Best Hawaiian or Caribbean Resort

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Looking to take the Mrs someplace in February. What resort has your fondest memories?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Anywhere you don't have to wear clothes.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida

hahahahhaaaaaa

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
Caneel Bay St John USVI is the best place I've stayed. Not the "fanciest" rooms but nice with awesome beds, I love St John and the resort is first class. Their sister resort Little Dix Bay in Virgin Gorda BVI is also very nice but I havent stayed there. Virgin Gorda is cool to visit for a day, make sure to check it out if you are in the VI area. I have stayed on St. Croix as well at the Buccaneer, which is a nice resort but we didnt like St. Croix so I dont recommend it.

It really depends on what type of resort you are looking for. I like nice views, snorkeling/diving, quite (adult only for the most part), great food, and nice beds. If you are looking for all inclusive, mega resorts, these arent it. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just these arent that. Its really what you are looking for.

spyder625

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 23, 2008
necker island, one of my favorites....

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Breezes Grand Resort Negril, Jamaica, and what fjpikul said is an option. Great snorkelling in the cove. Adults only, usually great food and service. Taking Tim Air from Montego Bay to the resort (the Negril landing strip is practically across the street) is a great treat, 15 gorgeous minutes by air instead of 1 1/2hr. All inclusive, get the couples massage over the water.

Last edited:

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Place: Maui - Wailea in the south, Kapalua in the north if you want to combine with great golf.
Time: Direct flight to Maui from Twin Cities is 12-1/2 hours.
Acclimate: 5 hour time difference (readjust to EST on return home can be tough)
Month: February is the best month, even the whales remember to come back then.

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii

I hereby request to be seated at a different Rally banquet table from Dr. Frank. :facepalm:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
We had a really good time at the Four Seasons on Maui. In February you will see whales breaking from the window of your room (you have to get the right room though). The beach in front of the hotel is great, and there is a snorkling reef just a walk away.

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
I have to agree, Four Season in Maui. Great all around place to go to get away. The wife and I have been the past three years in a row. Just nice to get away...

Gerry

Oct 13, 2006
Dearborn, Michigan
You should spend some time at the Grand Hyatt on Kauai. It is a fantastic Hotel on Poipu Beach. In fact, I would spend a week at the 4 Seasons on Maui and a week at the Grand Hyatt on Kauai. I was just there for 3 weeks and did not want to come back, except I ran out of money.

Gerry

Bornn66

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 25, 2010
Annapolis, Maryland
Green Turtle Cay, Abaco Bahamas! Or Treasure Cay Abaco. If you're looking for a beautiful place, the clearest water, and fishing, diving. This is it. We are here relaxing right now ;). CocoRock is the house we are staying at. Abacorentals.com.
Enjoy!

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
La Samana / St. Maartin

http://www.lasamanna.com/web/omar/la_samanna_resort.jsp

Classic French Elegance

Cap JuLuca / Anguilla

http://www.capjuluca.com/about-cap-juluca.php

Both 6 Star & Flawless....hey babes want the best.

Brace for Models!

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX
My better 1/2 and I stayed at the Fairmont Orchid last fall on the big island. Very relaxing. Private. Good snorkeling with the sea turtles. Was only operating at about 30% capacity that week which probably helped the atmosphere, though.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Suggest for Hawian trip contact Kelvin and/or Hilo Dave. Between them they know everything!

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Will connect with Hilo Dave.

Leaning towards a split stay at the Four Seasons on Lanai then the Big Island. We have been to the others. Agree Poipu is one of our favorites!

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Just got home from a trip to Maui, had a great time but like you I wasn't initially sure where to stay. It was a trip planned around my wife's 50th, best friends wife's 50th, best friends 55th and another couple's 25 anniversary. We didn't really care what island we stayed on but had some very specific requirements ie; water front rooms next to each other, kitchens, moped rentals close by, good area for going on walks, snorkel beachs close by etc. I contacted Kelvin (AlohaGT), he was a big help steering us in the right direction and eventually settled on Maui at one of his Astin resorts north of Lahaina. His help didn't end there as he also had our rooms upgraded, left us gift baskets and the staff treated us like we were special. A fantastic trip to say the least, IMO you couldn't go wrong contacting either him or Hilo Dave :thumbsup

As for the Bahama's, the wife and I have had the extraordinary fortune to cruise them the last 2 winters as a guest on Floridaochris new yacht. We did the Exumas in '11 and the Abacos '12 and both were fantastic, however if I had to pick one it would be the Exumas due to the sheer beauty of the water and many different options of the type of resorts/hotels and condos to stay at.

Good luck and have fun!

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Just got home from a trip to Maui, had a great time but like you I wasn't initially sure where to stay. It was a trip planned around my wife's 50th, best friends wife's 50th, best friends 55th and another couple's 25 anniversary. We didn't really care what island we stayed on but had some very specific requirements ie; water front rooms next to each other, kitchens, moped rentals close by, good area for going on walks, snorkel beachs close by etc. I contacted Kelvin (AlohaGT), he was a big help steering us in the right direction and eventually settled on Maui at one of his Astin resorts north of Lahaina. His help didn't end there as he also had our rooms upgraded, left us gift baskets and the staff treated us like we were special. A fantastic trip to say the least, IMO you couldn't go wrong contacting either him or Hilo Dave :thumbsup

As for the Bahama's, the wife and I have had the extraordinary fortune to cruise them the last 2 winters as a guest on Floridaochris new yacht. We did the Exumas in '11 and the Abacos '12 and both were fantastic, however if I had to pick one it would be the Exumas due to the sheer beauty of the water and many different options of the type of resorts/hotels and condos to stay at.

Good luck and have fun!

Is that ALL you do now...vacation???

Quit posting this stuff! My unrestrained jealousy is giving me a huge headache now. And here I thought I was going to enjoy a relaxing weekend and not think about work

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
This is what happens when your no longer employable.

on d bit

Jul 20, 2008
maricopa az
Place: Maui - Wailea in the south, Kapalua in the north if you want to combine with great golf.
Time: Direct flight to Maui from Twin Cities is 12-1/2 hours.
Acclimate: 5 hour time difference (readjust to EST on return home can be tough)
Month: February is the best month, even the whales remember to come back then.

Kea Lani(http://www.fairmont.com/kealani) and Grand Wailea(http://www.grandwailea.com/) are both great resorts there. The Grand is a little bigger, the Kea Lani and great rooms!
I am also a big fan on the Hyatt on Kaanapali(http://maui.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels-maui/index.jsp?null) Maui!