a/c not blowing cold

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
The a/c in my car is not blowing cold. The a/c button lights up when depressed, all the controls seem to work, but the temperature of the air that's coming from the vents is ambient temp.

Is this a known issue? Probably not enough or no 1234yf? Any troubleshoots?

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Check the Freon level. If I remember correctly, it holds only 18 ounces and slowly leaks out. I have topped mine off (at. Dealership) 4 times in the lat 16 years. If that's not it, there is a recent old thread here about compressors.

Reactions: Brombear

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Can you hear if the compressor is kicking on?

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
I had that issue on a previous car. Very slow leak that resulted in my not having A/C...but only when I most needed it!

There is an o-ring that sometimes gives out, which was the source of my leak. There is a thread on the subject, I believe from/involving Rich Brooks. Good luck!

Kenneth

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Can you just top these systems off or do you need to evacuate them and put back an exact weighted amount?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Very easy, traditional AC in the GT. The low and high side ports are under the front bonnet on the passenger side. It is very common for GT's at this age to be low on freon. Just add some with a good gauge set and you will be good. Note: Your compressor may or may not be cycling on/off depending on how low the charge is. Just start adding R134a and you will notice that the compressor will resume operation. It is a good idea to run your AC system each time you are running your GT if you tend to leave it parked for weeks at a time. The refrigerant is what lubricates the system components so you want to cycle it to reduce the possibility of leaks.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You need to evacuate to establish cause. When you know it is a small leak, you can probably just top off. Hilo Dave once drove from San Diego to Tulsa without AC. DBTGT just topped it off and it worked great for the rest of the trip to VIR. I sure miss that guy. It is just a plain old AC system, nothing special or exotic.

Reactions: Durward1

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
This is in NFGT section....is this for new or old car?

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
This is in NFGT section....is this for new or old car?
2021 NFGT

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Oops, my bad..... I was referring to the "old" GT.

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
Oops, my bad..... I was referring to the "old" GT.
No worries- I think most of the replies above were for 05/06 car!

Anyone have experience or insight into this problem with nfgt? I've been reading that the new 1234yf refrigerant is not that efficient and really expensive- is it prone to leaks too??

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Since most of the replies were for the 05-06 models, I’ll throw in my 2 bits. My 2005 with 75,000 miles has not yet needed a charge. I consider that exceptionally good. Of course, now that I said that, watch me go out to drive my car later today and the a/c doesn’t work because the refrigerant is low! After 17 years. Otherwise, ditto what Dr. Pickle and nota4re said.

Reactions: Ed Sims

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Your car is still under warranty, I would reach out to the concierge group to initiate the warranty process.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
After the first three years of ownership, and before the warranty went out, I had mine serviced under warranty. Same scenario, system only holds ounces of Freon, but I could tell the system wasn't quite as cold when new. The service tech evacuated the system and it is still fine after a!most 2 years.

Please note there is no tint in any of the Windows. I took delivery in September, and while driving in late October, 50-60 degrees, I was burning up inside when it was sunny. Had to run AC. I had some light tint done on the side windows and made a big difference. It worked well while we were in Scottsdale. I think I might yet go one more tint grade.

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
I had a problem early on with my 2006 while still in warranty, the ac compressor started to leak, so they installed a new one

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
The a/c in my car is not blowing cold. The a/c button lights up when depressed, all the controls seem to work, but the temperature of the air that's coming from the vents is ambient temp.

Is this a known issue? Probably not enough or no 1234yf? Any troubleshoots?

Is this a known issue? Probably not enough or no 1234yf? Any troubleshoot
Hello Vyprgt2,

A few questions, the year of your car and miliage? 1st thing I would do is turn on the A/c and look at left rear corner of the engine compartment and see if a/c clutch comes on. I have seen a/c module fail and have seen a/c lines and condenser leaks....if it does have a leak you should be able to see the dye leaking out. If it's under 3 years of age it is covered under warranty.

Joe

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Catching up a bit late here, but I have specific A/C experience with my 2019 Carbon Series so I'll throw in my 2 cents.

The A/C on my car has stopped blowing cold more than once, but every time it eventually went back to blowing cold. Sometimes during the same drive (no restart) within 10-20 minutes, and every time within one or two restarts.

It hasn't happened in awhile (more than a year at least, but I can't say for certain), and it's been serviced at Galpin at least twice since the first time this happened, so maybe they caught something (I believe I mentioned it to them...though it was so brief I might have forgotten). Obviously the fact it would come back on its own suggests a software/electronic glitch versus leaking or permanent compressor issue.

Sorry I can't offer more concrete information, but I would suggest checking compressor relay or other electronic issues in addition to confirming freon level.

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
Catching up a bit late here, but I have specific A/C experience with my 2019 Carbon Series so I'll throw in my 2 cents.

The A/C on my car has stopped blowing cold more than once, but every time it eventually went back to blowing cold. Sometimes during the same drive (no restart) within 10-20 minutes, and every time within one or two restarts.

It hasn't happened in awhile (more than a year at least, but I can't say for certain), and it's been serviced at Galpin at least twice since the first time this happened, so maybe they caught something (I believe I mentioned it to them...though it was so brief I might have forgotten). Obviously the fact it would come back on its own suggests a software/electronic glitch versus leaking or permanent compressor issue.

Sorry I can't offer more concrete information, but I would suggest checking compressor relay or other electronic issues in addition to confirming freon level.
Hello Enzo BTR, Did you get any paperwork from Galpin stating they did repairs on the A/C system? As intermittent as your issue is/was I would bet it was a recalibration or module from the sounds of it.

Joe

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Hey, the guy is an automotive journalist. What does he know about cars?

Reactions: ENZO BTR

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Hello Enzo BTR, Did you get any paperwork from Galpin stating they did repairs on the A/C system? As intermittent as your issue is/was I would bet it was a recalibration or module from the sounds of it.

Joe
I’ll have to check the service records, but I don’t specifically remembering them doing anything to the A/C system. I think it sort of resolved itself.