Battery cut-off switch?

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I am considering using a battery cutt-off switch.

I have used the one made by Griots and Hella Racing one. Both have a "key" or knob that you twist and all power is cutt off.

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/switches_kill.asp

This has worked on my "68 SL Mercedes and '85 BMW like a charm. In one case the car was not started for 18 months (busy yr.!), and started on first crank ( i use Sears Die-Hards religiously $75).

Is there any issue with using these. Is there an electronic board/memory or engine/fuel/traction-stability managment system that will go haywire if you keep cutting power?

On my BMW the only issue was the Radio digital memory and clock/computer. It has Electronic Bosch fuel-injection, never an issue.

Thanks; 1O days till Delivery!

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Every time you disconnect power, the ECU has to re-learn engine idle. I don't know it that is a bad thing but if you are parking for extended times, maybe a little slower startup routine is ok.

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
point

you do know the car comes with a trickle charger?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Kicking an old topic again...

With all the evidence adding up that the gauges are related to batteries, does it make sense to cut the battery when parking the car for long periods? It'll probably forget radio settings and learned engine stuff. I used one on my Cobra and used it because of the DFI controller parasitics.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Jeez my old post from 2006 !!! Before i was a Ford GT Baller

I keep the OEM charger on 24/7 now for 2yrs

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Man I had forgotten how funny "todd"'s avatar was....... Had not seen that in a long time.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Man I had forgotten how funny "todd"'s avatar was....... Had not seen that in a long time.

Clever! :biggrin

Schiff92

GT Owner
Oct 8, 2011
Southern Illinois
I thought about doing the same thing with mine, but thought twice and said no. I figured it would cause me more problems when I go to my short winter startups and then again next spring. Now I know it is a bit off subject and I have read some threads on it, but what battery is everyone finding they like and keeps a good charge, not many problems with the gauges etc,etc. I read a post from a few years back regarding oddsey batteries, any luck with them at all? Thanks again everyone

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
no correlation between batteries and gauges have been found or verified...

Battery of choice is Sears platinum (made by Odyssey) Sears Platinum Part # 22850080 Platinum 75/86dt CSA 290742

go to this link for battery info...
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...-Replacrments-Definitive-List&highlight=sears

BTW - the search engine really works.........

TASE79

Apr 10, 2009
i own mine from 2009 with 500 miles always use the cut off switch with no problems, the engine start perfect and the car runs normal maybe if the ecu need to relearn the commands but it not sensible when you drive the car normally and reprogram the radio stations its to easy, and the battery its in perfect condition always over 12.1 volts, i dont have the choice to connect trickle charger thats its excellent choise because my car its parking in a place dont have to electricity around to connect the charger. Great car, Great Forum

canadiancobra

GT Owner
Apr 5, 2011
Edmonton,Alberta
I was told by a mechanic recently that I shouldn't use a trickle charger without disconnecting the battery first??

Side Note: It wasn't till I started using my trickle charger that my Speedo quite 2 weeks later.

EA40

GT Owner
Feb 4, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
i own mine from 2009 with 500 miles always use the cut off switch with no problems, the engine start perfect and the car runs normal maybe if the ecu need to relearn the commands but it not sensible when you drive the car normally and reprogram the radio stations its to easy, and the battery its in perfect condition always over 12.1 volts, i dont have the choice to connect trickle charger thats its excellent choise because my car its parking in a place dont have to electricity around to connect the charger. Great car, Great Forum

I am just about to put my GT into winter storage ... and I don't have the option of using a trickle charger.

I have used a battery disconnect successfully on my '66 Mustang and '72 Pantera; but I am wondering if there is any harm in doing so for the GT.

I don't mind having to reprogram the stereo. I just don't want any issues with the ECM or any other "modern electrical components"!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Regarding terminology, a trickle charger is a "dumb" low current charger that is always charging. For storage, you want a float charger - which will float on and off as the on-board electronics determine a need to charge the battery.

EA40 - there would be NO adverse effect on anything in the GT if you want to keep the battery disconnected.

EA40

GT Owner
Feb 4, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thanks, dude. Appreciate it. I'm not as familiar with these "new" supercars! :facepalm:

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I use a CTEK float charger - pricey but is the best money can buy. Been using them on my cars and bikes for years with no issue. I have batteries that are 12 yrs old and still retain a charge, and crank well each time.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Geez my 6 yr old post!

Glad im finally headed to Cali

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
I installed a cut-off switch awhile ago, primarily as a safety device in case of electrical fire, and also as a convenience when working on the car. I use the factory charger and found no need to use the switch as a battery saver. The switch I used was the Harbor Freight with removable key. To this date I have had no problems or reasons for regret.