Aston Martin DB9

malmquist

Jan 5, 2007
Larkspur, CO.
Love my FGT but need a rag top for sunny days. Please provide me feed back on the DB9 Volante. Is it reliable/fun to drive/comfortable etc? Thanks for the feedback.:thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
How about a GTX1?

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Love my FGT but need a rag top for sunny days. Please provide me feed back on the DB9 Volante. Is it reliable/fun to drive/comfortable etc? Thanks for the feedback.:thumbsup

DB9 Volante did not win universal praise over here in Europe as it does not have a stiff chassis (once it's minus the roof) and is prone to getting rather wobbly in corners.

The Aston Vantage V8 convertible is just the opposite, extremely stiff and is a direct and more stylish alternative to the 911.

If this is just for straight line cruising about, the DB9 would be lovely, if it's for whipping about mountain passes, then perhaps not - if you want an involving drive.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
FOLLOW NEILDA'S LEAD...... might as well buy an old xjs convert its the same thing....... go for the new v8 unreal fit and finish, in the states they dont even go down in value:thumbsup gtjoey1314

malmquist

Jan 5, 2007
Larkspur, CO.
Thanks for the input. I will forget about the BD9. Does anyone have experience with the Bentley GTC? I need a small backseat therefore the Vantage will not work.:willy

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Thanks for the input. I will forget about the BD9. Does anyone have experience with the Bentley GTC? I need a small backseat therefore the Vantage will not work.:willy

Neilda is your man THERE, too! He's owned one (and loved it but for the depreciation). :thumbsup :cheers

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I just wrote a long report on the GTC and now it's gone.... :( This is just a test before I do it all over again.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
OK, here I go again. :ack

Yes, Larry is right, I had a GTC which I loved. Some thoughts:

1. The car's ugly. I know of no Ford GT owner that parks up, locks it and then walks away without turning around and looking at his car and falling in love with it all over again. Not so with the Bentley. Park and run. Run fast.

2. Unrelenting, infinite luxury. The interior of this car has to be one of the nicest places to be. It's superbly done, hugely comfortable and every switch and dial screams luxury. Stuff just 'works' too, the little things like the little tray that holds the card from your mobile phone (option) hidden under the drivers arm rest - ensuring that Sir can receive his phone calls.

3. The convertible element of the GTC adds about 40% over the ownership experience of the hard top version. It's a lovely drive with the top down, it turns you into Simon Cowell, or a captain of industry. You don't want to hurry, you want to whisper along the boulevards and byways of your neighbourhood ensuring you can be seen. By anyone. "Would Sir like to shift gear now?" 'Yes, Sir would very much like to shift gear, thank you so much....."

4. It's surprisingly agile. Given the GTC is roughly the same weight as a small public library, it handles and shifts. The AWD system keeps it planted and the engine puts out more power than Red October. I've sat at 150mph and been entirely content with the world.

5. It's big. It has a big trunk and big back seats. Kids can be swallowed up without a murmur, adults fit without a squeeze. With the top down it's good fun.

6. Don't buy new! I did and lost a fortune. I regret selling it but had a $200k tax bill which I hadn't budgeted for, so figured the Bentley had to go while it was still a very new model (I had one of the very first).

That's it! :biggrin

malmquist

Jan 5, 2007
Larkspur, CO.
Neilda, :thumbsupThanks for the input. I will start my search for a clean used car.

RMaximillian

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2009
Why not the new Maserati Gran Turismo convertible?

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Neilda, :thumbsupThanks for the input. I will start my search for a clean used car.

Let us know how you get on. If you get one, I'm sure you'll love it. It's an extremely comfortable, rapid and well built missile. Buying used is most definitely the way to go.