After Oil Change Engine Starts under priming mode????

dandaman

GT Owner
Apr 8, 2007
Tyler, Tx
I was wondering if any had this this problem after doing an oil change? I changed the oil and filter in my GT and according to the manual, you should depress the gas pedal all the way and push the start button. This will not allow the engine to start so that the engine could prime itself. The manual said you should do this for about 20 seconds or so. The problem came as I depressed the gas pedal all the way down to prime the engine after my oil change, the engine started. I could not prime the engine without it starting unlike the manual said. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how was it fixed?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
It worked for me. If you have a data logging tool like SCT or Diablo, you should scan the throttle position counts, while you depress the gas pedal. The range that I get is about 190 to 950. Your numbers will vary but not more than 10%. If for some reason you are not getting more than 900 at WOT that could be the problem. Maybe a loose throttle cable?

Last edited:

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Mine did the same thing. It's the sequence you must follow exactly to get it not to start...

Can't remember it for sure right now, but I think it's like this:

turn key to ON.

gas pedal to WOT.

push start to prime oil system.

NOT " floor gas pedal, turn key on, push start"

I had to try it a few times to get it right... damn, now I knew I should have written it down somewhere.

mardyn

edit to correct sequence.

Last edited:

dandaman

GT Owner
Apr 8, 2007
Tyler, Tx
That might have been the problem. I'll try exact sequence tomorrow. I bet it will work now. Thanks for all the help! That is one great thing about this forum, everyone is willing to help!
Dan

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
lol...cobrar correctumundo...IT'S THE DIRECTIONS STUPID :lol Heineken moment...TURN IGNITION ON..DEPRESS THROTTLE...CRANK :thumbsup

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Turn on the ignition first than hold the gas pedal to the floor...

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Stormcat and OC pete have it right. Here is what I have in my notebook.

1.Turn the key to the on position.
2. Hold the accelerator pedal on the floor.
3. Push the start button.
4. Let it crank until you see oil pressure via the gauge in the dash.
Upon seeing pressure, let up on the start button, BEFORE you let up on the pedal.

5.Release the pedal and then start normally.

I deleted my prior post so as not to confuse anyone. Thanks guys for the double check. Pete I wasn't drinking yet, but am now:cheers

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Thanks for the correct procedure. I would add if you have a battery charger with a high currect setting used to assist the battery during starting, I would use it. Running the starter for up to 30 seconds doesn't help battery life.

Last edited:

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
My car did the same thing. I will have to try this sequence, it is possible I floored the accerator pedal before turning the key on. PD

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
cobrar...exactly EXCEPT step 3 should be;

3. CRACK OPEN A COLD HEINEKEN AND RELAX :cheers
4. Push the start button.
5. Let it crank until you see oil pressure via the gauge in the dash.
:thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
cobrar...exactly EXCEPT step 3 should be;

3. CRACK OPEN A COLD HEINEKEN AND RELAX :cheers
4. Push the start button.
5. Let it crank until you see oil pressure via the gauge in the dash.
:thumbsup

Moderators Note:
OK TO SUBSTITUTE MAKERS MARK MANHATTAN, LEVEL VODKA OR PLYMOUTH GIN FOR THE LITTLE GREEN BOTTLE:lol:thumbsup:lol

gt40man

GT owner
Aug 27, 2007
oil pressure priming technique

wouldnt it be a good idea to prime the engine with oil pressure if the engine has sat without starting for 90 days or so? in other words the first spring start up after a long cold winter?

Aug 25, 2006
wouldnt it be a good idea to prime the engine with oil pressure if the engine has sat without starting for 90 days or so? in other words the first spring start up after a long cold winter?

Now this certainly would not hurt; in fact likely a great idea so much that it is now on my radar.

I would add that when priming the gals particularly after an oil service only spin the starter for 10 seconds or so and then turn the key off wait a few seconds and then repeat this process until oil pressure is present on the gauge. You do not want to simply crank and crank as the process can take some time and you do not want to burn up the starter.

Takes care

Shadowman

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
Agreed Senior William...

Don't let yourself sit there cranking away waiting for your pressure gauge to budge while you have a cardiac arrest as your starter whines into oblivion..

1) Ignition on
2) Pedal to da metal
3) Crack open a Cold one and relax, (Only two types of crack allowed in da cab :biggrin)
4) Start for 10 seconds or so....RELAX Mikey...
5) Do it again. If your gauge still doesn't budge..START THE MOFO AND IF YOU HAVE NO PRESSURE IMMEDIATELY..THEN YOU SCREWED SOMETHING UP.. SHUT DOWN :cheers

gt40man

GT owner
Aug 27, 2007
thanks for confirmation. its good to have such great access to commonsense mechanical knowledge. i do think priming after engine sits for the winter should be a standard practice.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
A GT friend had is engine start while performing the throttle-down, oil prime procedure (no harm done...but pretty scary). Has this happened to anyone else or can we assume that the throttle was not fully depressed? I agree that it sounds like a good idea for a spring start-up.

Howard

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
I bet it was loud!!

A GT friend had is engine start while performing the throttle-down, oil prime procedure (no harm done...but pretty scary). Has this happened to anyone else or can we assume that the throttle was not fully depressed? I agree that it sounds like a good idea for a spring start-up.

Howard

No it was probably not the pedal being half depressed, it was the key not being turned on,. and then depressing pedal.

Following directions off of paper is a rare talent.

Aug 25, 2006
No it was probably not the pedal being half depressed, it was the key not being turned on,. and then depressing pedal.

Following directions off of paper is a rare talent.

Perfect

I too have had folks experice the situation however it was always because they press the pedal and then turn the key on.

You MUST turn the key on and then press the pedal completely to the floor and all should work as designed

Takes care

Shadowman

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
thanks for confirmation. its good to have such great access to commonsense mechanical knowledge. i do think priming after engine sits for the winter should be a standard practice.

Hello,
Are you a GT owner, if so, register above, send me a PM and I will change your status. Also consider subscribing and supporting this joint:lol:thumbsup:lol
Cheers,
daniel

gt40man

GT owner
Aug 27, 2007
i did register, i do have a ford gt, but cant properly complete registration without vin # and the car is currently stored up north while i am in florida. the PM function is not yet activated for me.