Anyone here own/owned a 550 maranello?

silver1331

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2008
Chicago, IL
Been looking for a 2nd fun car to own and was leaning towards an 05/06 F430 but i noticed that the maranellos have come down a TON! From what i hear they are pretty reliable cars and alot of fun to drive...i have seen 2000 and 2001s in the 75k range and it just seems like exceptional car for the money. I think the 430s are awesome but there is something about the 550 understated look that is attractive...

Anyone here own one now or previously? How did you like them?

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I sold my 03 575 a week ago and bought a 07 Gallardo Spyder.

If you want some comfort get one (a 575). Also make sure to get a 575 with F1.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Talk to TimCantwell, he owned like 3 of them I believe. Also, Tiger 6 brought his to the first rally. Seem like pretty cars for the money.

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC

I bought one in October (should have waited until January). I love the car. It's everything it's billed as. Maintenance is high - but the rewards are worth it - in my opinion. I've had it on track and was very impressed. Loads of torque as you would expect. A very civil understated car.

doliva

GT Owner
Jan 3, 2009
Philippines
I currently own one...all i can say is make sure if you buy one it is in tip-top shape. maintenance cost is definitely high. i wont be keeping mine for much longer as i find it at the shop more often than on the road. :S i had the coolant lines blow, ABS sensor conk out (did i mention parts are expensive!)...I just feel that it is showing its age. Dont get me wrong though..it is a beautiful car with tons of power under the bonnet. try considering the 575M for a little more. Oh and 6speed over F1....you wont belive how much parts cost for the F1 transmissions. :O

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
... maintenance cost is definitely high...(did i mention parts are expensive!)......you wont belive how much parts cost for the F1 transmissions. :O

Somehow this always seems to be a standard theme when one's discussing F-car ownership!:lol :cheers

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Somehow this always seems to be a standard theme when one's discussing F-car ownership!:lol :cheers

Yep, you can view the initial purchase price of an F car as merely the initiation fee and the maintenance cost your yearly dues. The later may outstrip the former if you drive and keep the car for many years. Of course for obvious reasons, EP's maintenance cost would be much lower. :lol

doliva

GT Owner
Jan 3, 2009
Philippines

uhm...talk about reliability of F-cars....take it from me. :wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vTc-kKEnUU

:thumbsdow

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Yep, you can view the initial purchase price of an F car as merely the initiation fee and the maintenance cost your yearly dues. The later may outstrip the former if you drive and keep the car for many years. Of course for obvious reasons, EP's maintenance cost would be much lower. :lol

..Sigh...:tap: Why did I just KNOW that last comment was comin'? :tap::slap:sleep:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
uhm...talk about reliability of F-cars....take it from me. :wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vTc-kKEnUU

:thumbsdow

There seemed to be a rash of F&L-car highway fires a couple years back.

Needless to say, THAT situation really has to suck for an owner... :ack:frown

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

And we know just because it is always parked in the garage doesn't mean that it can happen!

doliva

GT Owner
Jan 3, 2009
Philippines

Yea...that was my F430 in the video. Happened july '07 in the Philippines. :frown

Definitely sucks. Apprent cause was an oil leak (factory defect). Frankly i do not know how they even diagnosed that as the entire rear was charred beyond recognition. They offered a replacement vehicle but they wouldnt shoulder the importation cost that I incurred as well as they slapped me with a 30% depreciation since i "used" the car for a year. I told myself "not like i wanted it to burn to the ground"?! :ack I ended up selling the replacement unit.

My opinion is if you want to go the F-car route...consider getting a Lamborgihini instead (I'm assuming most people have FGTs already). :biggrin

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
550 for sale

Been looking for a 2nd fun car to own and was leaning towards an 05/06 F430 but i noticed that the maranellos have come down a TON! From what i hear they are pretty reliable cars and alot of fun to drive...i have seen 2000 and 2001s in the 75k range and it just seems like exceptional car for the money. I think the 430s are awesome but there is something about the 550 understated look that is attractive...

Anyone here own one now or previously? How did you like them?

I have a buddy that has one he might part with.
Car is in Oklahoma.
Silver with plus size HREs, plus the original wheels.
Red interior.

The thing is just beautiful.... Sounds better.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Thank God for SafeCraft fire systems.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Yea...that was my F430 in the video. Happened july '07 in the Philippines. :frown

My opinion is if you want to go the F-car route...consider getting a Lamborgihini instead (I'm assuming most people have FGTs already). :biggrin

Amazing! That is terrible to hear but thank god you made it out alive!

I also think the 06+ Gallardos are exceptionally good deals, and 04s can be had well under 100k. Which is crazy.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

'Sure reinforces the decision to buy a FGT (or 2, or 3, or...), doesn't it. :ack