All Signs Point to a New Ford GT

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I figured DBK would have crapped all over this by now

But he hasn't.......

This is all very exciting news. Ford has been batting around a 2016 LeMans entry for some time. What class and car are the remaining questions. With the Mustang now being sold worldwide, and available with what I hope will be a very Italian like engine, this is a perfect opportunity for Ford to expand the performance brand.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
You need to listen to Mark Field's report to the Investors Circle two days ago...things are going to get tough
ajb (andy)

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I wish they would use a different body style--then they can do whatever thay want far as I'm concerned,

I think Ford is rightfully done with the overly-retro theme. Time for fresh ideas. The Huracan, Jaguar Type F, et al. have proven that no decade has a monopoly on good design. The GT40 was groundbreaking when it debuted. There is no reason why Ford can't come up with a new icon. While there is no escaping the fact that any new Ford super car will have myriad safety systems, as long as Ford gives us a manual option, I'll be happy.

It sure is fun to speculate about all this.

Last edited:

RaceDeck

*Supporting Vendor & GT Owner*
Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
I would be surprised it they make another FGT that was anything like ours. The one huge hurdle are the new GOV DOT mandates for safety and other. The GT door, design and structure will not pass current gov safety standards along with a few other items. With that said, it would be a cool car I am sure but not a GT40 or a FGT

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Don't we have one of these threads about everyone 6-8 months? Would we all love it YES...is it likely to happen? Doubtful..oh well...

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Ok, think about it this way...., if ford announces a new car, you will have the few people with multiple cars that will dump their "Extras" to free up money for the new car. This will possibly increase the amount of cars for sale that will in turn possibly decrease the current trading rate. It would be a very short term decline in my opinion if all this is true. I can tell you this, because of the current laws, etc, a new GT would be NOTHING like the GT we are talking about now. IF (and the big word is "IF") a new car is introduced, it would be such a drastic change over the old one that (IMHO) it would have little long term effect on the new car and the people who are attracted to it. Take the current line up of Ferrari Super cars for example...., they just came out with the new "LA FERRARI". Did it hurt the sales of the F40, F50, Enzo??? Hell no!! If anything those cars have gone through the roof. Whats going on with the current Ford GT is not isolated to Ford GTs. THE ENTIRE COLLECTOR CAR MARKET IS THROUGH THE ROOF!!! Not just GTs. Air cooled porsches, stick shift late model porsches, Any version of the older collectable Ferraris, Lamborghinis, etc..., all through the roof! Stock market investors have had enough with the stock market. There is no way to predict what its going to do and atleast with a car you have an item that will not just vanish into thin air over night.

Anyone that thinks the 2005 - 2006 Ford GT market is doomed because of a new car possibly coming out is wrong. Could it slow down or temporarily stop the current incline? I would say possibly, but it would be short lived in my opinion and could possibly turn even more interest to the current Ford GT. Look at how many collectors out there have all the cars in their collection from each era. Why would the GT be any different? Long Term, its a great car to own. If you're a Day Trader, then your guess is as good as mine....

I'll just to go ahead and say it since I am sure others that dislike what I do for a living will....

"OH NO, the new car is going to KILL the old car! All you guys should sell your cars to me really quick for little money so I can sell for a huge profit"

and the other side of the argument

"Guys, I have to protect my current inventory. The cars are stable as a rock and will never drop a dollar in value"

Ok, I think I have covered all the angles that someone could say of my response having ulterior motives.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Nope--you didn't cover them all--how about using some F-ing paragraphs. I had to fight my way through that diatribe.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Nope--you didn't cover them all--how about using some F-ing paragraphs. I had to fight my way through that diatribe.

I am a used car salesman. You know I can barely read or write, correct?

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Unlike Ferrari, Ford does not have a legacy of supercars, so I am not sure I buy that comparison.

Right now--8 years after the fact, we still own the premier Ford sports car of all time. That could change and the effect will depend on how much it looks like the current car and what it is called.

Personally, I think it would be an awful mistake to replicate the GT body. It will be nannied up and paddled so that likely helps us.

The biggest issue will be production. If they make just enough to call it a production car and not a multi year Ford GT that may actaully help us. If not, I think it could be a significant drag.

In any event, so much for all the folks who said the 05-06 GT was an anomoly that will never happen again. I sense this one is coming...

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia

I know better than that

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Having said all that the revised T-Birds sold like sh%t and the old ones are going up.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
We can speculate till we are all blue in the face. This mag article is no different than any other one that's been released in the past 8 years. Until there is a new car rolled out at an auto show somewhere along the line, this is all just speculation. End of story.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
For Ford's sake and the advancement of the automobile art, I hope they come out with a new super car that makes the Ford GT seem like a underpowered pile of dung designed by three blind mice. This would take nothing away from the GT, but would reflect the goodness of the new car. The fascination with preserving the "value" of the GT, which results in lamenting the coming of something better, escapes me.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
I bought my GT not as an investment but something I always wanted and was in a position to buy. The fact it has increased significantly in the three years owned is a nice surprise and makes me look real smart for the now. If the price remains the same, the bottom drops out, or continues to rapidly increase will have no effect on the majority of owners on this forum. Most everyone I've meant over these 3 years are car "nuts" not investors.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I bought my GT not as an investment but something I always wanted and was in a position to buy. The fact it has increased significantly in the three years owned is a nice surprise and makes me look real smart for the now. If the price remains the same, the bottom drops out, or continues to rapidly increase will have no effect on the majority of owners on this forum. Most everyone I've meant over these 3 years are car "nuts" not investors.

Amen to that. The only benefit I see to the rapid rise of GT values is that I will be able to use that fact to con my wife into getting another expensive toy. Honey, lightning is sure to strike twice.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I wish they would use a different body style--then they can do whatever thay want far as I'm concerned,

Amen!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
You need to listen to Mark Field's report to the Investors Circle two days ago...things are going to get tough
ajb (andy)

Amen!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I heard Mark is bring a prototype to the rally!

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington

+1

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
No matter what, we know Ford can't build an improved version of the car we have, period. It wouldn't pass crash requirements, it would have federally mandated traction and stability control. Six speed manual transmissions although fun to drive wouldn't be competitive and the 5.4 and 5.8 supercharged mod motors have been ditched. So it would most likely have to be a completely different engine ie; the flat plain NA V8 or possibly the Eco V6TT? A completely different car. As someone already posted, the 918 hasn't hurt the Carrera GT, the P1 hasn't hurt the F1 and F 40 prices are as strong as ever. I hope they build it and I can afford it.:thumbsup