dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Nice!

http://wardsauto.com/engines/electrics-charge-10-best-engines-list?page=3

Ford has no trouble muscling its way onto this year’s list with a 526-hp naturally aspirated 5.2L bruiser of a V-8 in the new Shelby GT350 Mustang.

With its heralded flat-plane crankshaft and weight-reducing Plasma Transfer Wire Arc cylinder coating, Ford’s “Voodoo” V-8 casts a spell on WardsAuto editors by demonstrating that a redline of 8,250 rpm is not something to fear but embrace.

Derived from the 5.0L “Coyote” V-8 that won Wards 10 Best Engines trophies in 2011 and 2012, the 5.2L, with old-school port fuel injection, 6-speed manual transmission and using premium fuel, reaches the 100 hp/L threshold, which is extremely difficult for a big engine without forced induction.

Truly suited for hammering around the track, the GT350’s engine is described as “positively demonic” by a Mustang loyalist intoxicated by the brash exhaust note and subtle but soothing shimmy at idle.

The Voodoo engine does everything well, from puttering around town to frightening small animals. WardsAuto editors consider it the pinnacle of internal-combustion engineering.
:cheers

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Bravo. It's great Ford has the stones to make an NA engine when even Ferrari is going forced induction. The GT350 may be the last NA, manual transmission hi po car ever.

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
Bravo. It's great Ford has the stones to make an NA engine when even Ferrari is going forced induction. The GT350 may be the last NA, manual transmission hi po car ever.

Maybe. Gotta wonder what the GT500 will have in it. Most likely supercharged but you never know...

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
The GT350 may be the last NA, manual transmission hi po car ever.

I'm sad to say that I think you might be correct on this.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Great accolade!
I know some guys who deserve a big pat on the back for bringing this engine to production.:biggrin
Pretty amazing car and engine!

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Ford is coming out with very cool products, just saw a non related review on the F150 "trailer steering" knob, very very cool. When are going to see the 350GT on dealer's lot without greedy mark ups ? :smash