Any Problems with Ecoboost on Ford Trucks?

StormBringer

Jul 18, 2014
Greenwich & Malibu
I have read some comments by some members here about the ecoboost engine in Ford trucks and how they encountered trouble when going to pass another vehicle. I believe this was brought up because an ecoboost is going into the new GT. Crap in the pants was one quote I believe. This is why I ask.

I must have ordered over 75 Ford Trucks in the last 35 years and all of them have had 8 or 10 cylinders(except some late 1970's had a 6). Some better than others and obviously some with great longevity. Some of our properties have some very large horse trailers and equipment to haul. Not all are F150's, some are F250 ,Super Duty and even commercial trucks.

I started a Veteran's Village in Florida where challenged and retired vets help each other, in fact, it is a requirement to volunteer to obtain a house here. One member has been putting in a crazy amount of extra work getting this project off the ground. He's ex USN firefighter and damage control expert(Ben)and I want to get him a vehicle. He requested a truck so I stopped in and took a look at what was in stock in the area. Just spent a few minutes due to time and looked at a red Ford F150 4 x 4 supercrew XLT with big tires. Actually it was a bit off the ground so I could not read the sticker in the front window. I did take a picture and left. Had the person(retired Naval Aviator) in charge of running day to day operations put in an order after a test drive with Ben.

I have been overseas and just returned and in Florida now and just came across the invoice and was surprised to see it has an ecoboost engine. I guess I missed the ecoboost on the side of the truck when first viewing it. Well luckily the invoice has to pass my desk before delivery so I put a hold on it.

It's a nice looking truck but I guess I'm old school about the engine. Any comments would be welcome about the ecoboost. I'm leaning at bringing a late model King Ranch down from Montana and waiting for a Raptor next year and Ben seemed to like the idea of a Raptor.

Funny thing an ecoboost will be in the new Raptors.

Probably will be making a decision before heading home in two days.

Thanks

NavyVet

GT Owner
Nov 27, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
First, thanks for what you do for Vets. Just lost my father last month at age 98 - a WWII combat vet. I was Navy as well.

I bought an Explorer Sport with the 3.5L Ecoboost last October. I have 6500 miles on it including driving (and passing) through the AZ mountains. No passing issues, tons of torque, unbelievable! I would definitely order it in a pickup as well, even over the V8. Just my 2 cents....

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I would suggest a test drive. But this isn't probably the best place to get a good perspective. Surely there are Ford truck forums that have lots more feedback.

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
I have a 2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5L V6 Platinum with SuperCrew and 6.5' bed. Pretty much maxed out with all the goodies Ford offered at the time. This is my first pickup and I've been very pleased with the truck and the Ecoboost engine. I currently have about 42K miles on it and really haven't had any issues with highway drivability or towing capability of the truck. I tow my GT in an enclosed alum. trailer and with the GT inside (7700 lbs total wt.) have no problem keeping up or passing interstate/highway traffic. I do run premium gas in mine and my fast highway gas mileage both towing and non-towing is not what Ford is touted for the truck. It has been a very positive truck owning experience and I haven't missed not having a V8 engine. My next truck will definitely be a Ford Ecoboost product.

Hope this helps.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
What is the EcoBoost advantage?

Nobody asks questions about V8 reliability and performance.

No big fuel economy difference.

Seems like a leftover 2014 V8 would be a huge bargain.

mopar

GT Owner
Jan 23, 2014
grosse ile mich
i love my 2014 f150 EB

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
The left overs are big bargains! But when we start showing most people the interior and features of the 15's about 70% are going with the 15. A well equipped 14 are getting tougher to find.

Many post here and elsewhere about v8 verse the ecoboost. The Ecoboost pulls better loads.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
For the 15s, the 6.2L is gone. So the only options are 5.0l V8 or the Ecoboost. All you have to do is drive one of each and the choice is obvious. While the 5.0 is a decent v8, it lacks a lot of the low end torque that the EB engine has. And the EB does get better milage than the 6.2 v8 did which is actually the better comparison WRT performance.

The trouble with the fuel economy comparisons is that most are comparing a much higher HP ecoboost to a much lower HP na engine. Not anywhere near a fair comparison. The EB needs to be compared to a comparable performance NA.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
I am on my fifth F-150 Ecoboost with the 2015 Aluminum Crew cab. I love this engine, tons of low end pulling power, quiet and great fun without the trailer.
I pull a 7800 pound trailer with huge frontal area and the Ecoboost will go faster than I want to go up any grade I have been on with the trailer.
The only issue I have heard is that spark plug life can be lower with constant trailer pulling. I have been getting Ford trucks every year since 1997 starting with diesel F-250's until the Ecoboost came out in 2011 and I can say this 2015 is the best truck I have ever had. It doesn't get the mileage of a Dodge baby diesel but I don't care, it is so much fun to drive I'll pay the difference any day to get the performance both towing and not towing.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
OP - The much publicized "fall on its face when passing" problem was found to be the intercooler which would under very certain (mostly rare) cricumstances would accumulate moisture and the engine would suck this in. I had it happen once - oddly enough while passing with a trailer in tow. The drivetrain shook violently and it honestly felt at the time like a severe transmission issue rather than an engine issue. I had been in a driving rainstorm, at night, on the way to vegas. We had stopped briefly (30 mins) for snacks and were just getting back underway when the incident occurred. Scary!! Anyway, I wouldn't let THIS problem deter me from buying the EB engine again. For towing, it is an ANIMAL! Really tough to beat.

