Barrett Jackson Scottsdale

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Same old story! Whats this and that worth.... Although I find it mildly entertaining.Do we really care? When I go to the big race track in the sky .My family will have something of cash value! But until than I'm driving them as much as possible!

Agreed, but there is a whole new car culture that is most interested in value, and how to make car ownership profitable.

Reactions: roketman

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
I actually think that this type of debate, like other things, is never black and white. People aren't necessarily good or bad and those that inquire or follow collector car values are not necessarily ill-intentioned or in it for a quick profit--to me this is clearly a case of "some have given others a bad name" and I feel it's unfortunate when we can't ask or post about values and avoid being ridiculed for it.

Here's my rationale. Aside from 1) those that can buy any car they want and not care about values and 2) those that want quick money, there is a third group of people, myself included, that is seldom mentioned but deserves consideration. I think they fall into the category of "prudent buyer." You see, I'm interested in values, not for short-term resale, but long-term asset valuation. I'm not in a position to purchase any car I want and not care about depreciation--as a financially responsible adult, I have to. Yet I still suffer from the same affliction as everyone here does...I absolutely love these cars. So when I go to scrape together the funds to buy one of these cars that would be considered "unobtanium" for the general population, I want to be relatively sure that one day, if I needed the funds in an emergency or perhaps when I am old enough to not be able to drive anymore, that I will be able to recoup some of my initial investment by selling. It's the only prudent thing to do when you're putting $600k into an asset you can't live in. Seems logical to me.

Now some may argue that if I can't blow $600k on a car and not bat an eyelash or worry about resale value that I have no sense buying a car like this. Perhaps they're right. Maybe I shouldn't buy a NGT. But cars are my passion and fortunately, if I work really hard, I'll have the opportunity to realize my dreams of owning one. Well, I'm getting closer by the day and hopefully my dreams will come true. Given my circumstances, I just need to be as sure as I can that this "investment" has some long-term stability. And although there is no such thing as a sure thing when it comes to money, cars or investments, it seems the NGT is turning out to be relatively safe (at least at this point).

So again, I'm not faulting anyone for getting annoyed by those that post or ask about GT values...I, too, have witnessed previous forum members poison the well for all of us and it's certainly not fair and it pisses me off--but we're not all cut from the same cloth. So if it annoys anyone to see a post about GT values to the point where they feel compelled to reply and state that values aren't important to them, then stop and consider all the possible motivations for asking or simply don't read the post at all.

I apologize in advance if I have offended anyone--regardless of your position, you are all my car family brothers and sisters. Thank you for sharing your passion with me. And please do not take any of my comments personally.

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Well said GTMD.

Ed

Reactions: digman1

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I think that even those who say otherwise care about the value of their cars. I think you’re right that there are a few that look at exotic cars as some kind of investment, or a way to turn a profit. If they can turn a buck, hey, that’s fine with me.

But I also think that most of the guys on this forum didn’t buy their cars as investments. Yeah, I keep tabs on what my high mileage car is worth, but that’s not going to stop me from driving it. Since I didn’t get an allocation for a NFGT, I’ll just try to catch up to Jeff’s 140Kmi!

So keep on bantering about values.

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I bought mine for an investment.

An investment in my freakin happiness!!!!! :ROFLMAO:

QSS

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
GTMD great counterpoint statement. And I agree, but the obsession with values and auctions is a relatively new cultural phenomenon in the car world. And it gets a lot of attention, both from inside and outside car guy circles.

Reactions: Ed Sims and GTMD

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I bought mine because I'd been thinking about getting a weekend fun car, and was originally thinking $75-100K so I considered a 60's big block Vette, late model Vipers, C8s (unavailable), then late model NSXs (meh, boring), then started loosening the budget to the $ range of perfect 60s BB Vettes and gently used Italians 5-7 years old, then even almost-new ones, but then started thinking if I could find something that has a chance of not depreciating huge, well that'd be a reasonable goal because then I could justify spending however much I want. And while looking at one of BJ Motors' Vipers (which seem to be holding or even increasing) it sold, but they also had a silver GT, and that got me on the GT track. The rest, as they say, is history, and while I could've spent a lot more, now I feel like I got the absolute best choice out there! 🍻 ... and that every time I look at it, drive it or even just think about it, anybody who buys something else is missing out!

