Bring a Trailer wallops the big auction houses!

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Aside from the sidebar comments how is bat different then eBay? Any estimates on eBay annual sales numbers?

The difference is they only have 500 cars being auctioned at any given time, and a HUGE audience looking at every single car listed.

I have both bought and sold less expensive cars there with good results, and will probably list my minty 2005 NSX there in the spring.

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Yeah, but at Barrett Jackson you can get 8 free drinks a day and see sights like this.

I only saw this on TV, but still interesting.
girl.jpeg

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
View attachment 65310
No bumper on that one!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Wow, I wonder where she got those boots.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Boots?

What boots?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I find BAT very entertaining!
I am truly amazed at what cars are currently selling for! Let’s watch and see what the green Carbon series sells for!!

Reactions: Stef and extrap

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
View attachment 65310
Great picture of 2 beauties!

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL

Reactions: THamonGT

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Part of the issue is Dr. Frank owns the same color which negatively impacts pricing.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
The cosigner brought ~32(!) cars to Mecum, and got over $5m. The "Gary Thomas" collection. They all ran together. A LOT of really nice cars. My understanding this was just a collection reduction, and he still has plenty of Shelbys.

A 1200 mile red with black cloth 93 cobra (NOT an R) brought $110k! High numbers are not just reserved for BaT.

Reactions: extrap

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Sorry to disappoint, but that car is Race Red, whereas my car is Mark IV red to match my 2005. That color is a little more Orange. It is the color used on the '18 Heritage. Mine is a one of one for 2018.

Reactions: JWZ

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Mecum sales the last two days were unbelievably high on all cars, GTs included

Reactions: Stef and extrap

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Sorry to disappoint, but that car is Race Red, whereas my car is Mark IV red to match my 2005. That color is a little more Orange. It is the color used on the '18 Heritage. Mine is a one of one for 2018.

I like your Mk IV red better than the orangey Race Red 🍻

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Thank you, so do I. Gkw05GT is red-green colorblind which makes him suitable to be a sniper only.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Yeah, the prices for 05-06 FGTs at Mecum just kept going up. $650K for a heritage model.

I oughtta start taking better care of mine! At least wash it more often than twice a year.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Maybe the Mecum boys saw this thread and got motivated ...

On BaT a month ago (Dec 12) 1,000-mile red no-stripe '05 missed reserve at $363k https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-ford-gt-54/

And yesterday Mecum sold 755-mile red/stripe '05 for $495k with fee https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0122-487748/2005-ford-gt/

Near identical cars, except the BaT one the rarer no-stripe, otherwise both with all 3 other options, and only a 245-mile ODO difference.

I had thought BaT's super-efficient format of not having to transport the cars to auction and low fees was resulting in the best prices, yet yesterday seemed to prove otherwise.

What do we make of this? Irrational exuberance? Strong adult beverages? Or ... ?

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
What do we make of this? Irrational exuberance? Strong adult beverages? Or ... ?

pumping $ Trillions into the economy and artificially low interest rates for 10 years as the appetizer?

Last edited:
Reactions: KJD

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Exceedingly high numbers are at ALL auctions and going well past the final bid estimates on some. As an example one of the Mustangs of the Gary Thomas collection, a 6cyl convertible
"secretary car" sold for 132K!
Nice, but why?
I am puzzled why such a drastic increase in the market value?
Also how much of these sales are financed and how many are cash and carry?

BAT is the best way to go and giving the big auction houses a run for their money!
I'm a BAT addict and the daily mail is my fix. Bought one thus far and it went smoothly.

Last edited:

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I've seen recent auctions of very similar cars on BaT for very different prices. Oftentimes, it just depends on who shows up for the auction--either on BaT or at a live event.

Reactions: dshears and Stef

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I am puzzled why such a drastic increase in the market value?

Have you been following Real Estate? Or groceries?