Brought tears to my eyes,

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
I would definitely try to convince the insurance company to fix it, even if you decide NOT to fix it and just pocket the money. The damaged car is worth MUCH More with a clean title rather than a salvage one

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Bummed Gary, but glad you are okay!

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Gary that really sucks, I'm sorry bro. I've had a miraculous escape in my 2006 at VIR and I haven't driven the same since. You'll fix it or get another one and it will all be good. Hang in there.

Chip
What happend to you at VIR Chip?

QSS

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
What happend to you at VIR Chip?

At Rally 5 (VIR) I had twin turbos on my yellow 2006 GT and it had insane acceleration. There's a slight right hand bend just before the start finish line. On the front straight I was enjoying the mind warp acceleration until at over 150 mph I lifted my foot off the gas at that bend and the slight weight shift forward brought the ass end of my car around instantly and I went off backwards at probably 130 mph. The grass infield was wet and it was like sliding on ice. Slid about 200 yards before the front end came around enough to release the brakes and steer around the turn one tire barricade. My GT was covered in wet grass but it didn't have a scratch. I was beyond lucky. I've never driven that aggressively again.

Chip

Last edited:

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
I had a very similar experience with a Sport Renault back in the mid 80"s To get a National SCCA license you had participate in a SCCA track driving school to learn the flags and protocols. This was the first time i had my new Sport Renault on a track. Hallett in Oklahoma. Previous i have raced dirt bikes off road for years. I was having a great time running very hard, Suddenly on some fast infield s turns a flagman jumped out with a flag. I lift'ed and immediately did a double 360 in the middle of the track

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Been a while, but I recall from the Bondurant class when one of the instructors was riding along and I let off the throttle and coasted for a bit to slow down. He said something like "your foot SHALL be on either the throttle or the brake but never neither" and explained about trailing throttle oversteer.

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Thanks for sharing your story Gary and glad your ok. Thanks Chip for your story as well. Your experiences will help me reel it in when I'm driving next year. I've only had a taste of the awesome power of the FGT but I have a healthy respect for the car via your stories.

QSS

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Chip was not the only one this happened to. Tony Novak from PA had the exact same thing happen. I was right behind him and thought for sure he was going to spin around back onto the track. It was a hard time for call of us because it rained almost the entire time there.

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Chip was not the only one this happened to. Tony Novak from PA had the exact same thing happen. I was right behind him and thought for sure he was going to spin around back onto the track. It was a hard time for call of us because it rained almost the entire time there.
Mental note......... take er easy in the rain. I know that but thanks for the mental imaging.

QSS

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
It will be repaired. Glad to known you are ok!

Ed

Tomcat

GT Owner
I've had a miraculous escape in my 2006 at VIR and I haven't driven the same since.
Chip
Amen (06, VIR)...roller coaster corner.

MR ED

Sep 30, 2009
Heading up to Sinclair Ford this am about 7:15 to install new fuel gauge. Clear day with temperature 20 degrees, high :cry:humidity on to I-55 north into passing lane in 3rd gear. I've done this hundreds of times. Never when it was this cold with my GT. Frost on highway. Started to spin, couldn't keep up with it and slammed a guardrail about 60 MPH or so. Damaged every surface of GT. Probably totaled. No damage to me other than a crushed ego.
Glad you are ok if you decide to sell the car as is I would like a opportunity to buy the car or if you decide to fix it I can help you with parts I am out of KC MO

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Wow, @MR ED, you have been registered for a decade, but that was your 1st post...

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I guess he's not "The talking Mr. Ed"!!!
Wow, @MR ED, you have been registered for a decade, but that was your 1st post...

Reactions: FGT899

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I guess he's not "The talking Mr. Ed"!!!

Ed has built a lot of GT's over the years and bought and sold a lot of them too.. I bought my first wrecked Gt from Ed in jan of 09.

John Weires

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2009
I'm sick for you and the loss of your car but relieved you are ok.

Most of us high performance car guys have had an unauthorized off road excursion at one time or another. My ABS system chose to go out on my heavily modified 2001 Z06 Vette at 140mph while braking for a 55mph right-hander. After doing multiple donuts off track into a flat field, I was fortunate that only my ego was hurt. No damage to the car except 1/4 inch of dirt covering the entire interior. Going forward I found I actually had more fun at the track running a little slower and safer.

I stupidly sold my 2005 GT back in 2011 and am trying to get into a position to buy another. What a great car!

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
On track to buy a replacement. It's surviving and learning from our dump mistakes that makes us who we are.

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
Glad to hear your here to share this misfortune... nothing is MORE IMPORTANT than what is standing in your shoes....

GOD SPEED!!!

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Got a fair settlement from insurance. Have offer in on replacement.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
I was concerned about an ACV policy with fluctuations in pricing. Was it a fight for your settlement or did they maks the first offer acceptable?