Anyone interested in protection ??

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I've been looking for a road worthy front windshied protection. I've seen the Racining optics tear offs but don't think that will work for the street.

Today at SEMA I stumbled on a company that has just what I was looking for. The have pre cut , high optic grade film to protect the front windshield from chips and cracks. These are precut and thermally shaped for an exact fit. They are not sure if they have a pattern for the GT so I made a proposal to them. If I could find a local GT for them to make the pattern and get a commitment for 10 to 20 units they would make one for the GT. They said they would give a free one to the prototype car owner for his trouble.
They told me that they would be Approx. $ 80ea. Which I think is reasonable. I would get (2) myself. They said they last about a year of day to day use on a normal car?

They will get back to me when they get back to their shop from SEMA. They will let me know if they have a GT pattern. If yes I will post the contact info. If they don't have the pattern would there be a GT owner in the Sacramento Ca area that would be willing to take their car down to be fitted?

I told them I would post this to see if I could come up with a car and at least 10 others that maybe interested. The name of the product is called 3D Windshield Skins. I went to their website but didn't see this product. It maybe to new?? Their website is www.prolinestyling.com . Post feedback here if you're interested and I'll wait to hear from them next week. If anyone knows of any other similar products please let me know.

Update: 11/ 13 / 06

I just spoke with the guys at Proline. They have ordered a GT windshield to make the pattern. Ford did not have any in stock. They had to find an alternate source. I told them that I would organize a group buy here. Anyone who wants one can order direct. We will post a code or reference here. Final price has not been set but they said it should be close to the number they threw at me which was a ballpark jobber price.

Last edited:

Car Wash King

GT Owner
Jul 4, 2006
Im in sacramento would be more than happy to let them use my heffner tt gt to get these made up. Thanks John

Aug 25, 2006
I am ready......

Put me down for a couple of them

Shadowman

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
one pls

Midnite Blu

GT Owner #755
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
I'll take two, thanks George

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I'll take two .....

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Stormy, you the man, for a guy that is new, you are on the ball! Count me in for two, I'll stop by their booth today and check it out myself.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
And the two I want puts us at twelve...

Thanks Brian

Last edited:

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Two more makes 14.. !

Stormy Brian, good man ! Ft.Lauderdale leadership.. :wink

ssssstefan

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
It's great to see we have a volunteer in Sac. I would think this would be high on the list for most GT owners. Someone on this board just got crack in his windshield.
It was great to meet some of you at the SEMA lunch !! For the record I talked to Bo Smith at the booth. I filled out a quote request. Now we just have to wait until next week to see if they have the pattern.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Windshield Cover

I know of aTungsten that needs one. Count me in.

I would like to know how this works with rainex.

Thanks for finding these folks.

Tonycan

GT Owner
Jul 23, 2006
I'm in.

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
I'm in. I'm also near Sacramento if the other car doesn't work out.

H

HHGT

Please put me down for 2 as well.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I'm in for one. Seems cheap enough.

GordonWolf

Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 26, 2006
Las Vegas
I'll take one also...
Thanks Stormcat :thumbsup

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
One hear please :biggrin

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Racing Optics info

Just for the record,

Racing Optics does makes a laminated windshield product designed mainly for NASCAR and military, which consist of either 2 or 4 layers of film. I know these guys very well and I have purchased a huge roll of it from them because I was going to install their windshield film system on all of my cars.

The main advantage of the Racing Optics system is during a pit stop, the pit crew can quickly peel the outer layer off, thus giving the driver the appearance of a new, clean windshield. One other important feature is that their laminated film products are bonded together using their patented process. This results in several stacked layers appear as one (meaning very low light loss compared to competitive products, as they loose about 4% light with each layer of film). Due to the multiple layers, their windshield film is more difficult to install since you are having to form something a bit thicker. However, their product gives much better protection against rocks and larger sized pieces of road debris. The have probably chosen to stay away from the consumer market due to legal issues.

I was considering offering this product and installation service to GT owners, however, at $80 for the product that you have mentioned I would not be able to compete.

I think that it would be wise for all GT owners to have some sort of external protective film on their windshield. Also, applying a film to a windshield in most states is probably illegal in most states, however, since it's clear, nobody should notice.

This was just meant to be an "FYI".

Nice find STORMCAT!

Jay
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I'm in

I'll take two. Arizona, land of the flying rocks. I broke my Jeep windshield AGAIN today. That's my 3rd windshield in my 2 year old Jeep and I am on my 4th windshield in my 3 year old Expedition. Good grief. :bored

Chip

Last edited:

toomanytoys

GT Owner
Aug 8, 2006
Las Vegas
I'll take one. I wounder if they could also make a pattern for the headlights and fog lamps while they are at it. Regular clear bra film gets a little cloudy.