$8000 brake job?

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Shmee just posted a video saying it cost him $8000 to replace brake pads on his NFGT. Really? Arent these just Brembo pads?

Reactions: Special K

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Shmee just posted a video saying it cost him $8000 to replace brake pads on his NFGT. Really? Arent these just Brembo pads?
It’s cheaper than the sunglass holder for under the seat…

Reactions: Ed Sims

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
A forum member that tracked his car the first couple years told me they definitely weren't as economical as the 2005-2006 cars.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I find that amazing
I replaced my pads for a smitten of that!
Maybe he pays more because he is a you tuber?

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Parts giant has them for $2300 for all 4 corners.

Reactions: Iconic GT

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The pads have a wire attached that leads to a sensor that tells you when they need to be replaced I believe.

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.

$8,000 seems high to me......I have done a few brake jobs on the NFGT and don't believe I got anywhere near that price and every brake job I have done it was with a brake fluid flush and cleaning out the brake cooling ducts. Are you sure there was not a rotor replaced in his service ?

Joe

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The brake pads are not $8,000 in the U.S. They are about $2000 for the fronts and $1500 for the rears. I assume Tim's market just has some type of particularly punitive cost.

That is still a comically high price for brake pads. You have to understand though, the program is essentially unmoored and has been for a long time, with a long time to go. I would expect parts prices to remain high and get higher, with little rhyme or reason as to why one item may seem rational and a 6" long parts binnacle will cost $8,000.

morsben

Jun 5, 2020
$8k just for the pads?! Sounds overpriced.