Backup Camera ...

Voda

Aug 26, 2014
Las Vegas
Searched older threads, and unable to find any current info on backup cameras. Lots of different options on the market.

Looking for recommendations.

I'd like to keep it as simple as possible (non-invasive options) .... Heck, I'd like to see a small battery powered camera that clips to the license plate and transmits to my phone .... I have a GoPro app on my phone and using bluetooth I'm able to control and see video in real time on my phone ... there has to be something out there like this and if there is not, there should be....

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Older post but it's a start... I think Vince H may have one as well... If I am remembering correctly.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...a-integrated-in-auto-dimming-rear-view-mirror

lewishou

GT Owner
Feb 27, 2007
Atherton, CA
I've done extensive search on this and the only option in which the camera is battery powered is an old system called Quickvu. It did not sell well because of the low resolution and poor reliability. All other "wireless" systems require that you at least tap into the reverse light for power source for the camera.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You can easily tap into the license plate light, but the. You need to turn on lights to power it up.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I just got a new GPS, and noticed that this is an accessory. Im not going to use it on the GT, but provided reference. Reason for new GPS? France, and also its a "trucker" version, so when towing, it does not steer you to restricted roads, like Parkways in NY (has a car mode also).

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/533/bc-30-wireless-backup-camera/prod501486.html

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
That looks like a good option

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
I had the GT Guys install mine. It requires the rearview mirror to be replaced though. Rich could better inform you on it. All I know is that its was not that expensive and it works beautifully.

Vince H

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
I do not like wireless stuff, it fails most of the time when you really need it. I have a wired Clarion CC510 in the back which is a very good camera because it works also very great when it is dark in the night (it just needs 0.1 lux of light which is pretty nothing). In the front I have a wired Alpine unit. For the display I have something similar like vince, it is a mirror with 2 screens. Unfortunately I do not know model/brand anymore. For parking it is quite ok, but has issues when there is lot of sun, then it is hard to read. But still much better than nothing especially when you do not have a rear bumper.

What I would really love would be the possibility to get that video signal into an Iphone/Ipad. I am using an iPad mini as GPS which is quite good. However I have nowhere found such a hardware to get an analog video signal into an iDevice.

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
You can't push baseband video into I devices. Can't even feed them Ethernet. The video has to be encoded, and then wireless to the I device, either with a network, or direct, like what go pro does (the SSID is the camera)

However I have nowhere found such a hardware to get an analog video signal into an iDevice.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Garmin Nuvicam 6" GPS with a BC30 wireless backup cam. I have it and use it all the time. Doesn't fail ever and works flawlessly. Connect cam to reverse lights and you're good to go! I installed the GPS power cable permanently under the dash and ran it up the left side of the dash to exit at the top. Makes for a perfect factory style install. You get guidelines in the display too when backing up, you have a front dash cam recording everything, and a GPS nav to boot!

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
There was an adapter announced from a company I don't remember a few years ago but it never materialized anywhere.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I bought an Android mirror (runs the Android smartphone operating system and you can load any Android aps, like navigation). It also has a built in camera, if you want to run a dash cam while driving. Then I bought a cheap wireless backup camera and wired it into the license plate light. As mentioned above, you need to have the lights on for the camera to work. The mirror clips over the existing factory mirror, and the whole setup is minimally invasive. If you don't want to use the wireless, you can run hardwire between the mirror and camera (its a composite video connection). Sometimes (maybe 10% of the time) the wireless doesn't work, but I have the receiver in the "glovebox" cubby in the passenger footwell.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Speak to the GT guys.I have one and it works great ! Ask Vince

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Seen a few of these wireless products come out recently.

https://pearlauto.com/

TomL

GT Owner
Aug 5, 2016
Glen Ellen Ca
Wireless camera

I purchased a Pearl. The cameras are in a lic plt frame. Use your Iphone or Ipad to download app. & it,s wireless. Power module plugs into the OBD port. Phone or Ipod mounds to a clip on holder in the vent. Takes a few minutes to install. You do have to charge the lic plt frame with your phone charger. Lots of coverage, with dual angles.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
I purchased a Pearl. The cameras are in a lic plt frame. Use your Iphone or Ipad to download app. & it,s wireless. Power module plugs into the OBD port. Phone or Ipod mounds to a clip on holder in the vent. Takes a few minutes to install. You do have to charge the lic plt frame with your phone charger. Lots of coverage, with dual angles.

Mounts well on to the thick air vent louver?

I thought it plate charges by solar?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Give more specifics please on product and where to order
I'd love me to try it on my GT2
Thanks

TomL

GT Owner
Aug 5, 2016
Glen Ellen Ca
The website address is on 3 posts previous. Not cheap, but works great!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The Pearl markup on $50 worth of parts is amazing. Beyond that, the license plate frame camera is a total non-starter for me.

There is plenty of room between the license plate lights to unobtrusively mount a camera. Like my VW:

20161212_164006.jpg