Adding a trailer hitch

BH1

GT Owner
Oct 5, 2006
I need to put a trailer hitch on the new GT for pulling the jet skis or the ski boat and it looks like I am going to have to cut the diffusers and some of the belly pan out. Will the lack of diffusers affect the handling??? The hitch place said that he could try to drill the bumper and moiunt it there but I am afraid that it will not withstand the strain. Any ideas????

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Try a 8" lift, some BFGoodrich All terrains then a drop hitch could be welded to the bumper supports.

Your fool'n us right????????????

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
SteveA said:
Try a 8" lift, some BFGoodrich All terrains then a drop hitch could be welded to the bumper supports.

Your fool'n us right????????????

Actually Steve, if you go here - http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3051&highlight=sounds

or directly here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qCvbsHAHDc

you willl see the 4th car, BaronDW's car, (Bob Ida exhaust), has a trailer attached to his car! It's the darndest thing!

Last edited:

BH1

GT Owner
Oct 5, 2006
I was just checkin to see if you guys were awake...... I didnt think somebody actually attached a trailer to a GT!!! Jokes on me I guess.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Baron's car is quite the ticket with the trailer. Not only does he have room for a full set of wheels and tires, there's more room for storage. It's painted to exactly match his GT. Dave, where are you to comment on this!

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
BH1 said:
I was just checkin to see if you guys were awake...... I didnt think somebody actually attached a trailer to a GT!!! Jokes on me I guess.

You had me going there. I thought you might be in the clutch repair business.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
BH1 said:

LOL!

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Red Rocket said:
Actually Steve, if you go here - http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3051&highlight=sounds

or directly here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qCvbsHAHDc

you willl see the 4th car, BaronDW's car, (Bob Ida exhaust), has a trailer attached to his car! It's the darndest thing!

Red, I did see those photos. Hmmmmm..... it is very unique and fun to look at however I'm leaning towards putting mine on a trailer if there becomes a space issue on a trip.

jaybnve

GT Owner
Oct 11, 2006
Rogers, MN
This thread just tickles me! I've been on both sides of the trailer issue, and I must confess that the idea of pulling a trailer with my GT has a certain appeal (believe it or not :lol ). I've gone through this already with my 69 Mach 1, because I wanted to take it on a racing event where riding on trailers was strictly prohibited. I couldn't fit the race tires in the car along with tools and a suitcase, so I was forced to put a trailer hitch on my classic Mustang and pull a small trailer!

mach1tr.jpg

At first, the idea of adding a trailer hitch to the car was repulsive :ack , but I found I was able to build the hitch so that it was concealed behind the license plate, and therefore not visible when I didn't need to be pulling the trailer. And, believe it or not, I actually discovered that I liked pulling the trailer! It was fun driving the car everywhere, as opposed to driving a truck that pulled the car on a car trailer. Plus, I didn't have to unload the car from the trailer at the track; I just unhitched the trailer that I pulled, jacked up the car and swapped on the race tires, and I was ready to race.

So, count me as a trailer convert :rofl ! I think if someone would come up with a swoopy looking fiberglass trailer that I could paint in the same color scheme as my GT, and I could figure out a way to hide the hitch on the car, I might actually pull a trailer with my GT too!

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I have a hitch on my 68' Convert. GTO and did pull a small drag boat with it. LOL!
Just don't think I could talk myself into doing to back end of the GT what it takes to attach a hitch.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
For a light trailer I think it would be possible to remove the rear bumper and construct a towing rig to connect to the 8 bolts holes that held the bumper on.

BlackICE

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
BlackICE said:
For a light trailer I think it would be possible to remove the rear bumper and construct a towing rig to connect to the 8 bolts holes that held the bumper on.

BlackICE

Mine is done with the bumper on. The idea was to bring track tires for doing track days and have space for the jack, which is mounted below the trailer bed in its own compartment, and also have a storage box.

BTW there is no, repeat no, rear vision because the height of the tires and storgae box block the window. It is currently being modified, meaning lowered, to restore rear vision back to the stock version. As you all know there is little vision in the stock version to begin with.

We place the tires in a stack vertically instead of horizontally because the profile is lower. This required extensive modifications to the existing trailer.

Yes it attracts attention wherever one goes with the trailer as I guess the Mach 1 does also.

Dave

Last edited:

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Jay wrote, "So, count me as a trailer convert. I think if someone would come up with a swoopy looking fiberglass trailer that I could paint in the same color scheme as my GT, and I could figure out a way to hide the hitch on the car, I might actually pull a trailer with my GT too!"

At first I thought this was kinda crazy and I am opposed to putting a hitch on the GT if it can't be removed with undetectable harm to the car. BUT, there is a lot of appeal to having storage for a trip, esp. if you want to drive to a tuner shop and come back with the OEM parts that you replaced at the shop!

Maybe someone could design a trailer that had the appearance of the back half of the GT?? I might consider that. If that would be too small for tires and wheels then just make something aerodynamic. Make sure it is flameproof though for those of us who plan on engine mods that will shoot blue flames like Joe's or Torrie's TT cars!

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Red Rocket

The trailer hitch is rarely noticed by anyone. It sits below the exhaust, is black in color and is unobtrusive.

Dave

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Hey Dave, Happy Belayed Birthday! ;

and -

please post some pics of the hitch etc. when you can

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Red Rocket

They have been posted to the photo gallery. There are 3 close-ups of the hitch and one of the trailer and car as seen in Detroit.

Dave

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I looked at it carefully @ the rally, it was really well done.

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Why be the tow-eee when you can be the tow-errr!

Way to go Dave.
http://www.fordgtforum.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=42
http://www.fordgtforum.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1537&limit=recent

Put your race slicks, floor jack and tool box in back and drive out to your next event in style.
Plenty of room because after all the only real “tool” you ever need is the indispensable one called a cell phone.
I’m sure that beauty of yours gets all the looks whenever you go.

Heck it even makes a great luggage caddy when going on a long haul with your better half.
You know they rarely pack light. Most men have their cars but most women have their shoes.