Blue shocks

Anderson

GT Owner
May 8, 2021
San Diego & FL
Does anyone have any data on the preproduction blue shocks? Was it just the blue anodizing or is the valving different too?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Ditch those shocks and put on Scott’s shocks
. Best single upgrade you can do.

Reactions: Anderson

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
@sahlman would know the answer to that (also the supplier of the shocks referenced above)

Mark McGowan

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 31, 2006
Preproduction blue shocks were anodize. The valve code is the same on the PB builds as the production silver units. The reason we went from blue to silver was that the color did not work well with the blue of the engine valve covers

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Mark is correct. I've had several sets of the early blue shocks and ran them on different GTs and never noticed any difference whatsoever in ride or handling over the silver production units. same on the springs. eibach made them in black or red for some of the early cars. no difference there either as far as I know. Mark would know better.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Ditch those shocks and put on Scott’s shocks
. Best single upgrade you can do.

No doubt the coilovers are incredible, but aren't switching tires the single biggest upgrade you can do?

Asking for a friend. ;)

Anderson

GT Owner
May 8, 2021
San Diego & FL
Thanks for all the insight - interesting history! Yes, I was planning on shelving these eventually and going with the Ohlins. I need tires first since mine are dated ‘05.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Read the post on where to get tires! Radial tire has been our savior!

Anderson

GT Owner
May 8, 2021
San Diego & FL
Read the post on where to get tires! Radial tire has been our savior!
Thanks, he looks to be a great resource, and I assume the Bridgestones are the preferred replacement. I see a few people running the HRE / Michelin combo. Deciding between those two options although one is decidedly more expensive than the other…!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
And duh, so would Mark.

Preproduction blue shocks were anodize. The valve code is the same on the PB builds as the production silver units. The reason we went from blue to silver was that the color did not work well with the blue of the engine valve covers

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Thanks, he looks to be a great resource, and I assume the Bridgestones are the preferred replacement. I see a few people running the HRE / Michelin combo. Deciding between those two options although one is decidedly more expensive than the other…!
Switch to Bridgestones first. See how they work for you. After a year or two, if you’re still looking for “more” then switch wheels and tire size. IMO, you get no noticeable greater performance from the HRE/Michelin combo on the street. Maybe a second-plus on the track. But if you’re serious about track duty, get the Hoosiers, and get a spare set of wheels for them. So, other than a different look, a dent in the wallet, and bragging rights, I see no reason to switch wheels.

Anderson

GT Owner
May 8, 2021
San Diego & FL
Switch to Bridgestones first. See how they work for you. After a year or two, if you’re still looking for “more” then switch wheels and tire size. IMO, you get no noticeable greater performance from the HRE/Michelin combo on the street. Maybe a second-plus on the track. But if you’re serious about track duty, get the Hoosiers, and get a spare set of wheels for them. So, other than a different look, a dent in the wallet, and bragging rights, I see no reason to switch wheels.
That’s the direction I’m leaning and put the money saved into the shocks. Thanks again!

Reactions: sahlman