ACS Composite Wiper Delete Hood

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Here's a new option for those of you that want a spare hood, need a new one to replace a damaged one, or just like the way this looks. The company that produced the OEM hood for Ford during much of the original run is producing a version of the hood that eliminates the wiper notch. It looks good and I know a lot of guys run wiperless anyways. Not an option for those of us that drive rain or shine, but I'd say we're in the minority.

Here are some shots of an unpainted unit:

acs1.jpg

acs2.jpg

acs3.jpg

acs4.jpg

acs5.jpg

acs6.jpg

acs7.jpg

Some info on the original hood:

History and Production

ACS (Advanced Composite Specialties) is a hood manufacturer building hoods for some of the greatest American sports cars including Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs and of course Ford’s Centennial Ford GT. The Camillo Pardo design was presented in 2002 as a prototype to celebrate Ford’s upcoming 100th anniversary… public reaction was phenomenal and to everyone’s surprise it was launched into production in 2004. Ford worked with SSV (Saleen Specialty Vehicles) and Roush in order to create the niche vehicle. The program showcased Ford’s ingenuity and engineering capability.

As production neared Ford was searching for suppliers to build components for the company’s new Pace car. The hood design being very intricate limited the manufacturing possibilities. As the launch date approached they selected to have the hood made in hand lamination. A series of molds were made and production was kicked off.

In 2005 ACS meets the Ford GT team at SSV. Visiting the Ford GT plant was one of the most breathtaking experiences to date. Walking into a warehouse and seeing hundreds of completed Ford GT’s all waiting for its last component, the front hood, was overwhelming. With over a dozen molds and a huge staff prepping and sanding hood panels the mountain seemed too high to climb. A class A panel needs to be perfect; painting, baking, stripping, paint buffing are all labor intensive procedures. The slightest imperfection in a panel will breakthrough and cost the plant thousands of dollars and most importantly keep another Ford GT owner waiting for his life long dream.

Most aftermarket hood panels are hand laminated, the traditional and simplest of composite process. Corvettes were originally built this way and still today almost all aftermarket panels are either hand laminated or infused. The process uses an open female mold and gel coat is sprayed on. Once cured a layer of fiberglass mat is layed or chopped on. Liquid catalyzed resin is applied to soak the fiberglass. The labor intensive process requires a technician to remove any air pockets and manage the part thickness by properly distributing the glass in the mold. A slightly more sophisticated approach is to vacuum infuse the resin. Once completed the part is cured at room temperature. Once produced both parts will cosmetically look great, the quality of the composition itself is dependent on the technician’s ability.

Assembly and preparation; a good fitting hood needs to match the fenders. Proper arc and adequate stack height are critical. In order to do this, hand laminated or infused parts need to be verified for part thickness. If parts are too thick they need to be sanded and matched up. The assembly will then be sanded, primed and prepared for paint. With a gel coated part it is near impossible to inspect underneath. Small air pockets may be present, during bake or exposure to extreme heat like on a hot summer day, the air pocket will expands and cause a blister. On a production line, the deficiency is very costly, part will need to be returned to the body shop for inspection and if possible rework and repaint.

After establishing some critical specifications for ACS’s new Ford GT Hood, a timeline was set to deliver a first article matching the engineer’s specification with a 6 week tooling and testing period. The Ford GT Hood is ACS’s most complex part, weighing only 18 lbs and requiring a glass content of 40%. ACS’s proprietary RTM process was a perfect match for the GT’s requirements.

At the end of the production run, ACS delivered and ramped up production to 64 hoods a week with only one set of molds, reducing the assembly’s plant fall out rate by 80%, drastically reducing the overall cost of the hood, and most importantly improved the quality of an American Legend. Today all of ACS’s hoods are built following the exact procedures proven on the Ford’s GT and of course the 4th gen Camaro SS.

and the info on the new wiperless one:

New ACS Ford GT WD (Wiper Delete) Hood (2009)

The centennial Ford GT prototype was a design marvel. It proved Ford can build a world class supercar honoring the original… The original design was kept, but like any concept car some modifications are needed in order to comply with safety regulations. Most noticeably on the GT is the rear bumper and the addition of wipers.

Car collector and enthusiast take pride in their vehicles and enjoy the possibility of personalizing their vehicles. After many request ACS is addressing Ford GT owners with a true passenger side wiper delete hood. ACS’s GT WD hood is built the exact same way as the original using the same materials and specifications; of course the wiper arm notch has been eliminated for a smooth clean look. Owners will appreciate the added visibility on the track and collectors will pride in restoring the car the way Ford designers intended.

These are available from ACS for $3995. If you want one contact Joseph Taverna at ACS. His email is jtaverna@acscomposite.com . Let us know if you order one and how you like it.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nice. :thumbsup

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
So then I assume they are still made out of fiberglass like the originals. May have said it in the ad, but I missed it.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
On their site it says same exact materials and specs except the lack of a notch.

Pantera1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 12, 2008
Iowa
On their site it says same exact materials and specs except the lack of a notch.

I bought one from this guy a few months ago. It isn't the wiper delete, just a replacement hood. They even engrave their serial number in the same place as the original I noticed.
Thanks for the additional info/history ! Very interesting !! :thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
MODERATORS NOTE
============
I have deleted 16 posts. 6 of them belonging to the forum owner... So before he finds out what I did and bans my ass, allow me to get this thread on the correct track.

This thread was the victim of a total hijacking and driven off track. I am at fault for letting it go as far as it did.

ACS was one of FGT suppliers. It is imperative that we keep these sources alive. We can debate over Makers Mark Manhattans Carbon Fiber versus other materials... however when it comes down to the final decision most owners will want to retain the stock panels.

What makes our forum special is that DBK has amazing contacts with FMC and the folks that supplied many of these parts.

We don't want to chase away these sources. Times are tough out there.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

God Bless America,
Bony
moderator and owner of CF front hood

Pantera1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 12, 2008
Iowa
Good work BONY !!

Pantera1
member and owner of a ACS front hood !

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Bony! :thumbsup

Back on the topic, am I correct to assume if one wanted a hood with the wiper cutout that is also available?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I'm sorry we got headed down the wrong path . It's great to see OEM vendors build custom parts for the GT. Do they have any other parts in the works?