Ac compressor

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
My GT's ac stopped blowing cold a while back so after some investigating I found the compressor to be leaking the other day and replaced it with the extra one from my garage table, vacuumed and recharged the system and it seems to be working fine and holding pressure now ! This after a few attempt to get a shop to look at the system to see what's going on with no luck so I just bought everything I needed to do the job myself ! Anyway for those who may be interested I opened up the old compressor to see if it can be rebuilt and it seems straight forward enough there is a large o ring on the main body and two thin metal gaskets the union between the two main bodies was in fact where mine was leaking as seen on the pics (w ultraviolet light and dye) I had my friend look up parts and of course there Is no way u can get the O ring or the thin gaskets from ford I was wondering if anyone knew the supplier or if these could be found anywhere I hate to throw an otherwise good compressor out !

7ec2afb58344fc97db97b2f86ce18890.jpg

3bc704acb469625e5dc9ac55c7066c09.jpg

54b27bdf5cc880ec39f1923ae370bc77.jpg

a30555f93c028b665f6b7fadece0b4bc.jpg

d189e2ff76298623552989a8d8bd53ad.jpg

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I wouldn't throw it out. Some day that will be worth a small fortune when they are not available. Someone should be able to fix it. Not really important until new ones are no longer available. Just a thought.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Thanks so much soroush for this report. So far my lack of cooling was resolved by a blast of refrigerant. Now I have an idea if I have to go deeper.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Thanks so much soroush for this report. So far my lack of cooling was resolved by a blast of refrigerant. Now I have an idea if I have to go deeper.

you're welcome, remember ford ships out the cars right out of the factory with dye in the ac system, if you have any suspicion just buy yourself a 20 dollar uv flashlight and start looking around all the lines and compressor if you have a small leak it should show up and it might be easier to address than waiting until it gets worse

Last edited:

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
you're welcome, remember ford ships out the cars right out of the factory with dye in the ac system, if you have any suspicion just buy yourself a 20 dollar uv flashlight and start looking around all the lines and compressor if you have a small leak it should show up and it might be easier to address than waiting until it gets worse

Great info.. Thanks:thumbsup

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
My GT's AC was blowing cool, not cold. UV light showed the Schrader valve charge ports were leaking. Corrosion in the valve cores.

New valves, evac/recharge and it blows ice cold. For the first time, I have to turn the temp control clockwise because it gets too cold.

My tech said the GT does not hold much refrigerant. Even a small loss will cause a big drop in performance.

Valve assembly part numbers: F7RZ 19D701 BA; 4L3Z 19D701 A.

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
my compressor (2006 model) started to leak at about 5000 miles and Ford replaced it under warranty, but I was very surprised that an ac compressor would fail like this with so few miles of operation.

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
When mine went out, if I'm not mistaken it shares the same compressor as a f150 or lightning and it was pretty cheap, no?

svtowner

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 2, 2006
Pretty sure compressor was supplied by Visteon - Climate Control Division.

Rock Auto carries Motorcraft compressors $370

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ompressor,6628?a=Referer+www.google.com+URL+/

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I think Vintage Air in San Antonio provided the system. A cousin of the owner is a friend of mine and he is at COTA today. I'll ask him.

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
I've got 4500 miles on my FGT. Good to know just in case.

Thanks Soroush

lc2006

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 10, 2011
Centreville, Delaware
Has anyone found a source for the "O" rings, gaskets, etc. necessary to rebuild the '05-'06 A/C compressor? As I believe has been stated previously, no rebuild kit is available from FoMoCo. Thanks.

fecarman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 18, 2007
Has anyone found a source for the "O" rings, gaskets, etc. necessary to rebuild the '05-'06 A/C compressor? As I believe has been stated previously, no rebuild kit is available from FoMoCo. Thanks.

You might try Vintage Air. They supplied the original units to Ford. The air on my 2005 GT went out last year with 8000 miles on car. I bought a new pump and saved the old pump for posterity. The pump was around a grand.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
If it's just the O-rings, they are $1.57 for 6. You need 2.

Complete compressor assembly is <$400.

FireShot Capture 020 - Air Conditioning Condenser_Compressor_ - https___www.fordpartsgiant.com_p.jpg

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
always be cautious on what you're buying when purchasing an A/C compressor. some will say just the compressor. other descriptions are what's called a "loaded" compressor which means you get the compressor, new clutch and new pulley. others will just sell you a bare replacement compressor only. jmo

lc2006

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 10, 2011
Centreville, Delaware
Thanks for the responses.

My compressor went out about five years ago. I asked the dealer to get me a rebuild kit, but they said that no such thing was available. I reluctantly bought a new replacement... can't recall what it cost, but it was somewhere near $1,000. I have the old compressor sitting on a shelf. I would like to rebuild it; just to have it ready to go when my current compressor inevitably fails.

I don't know whether it helps with longevity, but I try to run the compressor every few times that I drive the car -- even during the cold winter months.

fecarman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 18, 2007
Thanks for the responses.

My compressor went out about five years ago. I asked the dealer to get me a rebuild kit, but they said that no such thing was available. I reluctantly bought a new replacement... can't recall what it cost, but it was somewhere near $1,000. I have the old compressor sitting on a shelf. I would like to rebuild it; just to have it ready to go when my current compressor inevitably fails.

I don't know whether it helps with longevity, but I try to run the compressor every few times that I drive the car -- even during the cold winter months.

Your experience and mine were the same. I am going to contact Vintage Air and see if they will rebuild the old pump only because the pump was born with the car.

NJF

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Xcentric who works on your GT? I am new to Bonita Springs and looking to have my GT AC worked on. Thanks

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
my compressor (2006 model) started to leak at about 5000 miles and Ford replaced it under warranty, but I was very surprised that an ac compressor would fail like this with so few miles of operation.

Mine failed with two weeks left on the warranty!