lane in 3rd gear. I've done this hundreds of times. Never when it was this cold with my GT. Frost on highway. Started to spin, couldn't keep up with it and slammed a guardrail about 60 MPH or so. Damaged every surface of GT. Probably totaled. No damage top me other than a crushed ego.
I feel for you my friend.My heart felt condolences. But I agree Rich Brooks can fix anything ! Don't write it off.

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Thanks again for your concerns. We GT owners in many ways are brothers with some sisters as well.

spyder625

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 23, 2008
glad your okay.. just fix back up...

Tomcat

GT Owner
Glad you are ok. I too spun my first one and destroyed it.
I am sure there are a number of this forum who can say the same thing! I spun mine doing "parade laps" at Virginia International Raceway (rollercoaster) and luckily just tore up some grass.

Domantas

Jul 22, 2019
I see many suggest convincing the insurance fixing it. Even tho I might sound biased as I am looking for a GT parts car to rebuild so I could actually own one, having insurance pay this guy fair market value is far a better option. Repaired car will loose value, insurance wont compensate for that, but if car contained enough damage to be a write off usually insurance pay their customers top $. Any write off I've ever seen always been valued more than what the car would actually sell for all in one piece. If thats the case, he might be able to get a lower millage example for the money he is being compensated for.

Domantas

Jul 22, 2019
On that note, any pictures of the car? We would probably be able to tell if its potentially a write off.

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Adjuster examining my GT today. Will know shortly what all my options are. Assuming it's totaled i intend get best cost for me to buy salvage. Once i have that figure I will seek offers to buy salvage from me while simultaneously geting hard estimate on what i could have it repaired for. Then i will make my decision on what to do.

Reactions: roketman

Tomcat

GT Owner
I bought back and rebuilt my "salvaged" NSX. I have been happy with the results/project/investment/etc...but GT parts may be another story.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Adjuster examining my GT today. Will know shortly what all my options are. Assuming it's totaled i intend get best cost for me to buy salvage. Once i have that figure I will seek offers to buy salvage from me while simultaneously geting hard estimate on what i could have it repaired for. Then i will make my decision on what to do.
Rich Books can advise you. He has everything in parts and the talent to make it like brand new

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Rich Books can advise you. He has everything in parts and the talent to make it like brand new
I will give him opportunity if options to repair presents itself.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gary that really sucks, I'm sorry bro. I've had a miraculous escape in my 2006 at VIR and I haven't driven the same since. You'll fix it or get another one and it will all be good. Hang in there.

Chip

Reactions: THamonGT and Simon