Aston Martin’s Vulcan Has An Ingenious Way Around Pesky Oil Changes

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Since most of us do our own oil changes.Thought this was interesting.

Just pull out the container and pop in a new one and your done.

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2016/2/...genious-Way-Around-Pesky-Oil-Changes-7731817/

Hopefully this will trickle down to everyday cars. The Aston Martin Vulcan may be an incredible supercar that is engineered to decimate everything in its path, so it makes sense that everything associated with the vehicle is pricey. With its starting price tag of $2.3 million, we didn’t expect services for the Vulcan to be easy or cheap. But it looks like Aston has found a way to make messy oil changes a thing of the past. The coolest and one of the most high-tech things on the Vulcan is its lubrication system, which can be changed in ten seconds.

That’s right, enthusiasts don’t need to worry about getting under wobbly jack stands anymore or getting their hands dirty because this technology will be passed down to pedestrian cars in a few years. The Vulcan has a Castrol Nexcel system that can be changed in a claimed ten seconds with zero clean-up. Castrol’s Nexcel is a box that houses both oil and filter elements and acts as the reservoir for the Vulcan’s dry-sump lubrication system. Sounds fancy, right? According to Castrol, the box can withstand up to 1.8-Gs and can handle flow rates of over 150 gallons a minute. The other upside to all of this is that changing the supercar’s oil is mess-free and requires only a few seconds of time.
Vulcan owners only need to lift the supercar’s hood to lift the Nexcel unit out of the car and place a new one in. This would drastically cut maintenance times for vehicles and allow Vulcan owners to store the supercar in one place for lengthy periods between track days. Don’t think that the box will only be used on supercars, however, as Castrol plans to put the technology into a production car within five years.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I had to stop at North Olmstead on the way home from Rolex 24 to check it out. Mainly wanted to see it because Multimatic did a lot of the work on this car, so should be some crossover with Ford GT. Super carbon fiber intensive.

Incredible piece of machinery. Sales guy brought out the $20k steering wheel and let me play with it. Carbon work is insanely beautiful. Still gotta have a lot of spare change to spend $3.4 mil on a car that isn't road legal.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454783501.089576.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454783520.296790.jpg

f3713737587f7c07a18360ddee00b677.jpg

90fc576bf7b009514d7f9e058ccded31.jpg

0acf17d3e8c8628800f7c86530a50db2.jpg

2ce2ba757b5d09c5e0b50b48f02fbee9.jpg

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
e1160981ed73801ae952aeeea8fba250.jpg

5c5be1acd3740c66bfb9dc8169b088d0.jpg

8051179b148519c140fdace334173e9c.jpg

45bc5a28e4f3cf120fee093081fa9e48.jpg

76a56d92d8d5374e8659ee6a23070edd.jpg

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
Two hands on the wheel!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Since most of us do our own oil changes.Thought this was interesting.

Just pull out the container and pop in a new one and your done.

...but might that mean oil changes would then cost 100 times (sarc) more than they do presently?

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
...but might that mean oil changes would then cost 100 times (sarc) more than they do presently?

yes , It does. That's why they will do it. It will also limit what oil you can choose, as it will come preloaded with oil.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Incredible exercise in the use of CF and finishes.

That said, I have no idea who the heck they are targeting this car to. Not road legal, and an (unmarked up price) of $2.3M? I believe that they have had this car on the floor since November, and I expect it will set some kind of record for fewest inventory turns. I don't even want to know the cost of floor planning one of these.

The oil cartridge concept is offered to OE's through Castrol (Nexcel?). If I recall, the GT program had the opportunity to be the first user. Almost never a good idea to be first to market on a technology with no track record. Also, not sure how the ACO would view that technology for purposes of homologation with racing rules. Recall they don't approve of CF wheels either.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
North Olmstead is getting another. Silver. The car will almost certainly land in the Middle East or Asia.

Bernie Moreno has a pretty incredible number of stores for how long he's been in business. I'm sure he'd keep it there forever if he had to.

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
They are looking for $1,000,000 over MSRP if you are interested.

Want to get your hands on an Aston Martin Vulcan? Good luck: the manufacturer is only building 24 of them, and each carries a price tag of over $2 million. But if you're willing to shell out, there's one for sale in Cleveland.

This Fiamma Red example listed for sale on the duPont Registry is described as the first Vulcan in the United States. It bears the VIN AMLVULCANXXXXXX07, indicating that this is the seventh of those two dozen examples to be made. And it can be yours for the small matter of $3.4 million, which is one heck of a markup on a vehicle that's already enormously expensive.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/02/05/aston-martin-vulcan-sale-cleveland-official/

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Incredible exercise in the use of CF and finishes.

That said, I have no idea who the heck they are targeting this car to. Not road legal, and an (unmarked up price) of $2.3M? I believe that they have had this car on the floor since November, and I expect it will set some kind of record for fewest inventory turns. I don't even want to know the cost of floor planning one of these.

The oil cartridge concept is offered to OE's through Castrol (Nexcel?). If I recall, the GT program had the opportunity to be the first user. Almost never a good idea to be first to market on a technology with no track record. Also, not sure how the ACO would view that technology for purposes of homologation with racing rules. Recall they don't approve of CF wheels either.

All 24 cars were sold, so I guess there are at least 24 people that they targeted.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
All 24 cars were sold, so I guess there are at least 24 people that they targeted.

I've heard it said, that it will be rare to see one of the new Ford GT's. Seeing one of these??

Love to see a list of the 24 owners.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
While I see the advantages, there are huge disadvantages like those mentioned.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Very nice work on that car, but I would never be in favor of ANY proprietary oil change system.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Can't disagree on this one. Interesting concept however.

http://www.powerperformancenews.com/news/headlines/castrol-reinvents-the-oil-change-with-nexcel/

I would never be in favor of ANY proprietary oil change system.