All that said..... (diehard Ford boys, stop reading here)... the best 1/2 ton on the market is the Ram trucks. I UPGRADED from a fully loaded F150 EB to the Ram EcoDiesel and have never looked back. Fit/finish luxury of the RAM is a light year ahead of the Ford (although Ford has closed the gap with the 2015). The ride is vastly superior in the Ram coils (or air suspension) at all 4 corners, not leafsprings. The Ram EcoDiesel is MUCH better on fuel but it is admittedly at the expense of not having the oomph of the EB. The Ram is my dd and I average 23mpg whereas the F150 over the same dd was 14mpg. On the freeway at 75-80mph speeds my EB would get about 16.5mpg and the Ram gets 26mpg. Towing a 7,000 enclosed car trailer, the F150 was consistently at 10mpg and the Ram is 14-16mpg loaded and almost 18mpg unloaded. I love the 3.0L diesel and 8-speed trans. Mine has the 4-corner air suspension.... provides for a very silky car-like ride, lowers itself down automatically on the freeway, and can be commanded to raise itself 2" for off-roading. Stick a pin in your finger tip. If the blood is not Ford Blue, check out the Ram. If it's blue, the go with the F150 with the EB.... one of the best engines ever, IMO.

StormBringer

Jul 18, 2014
Greenwich & Malibu
First, thanks for what you do for Vets. Just lost my father last month at age 98 - a WWII combat vet. I was Navy as well.

I bought an Explorer Sport with the 3.5L Ecoboost last October. I have 6500 miles on it including driving (and passing) through the AZ mountains. No passing issues, tons of torque, unbelievable! I would definitely order it in a pickup as well, even over the V8. Just my 2 cents....

Thanks to your father and yourself for sacrifice and service. USN here too. Sometimes I get lazy and state ex or retired but you know if you were Navy or Marine twenty years ago you are still Navy,Army, Air Force and C.G. too.

I would suggest a test drive. But this isn't probably the best place to get a good perspective. Surely there are Ford truck forums that have lots more feedback.

A simple test drive is not going to give me the answers. It was on this forum that issues were brought up and I am not on multiple forums or have time for that. Also note comment below about longevity.

I have a 2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5L V6 Platinum with SuperCrew and 6.5' bed. Pretty much maxed out with all the goodies Ford offered at the time. This is my first pickup and I've been very pleased with the truck and the Ecoboost engine. I currently have about 42K miles on it and really haven't had any issues with highway drivability or towing capability of the truck. I tow my GT in an enclosed alum. trailer and with the GT inside (7700 lbs total wt.) have no problem keeping up or passing interstate/highway traffic. I do run premium gas in mine and my fast highway gas mileage both towing and non-towing is not what Ford is touted for the truck. It has been a very positive truck owning experience and I haven't missed not having a V8 engine. My next truck will definitely be a Ford Ecoboost product.

Hope this helps.

Sounds like a good truck, I believe I saw a white platinum posted in another thread.

What is the EcoBoost advantage?

Nobody asks questions about V8 reliability and performance.

No big fuel economy difference.

Seems like a leftover 2014 V8 would be a huge bargain.

I do, I sort of hinted on it with past trucks with some having better longevity than others. Ecoboost seems to be the future but we have had millions of hard miles on 8 and ten cylinders. There's enough trucks around to pull one from a property instead of looking for a leftover. I was getting a new truck for a new beginning at a new home for a great man. Dam thing is a 2012 F150 short bed just about fits in his garage because I just tried it for size myself. The others would never fit. Might have to build from scratch and relocate Ben.

For the 15s, the 6.2L is gone. So the only options are 5.0l V8 or the Ecoboost. All you have to do is drive one of each and the choice is obvious. While the 5.0 is a decent v8, it lacks a lot of the low end torque that the EB engine has. And the EB does get better milage than the 6.2 v8 did which is actually the better comparison WRT performance.

The trouble with the fuel economy comparisons is that most are comparing a much higher HP ecoboost to a much lower HP na engine. Not anywhere near a fair comparison. The EB needs to be compared to a comparable performance NA.

I never worry about gas mileage but it sounds like you have some well traveled miles for a good comparison.

I am on my fifth F-150 Ecoboost with the 2015 Aluminum Crew cab. I love this engine, tons of low end pulling power, quiet and great fun without the trailer.
I pull a 7800 pound trailer with huge frontal area and the Ecoboost will go faster than I want to go up any grade I have been on with the trailer.
The only issue I have heard is that spark plug life can be lower with constant trailer pulling. I have been getting Ford trucks every year since 1997 starting with diesel F-250's until the Ecoboost came out in 2011 and I can say this 2015 is the best truck I have ever had. It doesn't get the mileage of a Dodge baby diesel but I don't care, it is so much fun to drive I'll pay the difference any day to get the performance both towing and not towing.

Good luck with your most recent truck great to see it's fun to drive.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I will let Ben decide if he wants that one or another but he's using my truck for now.