Air bag canisters replaced today

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Yea, I know them and they do a great job, but I doubt that they can do a factory recall.
Best,
Mark

Correct, factory recall must be done by an authorized dealer!

oceanside gt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Oceanside, CA
Had the passanger air bag inflator completed this week by Rob at Escondido Ford.
Rob is a GT certified technician and the only staff member authorized to drive a GT at the dealership.
Mine was the fourth install Rob has completed on the passanger side. He completed my drivers side last year.
Escondido Ford is in the inland northern portion of San Diego County.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

fordgt6

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 19, 2009
East Lake Weir, FL
Air bag replacement

My passenger side air bag was switched out today. It was authorized and performed at my house. The tech Brian did an excellent job. Blue painters tape was strategically placed. Everything went smoothly. Brian loves to work on cars. He also did the recalls on my 2008 Shelby GT 500. He works at Village Ford in Belleview Florida. They were very helpful with scheduling arrangements.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Had both done last week.... the dealership that was coming to house never worked a FGT. Was a good day for a drive to prefer dealership for the work.

Now I can shred the recall notices, all 1/2” stack and throw away all the weekly class action requests

guywwagner

GT Owner
Sep 22, 2005
Nazareth,Pa
Had a tech come out today to do the passenger side on my 06 MGT and my 05FGT.
Had him start on the MGT and when I checked his progress I was greeted by pry marks
all over the lower dash.
Needless to say he never got to touch the FGT.
Back to square one.

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
Had him start on the MGT and when I checked his progress I was greeted by pry marks
all over the lower dash.
Back to square one.

Wow. You would think the tech would be super careful doing the procedure in your garage... guess not

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
all over the lower dash.
Back to square one.

I was concerned about the same thing, so before I bought the car into the dealership I took off lower panel.

guywwagner

GT Owner
Sep 22, 2005
Nazareth,Pa
The tech they sent was a joke.
He was in over his head just with the Mustang.
Totally unprepared was his story.
The pathetic part is that 50 cents worth of
masking tape would have prevented the damage.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
The
1-800-436-7332 # on our letters...
Is a joke and goes to Manila.

Anyone have a domestic contact to (even) speak to ,..to get this taken care of?
I think you all know what I’m saying.
Ford has screwed this up.

And my local dealers have never done the repair....

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Blue painters tape was strategically placed. Everything went smoothly.

I keep reading things like this and seeing the pictures.

I had no such luck. I now have a scratch on the dash panel by the right vent and a divot in the right door sill plate where it looks like something was dropped.
Waiting to hear back from the dealership about what they plan to do about it.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
The
1-800-436-7332 # on our letters...
Is a joke and goes to Manila.

Anyone have a domestic contact to (even) speak to ,..to get this taken care of?
I think you all know what I’m saying.
Ford has screwed this up.

And my local dealers have never done the repair....

My suggestion is to work with your local dealer and forget about the overseas number, present him with the data I included in post no.:1 in this thread (Ford house call program number) and hopefully he'll coordinate something to your liking. You may need to remove/install the lower dash panel yourself (simple task, just needs patience and 2 people) and remover/install the metal bracket behind it (passenger side), and blue tape all the surroundings prior to start. The tech can do the swap and you can install everything back at your leisure at home. I get it, none of us should have to go thru that trouble but good service after the sale is a hit and miss event unfortunately.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Thnx Bro.
That might be the only way to go on this.

guywwagner

GT Owner
Sep 22, 2005
Nazareth,Pa
Closest local dealer coming tomorrow but they only send 1 tech so I’ll “help” him.
He’s done 4 already and is the dealership QAO.
Hopefully it all works out.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
The tricky part is when you "un-connect" either side of the lower dash, careful attention shall be made to the part over the radio (the thinnest part), one person would need to support the disconnected section so the panel remain as straight/lined up as possible with the connected side while the other person disconnect the clips on the other side. Also, pull back just enough (don't remove) on the weather strip on the passenger side next to the dash panel to facilitate removal. Good luck!
PS: I suggest heavy use of blue tape before the tech arrives including around the steering column screw holes, and make sure not to break the plastic cover when you attempt to remove it to access the holding screws, they're expensive to replace!!!

guywwagner

GT Owner
Sep 22, 2005
Nazareth,Pa
Got the PS airbag done this morning.
Koch Ford Easton,Pa.sent a great tech, Stu to do it.
All complete no problems and a job well done.
Thank You Stu!

lewishou

GT Owner
Feb 27, 2007
Atherton, CA
I was concerned about the same thing, so before I bought the car into the dealership I took off lower panel.

BlackICE,

Can you let me know which dealer in Bay Area you went to for the airbag recall, and if the work was satisfactory? Thanks.

Lewis