Apropos of nothing

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
I spent an hour or two at the local C&C gathering today. It's a weekly thing in San Jose, the heart of Silicon Valley. Thus hardly a low rent event. A lifetime supply of Scuderia's, GT2's and 3's, Gallardo's, Murcielago, rotisserie'd muscle cars and Lotus'. Last week a pair of Veyron's. I've only attended twice prior - but never with the GT, just kind of lurking in the corner. But given the Memorial Day weekend, I thought it only appropriate to show up in an american classic.
My wife and I rolled up in the GT and the crowd went wild. Or rather, the display of an incredible case of mass A.D.D., surrounding us, asking questions, utterly disregarding every other car in the lot, and otherwise acting giddy in the presence of the most beautiful car in the gathering.
I was asked more than once, 'So, if you could have any car here, would you ever trade?'. I didn't have to answer.
Since I was 9 or so, I always thought the GT was magical. Proved it again today.
I wiped the drool off of the machined A-arms as soon as I got home...

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Santana Row, right!

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I've seen that happen in the UK too.

It seems that many of the exotic cars shout 'look what I got' whereas the GT tends to say 'look what I drive'.

Like many here, I've had some very vulgar machinery, including a Murcielago. Wonderful cars, but the GT appeals more as an enthusiasts car, it means something.

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Yep. It was drool-tastic! :)

Santana Row, right!

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Yes, though to be fair, the crowd at this event is quite a mix. Some posers, some who track their cars quite often. But nearly every one of them displayed the look of appreciation in the presence of something as special as the FGT.
There really IS nothing I'd trade for. And only one other car that I consider in the same class as the GT. That's the Carrera GT. Perhaps someday...

I've seen that happen in the UK too.

It seems that many of the exotic cars shout 'look what I got' whereas the GT tends to say 'look what I drive'.

Like many here, I've had some very vulgar machinery, including a Murcielago. Wonderful cars, but the GT appeals more as an enthusiasts car, it means something.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Funny you should mention a CGT. Ed Sims, Mousecatcher and I went with 2 FGT and a CGT. This was off season so there weren't too many cars that day but both the FGT and the CGT were the most notable cars that day.

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
Every time I am in San Jose on business, which is often, I drop by Santana Row for dinner. Great place with lots of restaurants and good scenery. I was not aware that they had a C&C type event. Maybe its worth a weekend stay one of these times.

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I was detailing my GT the other day in the driveway when a Cessna flew over our yard. I thought I noticed it jiggle a little as it went over, but I assumed it was just my imagination. A few moments later, the plane came back, but well under the minimum altitude requirements for class E airspace. The pilot stood the plane on its left wing; clearly taking a good look at the car. A few minutes later, the plane came back again, but this time it banked hard right to give the copilot a good look.

How cool is that? This car always gets attention.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I wonder whos car this was? :lol

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
My agent said he took care of the paparazzi!
But now you can see that ugly Ferrari buildup.
:)

I wonder whos car this was? :lol

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
And please let me know next time you're planning to head down there. It would be nice to meet the person behind the avatar. And, if you know of an opportunity for a CGT spotting there, please give me the heads up. I sat in one at the Porsche museum, have scanned countless youtube videos, but have never heard one howling in the carbon fiber flesh.

Funny you should mention a CGT. Ed Sims, Mousecatcher and I went with 2 FGT and a CGT. This was off season so there weren't too many cars that day but both the FGT and the CGT were the most notable cars that day.

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
FGT vs CGT

t32b - Black Ice & I were able to drive the FGT & CGT back to back. The Porsche is a very cool car (love that sound) but the FGT was the crowd fav.

Ed

http://http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13594&highlight=california

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Ed,
No doubt the FGT is the greatest crowd pleaser. And my favorite as well. The Porsche slots in as second. I don't think anything else is in their class. Well, I guess there's a Shelby Cobra. Yes, that's the third of three. Uh oh, this list is getting longer...
I feel obliged to add that there are many many excellent cars - ZR1, F430, the new Gallardo, GT3, Exige. But they're not in the 'special/would never sell' category. For me at least.
Rich
P.S. Ed, I couldn't open the link.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
I was detailing my GT the other day in the driveway when a Cessna flew over our yard. I thought I noticed it jiggle a little as it went over, but I assumed it was just my imagination. A few moments later, the plane came back, but well under the minimum altitude requirements for class E airspace. The pilot stood the plane on its left wing; clearly taking a good look at the car. A few minutes later, the plane came back again, but this time it banked hard right to give the copilot a good look.

How cool is that? This car always gets attention.

Very cool.