Ask the GT DOC

tunedup2aGT

Oct 27, 2006
Michigan
If anyone has technical questions or any body questions please feel free to post and email.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
We are informed by one of our members that many GT's are missing a round seal/washer that attaches to the bottom of the flip top to the gas filler.

We even have a part number!

Can you throw any light on this one?

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
Are all the body panels such as hood , doors, fenders, interchangable between 05 & 06 ?

tunedup2aGT

Oct 27, 2006
Michigan
Are all the body panels such as hood , doors, fenders, interchangable between 05 & 06 ?

Todd, yes they are.

tunedup2aGT

Oct 27, 2006
Michigan
We are informed by one of our members that many GT's are missing a round seal/washer that attaches to the bottom of the flip top to the gas filler.

We even have a part number!

Can you throw any light on this one?

Neilda what is the part #? the only seal I know of is on the flap that enters the tube when the nozzle is inserted. Also if that one is missing the vehicle would not pass its self test of evaporative emissions (vacuum test).

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
Is there a How To Section with Pictures. I'd like to remove my rear bumper. The way the GT is tuned my White Bumper is Black with Soot. If not can someone please tell me how to remove the bumper.

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
Frank

Removing the bumper is easy. Just the 8 polts you can see on the foward / inside surface.
But if you to delete it and not reinstall it that is a bit tougher.

Black2003Cobra

Mar 4, 2006
NY
I've seen some numbers kicked around elsewhere, but what is the actual front cross-sectional area and drag coefficient?

tunedup2aGT

Oct 27, 2006
Michigan
I've seen some numbers kicked around elsewhere, but what is the actual front cross-sectional area and drag coefficient?

D = Cd * r * V ^2 * A / 2

At terminal velocity, D = W. Solving for the velocity, we obtain the equation

V = sqrt ( (2 * W) / (Cd * r * A) )

The terminal velocity equation tells us that an object with a large cross-sectional area or a high drag coefficient falls slower than an object with a small area or low drag coefficient. A large flat plate falls slower than a small ball with the same weight. If we have two objects with the same area and drag coefficient, like two identically sized spheres, the lighter object falls slower. This seems to contradict the findings of Galileo that all free falling objects fall at the same rate with equal air resistance. But Galileo's principle only applies in a vacuum, where there is NO air resistance and drag is equal to zero. :eek:
So it would be 0 d v
0= airless
d= drag
v=vaccuum
zero drag= more faster!
* Subsonic: Ma < 1
* Sonic: Ma = 1
* Transonic: 0.8 < Ma < 1.3
* Supersonic: 1.2 < Ma < 5
* Hypersonic: Ma > 5

[B]For the GT drag coefficient is 0.28Cd[/B]

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
And why do men have nipples exactly? :biggrin

Just kidding - thanks for the view on the petrol flap and the insight. Kind of you to answer all questions too.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Men's nipples are a vestigial, genetic trait. Most other species have nipple lines. Occasionally you see extra nipples in both males and females (Ian Fleming's Scaramonga in the Man with The Golden Gun). Given time, they will probably evolve away. Be glad you're not a seahorse.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Men's nipples are a vestigial, genetic trait. Most other species have nipple lines. Occasionally you see extra nipples in both males and females (Ian Fleming's Scaramonga in the Man with The Golden Gun). Given time, they will probably evolve away. Be glad you're not a seahorse.

Only "The Good Doctor" would know the answer.:eek

:biggrin :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

tunedup2aGT

Oct 27, 2006
Michigan
I guess all is well with the GTs

I guess all is well on the GTs out there. ( no questions to answer) :cheers :biggrin :thumbsup :confused Great news!!!!!!!!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I guess all is well on the GTs out there. ( no questions to answer) :cheers :biggrin :thumbsup :confused Great news!!!!!!!!

Okay, Doc, I'll give yuh sumpthin' 2 do - what's the part number for the little rubber "cover" on the GT's door switch? The parts guy here in town showed me the 'peuter page of the GT's door electrics & the only thing there is the ENTIRE switch, not just the rubber "cover". Thanks ~~~~~~

Black2003Cobra

Mar 4, 2006
NY
For the GT drag coefficient is 0.28Cd
Is it really that low? Can you provide a reference by any chance? (Other numbers I've seen were closer to 0.4)

Any idea on the cross sectional area?

I'm already familiar with the theory, but thanks just the same. Are you an engineer, too?

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Paint Question

We have talked on the site about exterior paint and stripes.

What is the paint / color for the engine compartment subframes, etc. Seems to be paint over the metal. Nice to know in case we ever need to do a touch up.

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.

What is the paint / color for the engine compartment subframes, etc. Seems to be paint over the metal. Nice to know in case we ever need to do a touch up.

The paint is called SUPER SILVER
Saleen sent me a full size spray can of it for free.
The can is private/generic label with a serial/batch # of JX-12224

tunedup2aGT

Oct 27, 2006
Michigan

The Paint was called Super Silver in the plant. I am not sure what the term is used in the repair books . check with a top line body shop they have books on all colors of paints used inside,outside and in engine compartment.

tunedup2aGT

Oct 27, 2006
Michigan
Okay, Doc, I'll give yuh sumpthin' 2 do - what's the part number for the little rubber "cover" on the GT's door switch? The parts guy here in town showed me the 'peuter page of the GT's door electrics & the only thing there is the ENTIRE switch, not just the rubber "cover". Thanks ~~~~~~

Actually that is correct the switch came with the rubber on it. it is pretty easy to replace the switch.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Next question.

I know we saw this on the tour, but old age is fading the brain.

Were the side stripes put on at Saleen or Wixom? Remember the rack, but don't recall which plant.

From memory, the optional (main) stripes were at Saleen, correct?