Ask the GT DOC

tunedup2aGT

Oct 27, 2006
Michigan
Doc,

Even my inside FGT parts guy doesn't know oil service quart refill capacity with filter change...
How many qts of the good stuff?
:thumbsup

Motorcraft SAE 5W-50 Premium Full Synthetic Motor Oil XO-5W50-QGT or equivalent WSS-M2C931-A 9.5 quarts or 9 liters.

DOC.

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
1. Doc how do I contact Saleen ? You mention some folks to speak too. Is there a phone number posted somewhere or what email address I should use.

2. Also I too have the door adjustment issue. I feel like I will break the drivers inside handle if I squeeze any harder when warm. I pretty much have to slamp it shut on the drivers side.

Details:

The lower part of the drivers door is tucked in as compared to the section below the side scoop.

The stripe is a tad higher at the back of the door as well and bugs me. About 1/16".

The area of the door where the latch meets the area above the scoop looks to be lined up pretty good.

The car has a couple hundred miles on it and shows no signs of damage from the dealer. I was wondering how the stripes might have been mis-aligned at install, or is it more likely the door settled or adjustment nuts and bolts were not tight ?.

I don't want to be a guiena pig for the dealers first door adjustment. Maybe you could recommend a dealer that has a good experienced GT techs near 91709.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
does anyone know what the function of the MAP sensor in the GT is?

DWP

GT Owner
Jun 15, 2006
Southern CA and Utah
Cobrar1339,
don't take your car to Galpin Ford for a door alignment. I had an alignment problem, talked to a guy at Saleen in Irvine about it but he was reluctant to have Saleen in Irvine do anything with it as they are not a waranty center and if it turned into anything major other than alignment it would have been a problem. I took the car to Galpin for another warranty issue and they said that they could align the door no problem. Well, big problem. The guy doing it thought that he needed a pry bar between the door overhang and the rear section of the car. What he did not think about is that aluminium is not as strong as the steel he was used to. Crinkled a section on the rear of the car behind the door overhang and put a crack in the paint. They straightend out the crinkled metal pretty good but did nothing about the cracked paint. They did offer to make it right after I brought the crack to their attention but I am not sure that I want them to monkey with it any more.

The door alignment is much better now so that is a plus.

Dave

Aug 25, 2006
Cobrar1339,
don't take your car to Galpin Ford for a door alignment. I had an alignment problem, talked to a guy at Saleen in Irvine about it but he was reluctant to have Saleen in Irvine do anything with it as they are not a waranty center and if it turned into anything major other than alignment it would have been a problem. I took the car to Galpin for another warranty issue and they said that they could align the door no problem. Well, big problem. The guy doing it thought that he needed a pry bar between the door overhang and the rear section of the car. What he did not think about is that aluminium is not as strong as the steel he was used to. Crinkled a section on the rear of the car behind the door overhang and put a crack in the paint. They straightend out the crinkled metal pretty good but did nothing about the cracked paint. They did offer to make it right after I brought the crack to their attention but I am not sure that I want them to monkey with it any more.

The door alignment is much better now so that is a plus.

Dave

I hope that the story aka process used was not as shared. If this is truly what they did I would have gone ballistic.

All the best

Shadowman

DWP

GT Owner
Jun 15, 2006
Southern CA and Utah
The story went pretty much as noted. I did not see personally the pry bar used but have the aftermath plainly visible on the car. Actually the story is much longer and worse than I have noted. I could write a page about the deal if I had time. They kept the car an extra week which turned out to be time to fix up the problem I figure. The did a fair job of covering up the wrinkle but if you move the rubber gasket door seal thing and look under it the metal is bent, you can see where body filler has been used, and one of the rivets is different from all the rest where they seperated the metal sheets to smooth out the wrinkle visible on the top of the car. Actually with the rubber back in place it looks very good except for the paint crack. The paint is cracked under some clear coat so either the clear coat did not crack but the underlying paint did or they have re-shot some clear over the crack. the visible body metal does not look damaged, only the paint crack gives away what is under the rubber gasket.

The paint crack probably bothers me less than the door misalignment. So in some way I came out ahead I guess.

I will not get into the tach replacement which was the original reason for going in. I warned them in advance that I was pretty picky and did not want to see any indication that my dash had been apart. When the light hits it right I can see that it has been apart. The listing on the work order for black touch up paint pretty much gave away the fact that there was evidence of the dash coming apart. It would seem that a little blue masking tape would have been a good idea when removing the dash panel.

As an aside the amount billed out to warranty for the parts part of the tach replacement was just over 5,000.00 . That was surprizing to me. ??

My advice now is to be careful where you take your GT for service. My selling dealer has been very good to work with on my car but they politely asked for me not to ask them to re-align the door, they said that they would be required to if I asked but would rather that I not ask them to. I appreciated their assesment of their capabilities.

I do not think that Galpin did the door alignment at their main facility, I think that they farmed it out somewhere close by. Maybe they have a separate body shop.

I did not buy the car at Galpin.

