Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
here is a little symphony composed by Ford motor company circa 1969

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
My stock 70 Boss 302 sounds good but nothing like what was posted in videos above. Sounds wicked, what are the specs on that built motor?

Reactions: soroush and digman1

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Thats AWESOME!!!! And As we commented via text, glad you have friendly neighbors!!

Reactions: soroush

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
My stock 70 Boss 302 sounds good but nothing like what was posted in videos above. Sounds wicked, what are the specs on that built motor?
partssmann

digmans post a few weeks back got me motivated to get mine off the lift and pay some well deserved attention to her.

its a 1970 Doz1 race boss block with 12.5 to 1 compression, 572 lift cam, bud moore mini plenum, and every trick in the book to make an old school boss302 go fast, port plates, demon 850 carb (yes I took the autolite off, too much of a pain to deal with) 4 speed close ratio box, 430 gears in rear, and 3 inch custom exhaust all the way to the back, a full house.

ill post some better pics/vid of the engine and the car later during daylight.

Reactions: digman1

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Wow, really sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing!

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Soroush, I have a 69 428 SCJ 4spd also 4.30 and would be interested in comparing some thoughts with you. Mines at redline on tach in a blink

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
partssmann

digmans post a few weeks back got me motivated to get mine off the lift and pay some well deserved attention to her.

its a 1970 Doz1 race boss block with 12.5 to 1 compression, 572 lift cam, bud moore mini plenum, and every trick in the book to make an old school boss302 go fast, port plates, demon 850 carb (yes I took the autolite off, too much of a pain to deal with) 4 speed close ratio box, 430 gears in rear, and 3 inch custom exhaust all the way to the back, a full house.

ill post some better pics/vid of the engine and the car later during daylight.

This makes me feel better. Mine is at a new shop, hoping to get it running like it should. Gets to 5,000 rpm and runs out of steam. Will go near 6,000, but from 5-6k takes a while. Noticed some slop in the distributor cap seating, and that could be several degrees of timing. I know it will never be really fast, but want it to pull hard up to 5,500 at least. My new Flaming River steering box made the biggest difference in feel. This shop is the one my Ford GT car partner had rebuild his ERA Cobra 427 side oiler, that never ran quite right when he bought it. I think they will get her running like she should

Your motor makes me want some headers to get even more tick tick tick sound, but probably won't go to that extreme.
Thanks for posting your beast's video !

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
there are some tricks you can use to make the car faster down low, in reality the intake and exhaust ports are really too big to get any power down low, you need port plates to wake the car up, I dont know whats going on with your motor but the car should be making more power as it starts to rev higher and stock motor should feel very strong from 4k to 6k rpm. make sure you find someone who really understands boss motors to set it up correctly

mine was built by pete cotzer in San Antonio over 30 years ago. last time we dyno'd it was over 12 years ago and it put down 365hp to the wheels thats not slow by any means. mine is a hopped up motor but regular boss motor set up well should be 250 to 270 to the wheels thats not slow either by comparison fox bodies of the late 80s and early 90s were making 200 to the wheels if that.

i never wanted a concourse restoration car in fact when I was buying my car there were two available, mine and another a 70 a yellow one that had just recently gone through a frame off concourse restoration process and they were the same price. I bought the driver because i wanted to beat on it and enjoy every minute of owner ship, I know some people love to keep their car pristine and I see some really nice and overly taken care of boss2 and boss9s at car shows but thats not what makes me happy . I like to drive the hell out of mine.

my car was also featured in a few muscle mustang and fast ford magazines back in the early 90s it may have been mustang monthly I forget I will try to dig up the old issues and post more pics later... for now here is some more sounds...
and Im still short shifting it. still running that 3 year old gas :)

Attachments

• NDEJ8918.JPG
    NDEJ8918.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_9210.jpg
    IMG_9210.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: digman1

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Soroush, I have a 69 428 SCJ 4spd also 4.30 and would be interested in comparing some thoughts with you. Mines at redline on tach in a blink

PILOTJPW1, I can imagine, big blocks torque will push through just about anything, are you hitting the redline because your spinning your tires as soon as you get on it specially with 4.30 gears? I dont think I have ever been in a big block car with such short gears must be fun!

though big blocks do run out of revs a little quicker than the small blocks they make up for it in the amount of torque they put down.

by comparison my boss makes no power before 3500 rpm and even at 4000 its still not fully awake, once you hit 5000 rpm it feels like, to steal a phrase from Jeremy Clarkson, "god is here..... and he is angry!" and it pulls harder that anything from that era until 8000 rpm
driving such car makes for some interesting issues as I learned when I first brought the car home I realized even tho you can rev it to 8K rpm its probably isnt the best Idea I remember missing a shift going past 8500 and spending the rest of my weekend replacing pushrods and a broken rocker arm and relashing all the valves. didnt hurt the motor but still was not fun. also when the power does come on its so different that any other car from the era mainly because you dont expect a big rush of power at 5000 rpm so it can take you by surprise and it often breaks the tires loose so you have to be ready ( it almost feels like a turbo car)

you can hear the tires breaking loose on my second vid as Im approaching you can hear the pitch of the motor change at the top of second gear, I think I shifted into third around 7200 rpm and on the first vid you can see when you rev to about 7K rpm and shift youre back to 5K rpm just to keep the motor in its power band

all and all the boss motors are really different animal than anything else that were made around the same time.

and even tho the car is not fast by todays standards I can tell you its more fun than 99 percent of fast cars out there.

Last edited:

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
at a local car show with a very nice 67 IMG_9240.JPG

Tiago

GT Owner
Apr 9, 2019
Houston, TX
Loved seeing the car out!