Autobild erster Fahrbericht (short review) Ford GT

Hans Efde

Jan 16, 2016
Short review in German by Autobild. Nothing that wasn't known already, just the remark that tall people (over 1.85m) will have a hard time fitting in it, esspecially with a helmet on. Also that compared to the McLaren pedal and steering feel is less pronounced "Im Vergleich zu anderen Supersportwagen wie dem McLaren 675 LT ist das Pedalgefühl völlig unaufgeregt."

And a picture of the blanket off centre screen.
http://www.autobild.de/artikel/ford-gt-2017-11205707.html

Ford-GT-2017-Fahrbericht-1200x800-6f2373bb2a55f02b.jpg

Nice close up of the cockpit vin plate:
Ford-GT-2017-Fahrbericht-1200x800-a9760487a234d1e9.jpg

Last edited:

knightka

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 6, 2015
Los Altos, CA
Google translation of the article:

First ride in the new Ford GT
656 hp, medium engine, active aerodynamics: The Ford GT is back. AUTO BILD is the third generation of the super sports car.

The Ford GT is the third generation of the legendary GT40, which beat Ferrari in the Le Mans 24-hour race in 1966. In the next 40 years, no other Ford came close to the GT40, until 2005, a homage by the designer Camilo Pardo was presented, which compared to the original but a bit too good. She was not a racing car. Contrary to the now presented GT of the third generation.

A super sports car with V6 engine
The body consists almost entirely of carbon fiber composite. And behind the front seats, no V8 is installed, but a downsizing V6, coupled to a 7-speed dual clutch transmission. From its profane 3.5-liter V6, Ford has formed a high-performance, high-performance, twin-engine, twin-turbo car with 656 hp and 746 Nm of torque. A savings miracle has not become it, even with restrained driving is about 17 liters of fuel per 100 km into the combustion chambers injected. The scale is open to the top.

The Ford GT offers extreme driving performance
The acceleration is almost rocket-like, to well over 200 km / h. The Vmax is indicated at 348 km / h. But the melodic sound of a classic racing engine is not offered here. The speed increase is accompanied by a permanent whistling, hissing and noise. Beautiful does not sound, and particularly quiet is the GT is not synonymous. This is about pure performance, the sound is secondary. After a manual gearbox, however, no one asks, and that also belongs to the rational approach of the new GT. An automatic dual-clutch system provides better performance;

Only 1385 kilograms heavy
The high-performance braking system is a merciless addition. Compared to other super sports cars such as the McLaren 675 LT, the pedal feel is completely un-excited. At higher speeds an aerodynamic air brake is supported. Also the hydraulic servo control is not quite as pointed as with some competition models, but it still reacts so sensibly that one should know exactly what one is doing. The driving experience can be adapted gradually by various driving modes; They are called Wet, Normal, Sport, Track and Vmax. In the three raised modes, the turbochargers are constantly at speed. Ford calls the system "anti-lag". In the "Track" mode, the ground clearance is reduced to almost seven centimeters, and the aerodynamic brake is slightly raised. The transmission is extremely fast. It whips the gears into it like a sequential Formula One transmission. And if you are aggressively accelerating out of a corner, the 1385 kilograms light weight GT picks up on its Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tire before the stability control regains it. If it is switched on.

With helmet it becomes really tight in the cockpit
The biggest drawback of the Ford GT: The cockpit is tiny, people over 1.85 meters body size do not fit exactly into the American super sports car. For comparison: While you can relax in a current Ferrari or Lamborghini cozy, the Ford GT is almost claustrophobic. It's a miracle that there is room to wear a helmet. After all, the glazing of the car in this cockpit looks like a visor. The driver feels felt only millimeters from the passenger. And the trunk? Not worth talking about.

The first load Ford GT is already sold out
After all, the switches are exactly where they belong, not a few of them directly on the micro-fiber-related steering wheel. Typical Ami: A cupholder can not be missing even in the smallest cockpit. The digital instruments radiate in different design themes depending on the driving mode. The processing is remarkably solid; The final assembly takes place at the Canadian supplier Multimatic, which has earned its spurs among other things with the Aston Martin AM-RB 001. Perfect is not the Ford GT, and yet the team is extremely proud of their super sports car. If you want to have a GT now, you have to go to the rear: Ford has pre-selected the buyers of the first tranche in a multi-stage process. Only a few of the hopeful candidates were able to transfer around 400,000 US dollars to Dearborn to be among the first customers. We would like to be there.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
For some reason when I read that translation I hear it in his voice. :biggrin

366.jpg

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
With all due respect: Christopher Waltz is Austrian (born 1956 in Vienna)

But I understand where you are coming from, legendary in that role ...

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
With all due respect: Christopher Waltz is Austrian (born 1956 in Vienna)

But I understand where you are coming from, legendary in that role ...

How accurate is the Google translation?

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Comparing both on an iPad not possible this evening (European time), maybe someone else can chime in or wait til tomorrow

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Remarkable translation for a machine. Obviously, not the way a German would speak or a fluent translator would translate, but you get the intent. "Typisch Ami" is legit idiom. :lol

My limited language skills would read the pedal feel is completely "un-excited" as "solid/smooth/unruffled."

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
How accurate is the Google translation?

Are you doubting the "profane 3.5 liter V6" and the "merciless addition" of the high-performance braking system?

The Google translation reads like a North Korean propaganda piece.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I'm still digging the "twin engine" info! Who knew?

Howard

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca

Howard

LOL

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Yeah, profane isn't quite right. lol. That would be something like, from its otherwise ordinary/common V6, Ford has created a high-performance, twin-turbo, etc.

"Profane" is pretty cool though!

Last edited:

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

Howard

Those guys were explicitly told to keep the hybrid version under wraps!! ;-))

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Great fun reading the translated article! My German language is limited to "Bier bitte"

Ed

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Brombear.... I look forward to your translation in the ''purest of true German form'' tomorrow.

andy (ajb)

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Remarkable translation for a machine. Obviously, not the way a German would speak or a fluent translator would translate, but you get the intent. "Typisch Ami" is legit idiom. :lol

My limited language skills would read the pedal feel is completely "un-excited" as "solid/smooth/unruffled."

I'm not so sure... Have you read a Porsche owner's manual? [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
"Profane" is pretty cool though!

Think I just found my license plate in 2019.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Note competition package eliminates cup holders.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
You know how to keep things boiling :wink

Weekend is more realistic, but don't expect my English/American to be 100% error prone.