Accufab Throttle Body

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
The advertized HP gain is rather small for this $600 device. I see it on Whipples. Is it better for a pullied engine? Does anyone have any performance data from dyno runs with and without?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
It doesn't perform any worst and it look right with the polished Whipple. IMHO the OEM piece look sub-par in comparison. If we all did a price performance comparision we probably would be driving all be driving Z06.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I agree, it is more of a bling piece. My stock throttle body had some bad mineral stains on it and $600 is relatively inexpensive for a piece that sits directly under the glass. I don't think there are any notable performance gains.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Accufab

Gentlemen,

The benefit of this piece is marginal with a stock engine. Utilizing a smaller pulley with higher boost levels or with a Whipple supercharger, it becomes more beneficial as a decrease in inlet restriction becomes more important. Unlike the huge monoblade throttle bodies that turn your gas pedal into an on/off switch, the Accufab throttle body offers less intake restriction with smooth and linear throttle response. I would only spend the money to purchase one if I was using it in combination with several other performance enhancements.

Chip

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I have pulley, tune, exhaust. Notice a drop in boost over 5000 RPM as HP starts to peak toward 6500 RPM. I figure I'm sucking a vacuum on the air cleaner and you can't compress a vacuum. I just would like some scientifc data that says the Accufab will help restore some of the boost or not. I don't care about bling.
I put the stiffener in the coupler and I'm a little concerned that it reduces the cross section a little too.

H

HHGT

I have pulley, tune, exhaust. Notice a drop in boost over 5000 RPM as HP starts to peak toward 6500 RPM. I figure I'm sucking a vacuum on the air cleaner and you can't compress a vacuum. I just would like some scientifc data that says the Accufab will help restore some of the boost or not. I don't care about bling.
I put the stiffener in the coupler and I'm a little concerned that it reduces the cross section a little too.

2 Years ago, I specifically spoke to John from Accufab about this issue. He confirmed that at high RPMs is when the TB becomes effective but not enough for the average person to notice. He also stated that the track is where it will pay for itself.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I just would like some scientifc data that says the Accufab will help restore some of the boost or not. I don't care about bling. Spot on!
I put the stiffener in the coupler and I'm a little concerned that it reduces the cross section a little too. I went with the power rings for that very reason.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Power rings vs. Accufab stiffener, which is better?

The Power rings don't reduce the cross sectional area but don't do anything for smoothing out the airflow path. The Accufab stiffener smooth out the path, but at the expense of reduction cross sectional area.

If I was a betting man I would guess that the Accufab will flow more, because the turbulance of the bellow ridges rob more flow than a smaller, but smoother passage. But in the real world I bet the differences are so small that it would be hard to prove on dyno. I relatively simply test would be to do a SCT Linelink datalog of MAF counts vs. RPM under the same condition (hard to do) and compare which product gives higher MAF counts.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
It may not mean squat.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Gentlemen,

The benefit of this piece is marginal with a stock engine. Utilizing a smaller pulley with higher boost levels or with a Whipple supercharger, it becomes more beneficial as a decrease in inlet restriction becomes more important. Unlike the huge monoblade throttle bodies that turn your gas pedal into an on/off switch, the Accufab throttle body offers less intake restriction with smooth and linear throttle response. I would only spend the money to purchase one if I was using it in combination with several other performance enhancements.

Chip

That is my understanding.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Heffner warned me when I did my Whipple that the Accufab throttle body would only add a couple of horses and was mainly for looks. I still bought it since the stock one looked like crap with the polished Whipple. No regrets.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Don't you guys watchTV commercials? You want turbulence in your airpath to create a vortex. Ha, ha, ha, ha. The idea here is for the inlet not to collapse, not much else.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Heffner warned me when I did my Whipple that the Accufab throttle body would only add a couple of horses and was mainly for looks. I still bought it since the stock one looked like crap with the polished Whipple. No regrets.

+1

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
it's all about the matching blings

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
The system will never approach laminar flow - it is in turbulant flow throughout.

Aug 25, 2006
The system will never approach laminar flow - it is in turbulant flow throughout.

RALPHIE

On this you are correct; I share the following only as a means to simplify to all your comment.

"For a practical demonstration of laminar and non-laminar flow, one can observe the smoke rising off a cigarette in a place where there is no breeze. The smoke from the cigarette will rise vertically and smoothly for some distance (laminar flow) and then will transition and start undulating into a turbulent, non-laminar flow"

Now as for my feelings regarding the AccuFab throttle body; as has been stated the measurable difference when used by most will be nil at best however IMO it not only looks much better; in fact stunning (which some understandably could careless), operates much nicer, and IMO is better constructed too.

So; is the AccuFab throttle body worth the cost of admission? This question can only be answered by the person considering the exchange of value for it and yet this I will share the following; the OEM throttle body cannot be cleaned, period. No carburetor cleaners or solvents of any kind are to be used on it and then add to this when the day comes that a new one is needed the current cost to enter this arena is $737 USD retail.

Takes care

Shadowman

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Well, that's a different angle.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Shadowman all that is so true and being I have a machine shop and understand material/machining cost the Accufab unit if one were to go by appearance looks like it should cost at least twice as much !

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Just buy it... it's only money.