ALMS weekend

mousecatcher

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2007
San Mateo, CA
Wow, the Ford GTs down here at Laguna Seca right now are amazing. However, I'm sorry but the GT1 corvettes are tits!

mousecatcher

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2007
San Mateo, CA
pics

small assortment of pics

img0001xf5.jpg

img0003ru4.jpg

img0024ay0.jpg

img0078gn2.jpg

img0453qx3.jpg

img0620jo3.jpg

img0622jd9.jpg

img0726fo0.jpg

img0730hk1.jpg

img0732kc3.jpg

img0739bn0.jpg

img0862cb1.jpg

img0864df4.jpg

img0975ob9.jpg

Who is that good looking guy on the right?!
img0425vf9.jpg

Paddock shots of the #40 FGT before the race:
img0045vc8.jpg

img0046cp4.jpg

Paddock shots of the #40 FGT after the race:
img0047jg5.jpg

img0048gp8.jpg

img0050en2.jpg

Sorry, couldn't get any pit lane shots of the FGT, both of their pit locations were landlocked and I would have had to be pretty aggressive to get in there.

somelee

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 9, 2007
New York & SoCal
However, I'm sorry but the GT1 corvettes are tits!

aren't they the only ones in their class? basically racing against each other? Good PR I guess. Cool cars either way.

atspeed

LAST BLU
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 13, 2007
Berkeley, CA
My photos from the ALMS race this past weekend

I've finally gotten my photos from the weekend done. You can find them here:

http://atspeedimages.com/search.php?s=2008+alms+laguna

And for those that only want to see the Ford GT-Rs, try this link:

http://atspeedimages.com/search.php?s=2008+alms+laguna+ford+gt

Enjoy.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Ford GT at Laguna

Mousecatcher - Great photos! I wish I could've gone to that race.

Ed

PS Thanks for lunch at Alice's & letting me thrash your F430 on some awesome NorCal roads today! California rocks sometimes!

mousecatcher

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2007
San Mateo, CA
Ed - thanks for letting me drive your amazing car! unbelievable! everyone needs to get the stillen gears.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I had a nice time also driving mousecatcher's F430 and Ed's monster GT. The Stillen gears are wonderful, as one would expect the ratios to be from the factory. I was a little bummed out with mousecatcher told me my Whipple'd GT was much faster than his stock FGT, but a slug compared to Ed's.

BTW, the F430 is very nice and may be be a consideration to own in the future given the current price trends.

Before going for the supercar comparision drives we stopped we went to Alice's on Hwy 35 in my beatup Chevy pickup and saw this lowered S7 there with dealer plates. I don't know how it even got into the parking lot without scraping. Lovely color!

Attachments

• s7a.jpg
    s7a.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

mousecatcher

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2007
San Mateo, CA
Before going for supercar comparision drives we stopped all went to Alice's on Hwy 35 in my beatup Checy pickup and saw this lowered S7 there. I don't know how it even got into the parking lot without scraping. Lovely color!

Forgot about that! Amazing car. I can't believe how low it was. Ed, post the pics!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Forgot about that! Amazing car. I can't believe how low it was. Ed, post the pics!

I fixed my post, hit submit too quickly. I can email you the high res if you want it.

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Ed's FGT vs Mousecatcher's F430

Loved the driver's postion on the F430. My size 8 foot & 5'9" height fit it perfect. The steering wheel, shifter location & pedals (all 3 of them!) were perfect in the F430 for me. My FGT isn't as nice for the control layout but the FGT's brakes, power & steering rule! Cool to drive back to back on demanding roads for a real comparison.

Ed

PS I feel the FGT has more race in it while the F430 has more touring. Check out how low the roof on the FGT is compared to the F430!

Attachments

• IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 111

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I found that the F430 had better feeling in the steering and throttle response than the FGT. When the revs are about 4000, the smallest change in the throttle position is converted instantly to an acceleration or deceleration car. From idle to about 4000 when the secondaries on the exhaust open the F430 sounds like it anemic, but at 4000+ rpm it sounds great. I found the gated shifter much harder to use than the shifter on the FGT. As for power I won't even try to compare we all know the answer.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
comparison

After a hard drive on the twisties to the wine country this weekend I have to say the steering on the FGT is amazing. Absolutely fantastic! Great firm brake pedal feel with instant stop power. Temperature 68 & sunny was nice too.

The throttle response on the F430 was extremely sharp. We only drove it in Race Mode. I wonder if the other modes change that response? Either way, throttle pedal input was very fast! I liked it. I'm not sure I'd like it with 800 rwhp though.

Ed

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Check out how low the roof on the FGT is compared to the F430!

Ed that photo is misleading. You took the picture with wide angle focal length when the f430 was closer to the camera, besides you lowered you FGT more then most. Shadowman told me it was lower than any FGT he has seen. That said the F430 is 47.8" vs. about 44" for a stock FGT.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
4" is a lot she says!

Stock the FGT is almost 4" lower than the F430! Close to 10% lower? That's low.

Hey, you sound close to getting that used F430 you mentioned to me. Don't do it! Let's go in together for a salvaged FGT so we can turn it into a full time race car!

Ed

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Stock the FGT is almost 4" lower than the F430! Close to 10% lower? That's low.

Hey, you sound close to getting that used F430 you mentioned to me. Don't do it! Let's go in together for a salvaged FGT so we can turn it into a full time race car!

Ed
That 4" allows one to fit better with a helmet on! Too bad the FGT is much better on the track than a F430 according to mousecatcher that has experience with them both.

Nah, not yet, more reseach and the prices will have to come down a little more. A salvaged FGT would be less money to buy and keep running as long as it isn't crashed to badly. :biggrin

But if you got even 1/2 of a salvaged FGT your wife will not be happy. Remember what she told you when she over heard me joking say you were going to buy a F430?

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Wife likes me still

I only got out of that one by convincing her you were a habitual liar! Ha! Ah, I had to buy her some jewelry also! Thanks Black Ice!

Ed

mousecatcher

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2007
San Mateo, CA
But if you got even 1/2 of a salvaged FGT your wife will not be happy.

How about 1/3!!