Are my new tires too old?

Cadster

GT Owner
May 21, 2017
So my new Bridgestone‘s arrived Mon/Tues. I‘m scheduled to have them installed this morning. The fronts are 24 months old, and the rears are 39 months old. Is that about normal? Seems like that will shorten the useful life considerably. On the bright side, the tires were somewhat reasonably priced at $1542 shipped, and they came super fast.

Johntpr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 18, 2017
Rockland County, NY
I would say too old. I am sure they are fine for now, but they certainly aren't as good as a fresh set as far as how long they will be good for in the future. Where did you buy from and did you ask them to check the date codes before shipping?

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Old stock.....Maybe good for a year but too old....
IMHO
GTJOEY1314

Reactions: roketman

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
When you say the tires are too old, what type of driving are you referring to?
Occasional driving, shows, out for a nice drive, occasional enjoyment?
or
Track, abusing, having extreme fun?

Are they bad for say going out to breakfast? Or just a drive to anywhere?

Cadster

GT Owner
May 21, 2017
So certainly better than the 15 years Goodyears that were on the car, but certainly far less than ideal? My ONLY driving is conducted on quiet, lonely two lane back country roads. No track days. Spirited for sure, but extremely sensible. I take safety to myself and others seriously. Too much to live for, too much to lose. Assuming 1000 miles per year in those driving conditions, how much useful life might I expect? Thanks for your feedback to far.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
So my new Bridgestone‘s arrived Mon/Tues. I‘m scheduled to have them installed this morning. The fronts are 24 months old, and the rears are 39 months old. Is that about normal? Seems like that will shorten the useful life considerably. On the bright side, the tires were somewhat reasonably priced at $1542 shipped, and they came super fast.

No, that sucks....you shouldn't be paying full price for these.

Reactions: roketman

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
They will turn into hockey pucks in two years.....
Be careful…..
gtjoey1314

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Be careful…..
gtjoey1314
I'd say that's true of the original Goodyears, but my Bridgestones were 8 years old and showed no signs of deterioration of any kind. Rubber was still "soft" (Bridgestones are notorious for picking up stones) and the sidewalls showed no signs of checking. If they've been stored inside they should be OK.

Reactions: Stef

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Be careful…..
gtjoey1314

Picking up on what Joey is saying, there is a specific way to store tires for long periods of time (I had to learn how to do this when I ended up with an extra set of Diablo tires) and just sitting on a rack......isn't it.

Cadster

GT Owner
May 21, 2017
So on my my next set of times, how do I avoid getting day old bread? Is there a particular source that is better than another?

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Ask them what the date codes are, and get them to send you pictures. Who did you use this time?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
So on my my next set of times, how do I avoid getting day old bread? Is there a particular source that is better than another?
Tire Rack typically turns their inventory quickly. The disadvantage of that is that they frequently run out of stock.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
They will be fine for just touring around. Make sure they are high speed balanced and watch for flat spotting over the winter. I have been running mine at 28 psi to prevent center wear. Seems to work pretty well. Watch for alignment problems. If you won't do track or mile events they should be fine. Watch out for overtorquing the lugs. Last time I replaced my tires they put too much torque on the nuts and they flattened out and you could not put a wrench on them had to beat them off and replace.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Cadster, they are probably fine for your intended driving. But if I were purchasing new tires and paying retail or slightly discounted pricing, I would not accept the purchase of these "old" tires.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Good advice on the torque Dr Frank
Didn't the manual say like 115 or 120 ft/ lbs but Rich Brooks says 100 or 105 ft / lbs - somewhere along those numbers

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
100.. The book (05) said 98.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
100.. The book (05) said 98.

Hmmm - I stand corrected

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
50 then 75 then tweek to 100.
This way you cant strip the threads or cup or flatten out the hole and nut.
gtjoey1314

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Not sure where I got it but when tracking my car we were tourqing to 100

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
50 then 75 then tweek to 100.
This way you cant strip the threads or cup or flatten out the hole and nut.
gtjoey1314

Joey, sequence tightening has nothing to do with striping the threads or flatten out the hole/nut.❓
Same would be true for your Aston Martin.
Absolute torque applied controls these anomalies.

As Frank correctly states, his problems resulted from someone OVER torqueing the nuts not the load-up sequence.