Best Battery choice(s)?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
No Andy, they are only red tops but they do come with the Ford GT sticker. I was told they come out of Evansville, IN.

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Need to replace a battery. What is the go to and/or
good/better/best replacement choices these days. Thanks!!

DWR46

GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 20, 2008
This will drive people crazy, but the most reliable choice is a standard Group 78DT (dual terminal). Available at any major auto supply or discount store. I just replaced my last one after nine years and it was still in good shape. i just felt guilty. Fits right in with no modifications.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Thanks Frank!

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Make sure the replacement is an Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) type and that your charger supports AGM.

Howard

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
The factory battery is an Optima Red Top battery that is FGT re-badged. Johnson Controls bought Optima and moved the plant to Mexico. Yup, junk at best now, ask me how I know. Sears Die Had that was a perfect replacement (Model P-3 Platinum P-3 - Group Size 75/86DT) discontinued now if I'm not mistaken.
Gentlemen,

Let me second the post above. The original Ford GT Optima battery was excellent. The Optima batteries now built in Mexico are worthless. I had used Optima batteries in all of my cars, trucks, and boat and loved them. THEN.....new owners moved production to Mexico and every single Optima I bought failed in less than two years. It didn't take long for the warranty replacements to fail as well. My local Batteries Plus store told me the only reason they still carried Optima was to provide warranty replacement batteries but they discouraged customers from buying new ones because of high failure rates. I'll never buy another Optima.

Chip

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Heard the same story here in Germany as well. So sad when the bean counters are allowed to drive a company on their own. :willy

Maybe it is time to buy into those lighter race type batteries. Does anyone have experiences to share ? Weight savings are substancial, still not sure if it is good to loose weight in front of the front axle.

Last edited:

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I paid $849.99 for the battery and $50.00 for the charger.
Seems like fair price. How much carbon fiber would it take to drop an equivalent amount of weight from the car?

PeteK

GT Owner
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, WA
THere's a new battery on the market based on Nickel-Zinc chemistry. The company making them is ZincFive. Does anyone know about these things?

dpdive

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I am using the INTENSITY - i25X - Left Side Positive and you will also need the CH 1236L Braille Lithium 12 Volt 6 Amp Charger. When you first pick it up it will seem like an empty battery case.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
This will drive people crazy, but the most reliable choice is a standard Group 78DT (dual terminal). Available at any major auto supply or discount store. I just replaced my last one after nine years and it was still in good shape. i just felt guilty. Fits right in with no modifications.
Make sure the replacement is an Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) type and that your charger supports AGM.

Howard
Duracell AGM Automotive Battery - Group Size 34/78 at Sams Club $130

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Optima
Specifically engineered for:
Ford GT... and Willys
The only Willys M38 powered by a 12 year old Ford GT battery!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly what I have planned for the old one....73 CJ-5 :biggrin

PeteK

GT Owner
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, WA
I checked the Summit Racing site--$999. Ouch. I think I'll keep replacing regular batteries for that price. Now, if they got it down to say, $400, I'd take one.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Well I made my choice, car is finally starting to be a bit "loagy" on start up, and as it will be off the tender for the trip to Utah and back, I figured it was time to replace the original battery.

I got the Ford supplied Optima. I looked at Auto Zone, and their Optima was something like $259, The Ford supplied was $209 (I paid a decent amount less). And the cool part, as Frank mentioned above, it does indeed still come with the GT sticker.

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Well I made my choice, car is finally starting to be a bit "loagy" on start up, and as it will be off the tender for the trip to Utah and back, I figured it was time to replace the original battery.

I got the Ford supplied Optima. I looked at Auto Zone, and their Optima was something like $259, The Ford supplied was $209 (I paid a decent amount less). And the cool part, as Frank mentioned above, it does indeed still come with the GT sticker.
That's what I did. I know a lot of people complain about the new OEM battery but mine is two years old and no problems. If it tanks, I'll just buy another one.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Duracell AGM Automotive Battery - Group Size 34/78 at Sams Club $130
I've been thinking about this one too. My only reluctance is Duracell dry cell batteries are crap. When they run down they leak and ruin what ever they are in. I know these are different but still Duracell.

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
We continue to use Optima - though we fit the slightly larger yellow top YTS 4.2 - sensibly priced and well behaved if looked after.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I bought the Sam's club battery. Nobody sees it anyway. Works and fits fine.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
This is what I got five years ago. $158 and Prime shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Optima-Batte...02-2125-1-1-2683--2-0&sr=1-1&ymm=2006:ford:gt

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Yup, this is exactly what I did. One thing to be careful of is that the battery is not too high and hits the metal brace above the battery. There is only about a 1 inch clearance above the terminals. What I did to avoid this is I bought a battery with the terminals reversed (Deko AGM) so they are no longer under the metal brace. Reversing the terminals also makes it much easier to install the battery without accidently grounding it on the brace. The cables are not affected for this change. The battery has been in use for 4 years now with no problems and it's not excessively expensive.