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Maybe BJ's drinks are strong.

I was there and unfortunately no, the drinks weren't very strong. But they did supply every bidder with 10 drinks a day!!

Chip

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
The great thing about these cars is yes , they will always have value. No matter what the mileage is. Now go for a ride and be happy!

Reactions: 2112
Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I was there and unfortunately no, the drinks weren't very strong. But they did supply every bidder with 10 drinks a day!!

Chip
When I hit Barrett Jackson in Vegas I roll right through those 10 drinks in a few hours but I'm never inclined to bid on a car that I know nothing about. I am inclined, however, to have a few more drinks and enjoy the cars and the gong show going on all around me. I love it.

QSS

Niobond500

GT Owner
Nov 28, 2020
Great points here. I fall into GTMD's category and would venture to say most do. We are all lucky to be in the positions to be able to consider purchasing cars like these. I venture to say most of us have worked hard for our money so we don't want to "throw it all away" with an irrational purchase. That being said at least for me when I'm about to make a purchase I try to determine if the amount of depreciation I will endure will come close to the "value" of the enjoyment I will get in the car. If those two amounts are close to the same value, I'm comfortable with making the purchase.

Reactions: extrap

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
It's always a risk. In the early days who really knew the GT would appreciate? If you love the car the value is secondary.....within reason.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
It's always a risk. In the early days who really knew the GT would appreciate? If you love the car the value is secondary.....within reason.

Carroll Shelby did! Shelby told the guy I bought mine from that he should buy one because they'll be going up in value. Of course, who ever really knows.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Great points here. I fall into GTMD's category and would venture to say most do. We are all lucky to be in the positions to be able to consider purchasing cars like these. I venture to say most of us have worked hard for our money so we don't want to "throw it all away" with an irrational purchase. That being said at least for me when I'm about to make a purchase I try to determine if the amount of depreciation I will endure will come close to the "value" of the enjoyment I will get in the car. If those two amounts are close to the same value, I'm comfortable with making the purchase.

Great summary and agree!

For the record, I have no intention of keeping any GT (new or old) a wrapper car--does not interest me in the slightest. I intend on driving them! Presuming that these cars are likely to, at least, retain their initial investment value is very reassuring and makes the small risk of purchase well worth the massive enjoyment I'll receive from driving them.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I saw a f/b post on B/J sale of a 6k 2005 GT for some big bucks. Doing the math --this GT appreciated $43.50 per mile driven. Using a GT, like some of us do, can add value faster than the always garaged, slightly driven GT's. I did the math on mine ---current market is now slightly over $6,000,000. Waiting for Rally 2021.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I saw a f/b post on B/J sale of a 6k 2005 GT for some big bucks. Doing the math --this GT appreciated $43.50 per mile driven. Using a GT, like some of us do, can add value faster than the always garaged, slightly driven GT's. I did the math on mine ---current market is now slightly over $6,000,000. Waiting for Rally 2021.

139,000 miles?

Reactions: GT@50

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
139,000 miles?
Yes, probably more. He bought it new. How FUN is that!

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
139,000 miles?
Yes Sir. Covid year 2020-2021 only a few hundred. Did 200 or so, one weekend last October, when I was using the GT as pace/safety car. Track miles should count extra. Driven hard, parked at the end of the race day.

Last edited by a moderator:

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Yes Sir. Covid year 2020-2021 only a few hundred. Did 200 or so, one weekend last October, when I was using the GT as pace/safety car. Track miles should count extra. Driven hard, parked at the end of the race day.

Ha .. that's just crazy! Around here there are so few special cars that people stare at the GT ... pics, thumbs up, etc. Your neighbors must all be totally used to it! 😁

Last edited:

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Ha .. that's just crazy! Around here there are so few special cars that people stare at the GT ... pics, thumbs up, etc. Your neighbors must all be totally used to it! 😁
My son gets calls from his friends "is your day ok? Haven't seen the GT lately.

As you know "lots of stares, lots of thumbs up's and tons of photographs".