Dave

Black2003Cobra

Mar 4, 2006
NY
does anyone know what the function of the MAP sensor in the GT is?
Manifold Absolute Pressure.

Aug 25, 2006
The story went pretty much as noted. I did not see personally the pry bar used but have the aftermath plainly visible on the car. Actually the story is much longer and worse than I have noted. I could write a page about the deal if I had time. They kept the car an extra week which turned out to be time to fix up the problem I figure. The did a fair job of covering up the wrinkle but if you move the rubber gasket door seal thing and look under it the metal is bent, you can see where body filler has been used, and one of the rivets is different from all the rest where they seperated the metal sheets to smooth out the wrinkle visible on the top of the car. Actually with the rubber back in place it looks very good except for the paint crack. The paint is cracked under some clear coat so either the clear coat did not crack but the underlying paint did or they have re-shot some clear over the crack. the visible body metal does not look damaged, only the paint crack gives away what is under the rubber gasket.

The paint crack probably bothers me less than the door misalignment. So in some way I came out ahead I guess.

I will not get into the tach replacement which was the original reason for going in. I warned them in advance that I was pretty picky and did not want to see any indication that my dash had been apart. When the light hits it right I can see that it has been apart. The listing on the work order for black touch up paint pretty much gave away the fact that there was evidence of the dash coming apart. It would seem that a little blue masking tape would have been a good idea when removing the dash panel.

As an aside the amount billed out to warranty for the parts part of the tach replacement was just over 5,000.00 . That was surprizing to me. ??

My advice now is to be careful where you take your GT for service. My selling dealer has been very good to work with on my car but they politely asked for me not to ask them to re-align the door, they said that they would be required to if I asked but would rather that I not ask them to. I appreciated their assesment of their capabilities.

I do not think that Galpin did the door alignment at their main facility, I think that they farmed it out somewhere close by. Maybe they have a separate body shop.

I did not buy the car at Galpin.

Dave

Dave; I am truly very sorry for your experience. Sadly many would agree that it has more to do with the fact that Ford did not train the technicians on these gals but rather presented them as simply another gal on the service bay. No this does not make what you went through right and yet it does not surprise me either.

Certainly at the end of the day you have to find your comfort zone and the fact that the door is better but secondary damage was caused is to some an offset however it would still bother me. Now having stated this what would I do; likely take it upon myself to correct it away from the dealership, not because they do not care but rather because they likley are no more up to the task after the fact than they were in the beginning.

Lastly where you purchased it should have no affect on the service received.

I sincerely thank you for sharing your experience.

Have fun with your gal

Takes care

Shadowman

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
DWP, unbelievable..........you clearly have much much more restraint than me. Thank you very much for sharing your story. The next thing I would do is get the email of the Galpin Service Manager and send him a link to this post on the forum. Then do the same for the Ford Regional Sales Manager. The only thing that changes the behavior is action. They need to know that the rest of the world will know all about things that happen at their dealership. If there is one thing every dealer hates, it's bad press. I'm certainly going to remember this story and recommend that all my GT friends, never, I mean never, take their car to Galpin. This is the every reason for the existence of forums, to shine the light on the dark. I wish you great success on repairing your vehicle.

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Dave thanks for the warning.

I have heard both real good and real bad about that dealership. I have not been there. My local dealership is not one I would trust as they have not done any GT work yet. I spoke with the tech and he did not give me a good feeling.

Have you heard about anyone around So. Cal that you would have confidence in ?

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
the metal is bent, you can see where body filler has been used, and one of the rivets is different from all the rest where they seperated the metal sheets to smooth out the wrinkle visible on the top of the car. Actually with the rubber back in place it looks very good except for the paint crack. The paint is cracked under some clear coat so either the clear coat did not crack but the underlying paint did or they have re-shot some clear over the crack. the visible body metal does not look damaged, only the paint crack gives away what is under the rubber gasket.

:thumbsdow

How could someone do that to a GT?? Criminal.

Edson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 28, 2007
Santa Monica
I live in Santa Monica and Galpin is a few miles away. What dealers in Southern California know the GT? Most dealers have little to no experience working on these cars. Who out there has had a positive experience in Southern Cali? I am willing to travel for the best care. Damn, I would blow a head gasket if the dealer bent my car and then hid it.

GJC

GT Owner
Mar 31, 2006
Brea, CA
Headlights

Is it possible to adjust the headlights up a little? How?
GJC

gbvetracer

GT Owner
Jan 25, 2007
Cam followers or rocker followers...

Hey GT doc, what are you thoughts of a new FGT with one or more of these followers off? I had a Ford racing tech say its pretty common with the 03-04 Cobras too.... Were chasing a Boost related problem.... the cars boost has dips and waves in it and its down 2-3 lbs at max also. On the dyno, were also seeing the "load" data following a similar pattern., which im told is definetly NOT normal or good..... Your comments please.... thanks!

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
Waconia MN
Hi GT Doc
My oil pressure dorps to 25 to 0 at idle a few rpm and it gose back up to 25 is this the oil pump? The oil is full on the stick and only 1000 or so miles on this change.
Help