Battery/gauge question

SBR

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2009
Well I am going to inspect the car that I have a deal on. It is stock with 1k miles on it. After reading some posts about batteries and gauge failures, I have a couple of questions. If the car still has the OEM battery which I believe it does, should I replace it with the Sears platinum battery that was discussed in another thread just to be safe? If so should I still use the OEM charger or use a battery tender with the green and red light? I will definetly check the gauges among other things before I hand over the check.
Thanks in advance,
Steve

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Presently, there is no evidence to suggest the root cause of the gauge failures. So at this point it really doesn't matter.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Keep the OEM battery; some here are in 6th yr on their Optima

Use OEM charger; google has 15+ pages on Battery Tender failing (esp if left alone; not plug/unplug); IMHO not good.

DBK posted a poll on battery/gauges; last check <25 fail votes.

I posted a poll 2 yrs ago; 60 votes; 75% were non-OEM issues (eg, user let battery die, no charger used)

Last edited:

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Steve, are you going to get a full PPI done on this car? STRONGLY suggested.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Get a PPI from an expert - most important thing. I wasn't aware of the Battery Tender issues mentioned above. FWIW, I have 4 or 5 that I use without problem. Probably fine either way.

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I've got five Battery Tenders for various vehicles/motorcycles and have been using them for ten years and never had any significant problem. I did have one fail on a BMW one time, but it was on a monster size battery that was going bad anyway, and I think it overtaxed the Tender. I sent it back and they promptly replaced it with a new one. No other issues. When a couple of my guages went bad on the GT, I happened to be using the OEM charger, but doubt that it caused the problem.

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
1000 miles? Look for the white smoke "contrails" out of the exhaust.

Hopefully that engine was started and run regularly.

RE: Battery Tender
The Ford OEM does not have a microprocessor, so it will "always" be charging.

RE: Failing

Well, electronics, computers, don't last forever.

However, I have had my Deltran Battery Tenders, i have multiple, for 5+ years. = NO problems.

I like the idea that the charger goes in to "float" mode once the battery is fully charged.

Either way, good luck.

SBR

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2009
Steve, are you going to get a full PPI done on this car? STRONGLY suggested.
I am going tomorrow with a friend who has some knowledge with these cars. It looks absolutely brand new and if all checks out, I will be an owner tomorrow.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I've got five Battery Tenders for various vehicles/motorcycles and have been using them for ten years and never had any significant problem.

What he said. However, I did have one go bad when I mistakenly ran it over with my F250. Cheap crap.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Unless your friend is VERY knowledgeable I would pay the money and get a proper PPI. Mistakes can be very expensive. I've learned this too many times.

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Unless your friend is VERY knowledgeable I would pay the money and get a proper PPI. Mistakes can be very expensive. I've learned this too many times.

Great advice. Nobody likes to learn this lesson.

Colton74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
Recently purchased a vehicle from a forum member, I would certainly recommend a PPI. Not sure your knowledge of the GT (mine is quite low,however improving!!) but I had a chance to quiz the inspector to no end. More than likely drove him crazy, but I got a lot of knowledge in a short time. Well worth the money.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Watch out -

A few of the GT's were totaled on the way home from the dealerships and others early in their milages, and may not have received a salvage title (if not reported to the insurance companies).

Get a PPI from one of our experts: Rich (GT Tech), Biill (Shadowman), Rich & Denis (GTGuy), Shelby (Shelbyelite), Kendall (nota4re) & others

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

:agree::agree::agree:

You really need to have an EXPERT check the car out...someone who knows exactly what to look for and how to find it. :cheers

SBR

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2009
Thanks for the advice to all. I spoke with Rich (GT guy) and gave me some great tips on what to look for. I have a signed letter from the seller stating that the car has never been hit/painted/abused and has been properly serviced, he's owned the car since new. I am hoping that all goes well tomorrow.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
SBR - Good luck tomorrow. Car inspections are important but the demeanor and integrity of the owner are other ways to get warm fuzzies. Be careful, as the GTs, like a beautiful woman, can tempt you to think with the little head! We're in Southern California. If we can ever help you, just give us a shout. We've done quite a few PPI's and one or two different GT mods....

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
I had something strange happen to me.
The other day I started the car and all the gauges were dead.
I took the key out and reinserted it and again, started the car and they all worked.
Still working fine.....
??? What gives???

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
I took the key out and reinserted it and again, started the car and they all worked.
Still working fine.....
??? What gives???

Gremlins

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
i had the same thing happen last winter. i talked to a ford tech, who is a friend of mine, he said that it might be a low battery. since then i have used the ford supplied charger and it has not happened since.
Still working fine.....
??? What gives???

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
i had the same thing happen last winter. i talked to a ford tech, who is a friend of mine, he said that it might be a low battery. since then i have used the ford supplied charger and it has not happened since.

Yes, great point, I recall this happened to my GT right before I had the dealer replace the factory original battery the last day before my warranty expired.