Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Much nicer looking in solid red.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
You've got an F40 as well?? :cool (insert "bow down" icon here)

Not mine..... It belongs to my oldest chum, so I know the model very well and have raced it with the GT too. They look interesting side by side, it shows how timeless the GT's design is.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
That thing is but ugly in IMO. Kinda has lines of a Saturn or something. Those profile pics of the 458 are enough for me to lose interest quick.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
That thing is but ugly in IMO. Kinda has lines of a Saturn or something. Those profile pics of the 458 are enough for me to lose interest quick.

I felt the same way --------until I saw one in person.

A couple of weeks ago I "chanced" upon a 458 driving on Hwy 111 in Palm Desert. a funny, odd not quite burnt orange color. Definately not your traditional F color.

Took me a few minitues of lane changing to get close to it, and had to see the tri-tips, to figure out what it was.

Quite good looking in the flesh and the exhaust note was oh so special.

The fella driving it was clearly having fun with the zip-zip-zip-zip [to get to 45mph] paddle shifters.

Thought it would look good in my garage, except I don't have the winning mega lotto ticket to cash in.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
I felt the same way --------until I saw one in person.

+1

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...except I don't have the winning mega lotto ticket to cash in.

Don't feel like The Lone Ranger!!! Only one person has that, and he's evidently in N.Y. :)eek JOEY?????!!!!!:eek)

I've seen 3 of these 458's now - 2 reds and a yellow. I LIKE 'EM MUCHO, but, as with all F-cars, buying one is the cheapest part of owning one...and Pockets is just too darn 'tight'. :willy

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Don't feel like The Lone Ranger!!! Only one person has that, and he's evidently in N.Y. :)eek JOEY?????!!!!!:eek)

I've seen 3 of these 458's now - 2 reds and a yellow. I LIKE 'EM MUCHO, but, as with all F-cars, buying one is the cheapest part of owning one...and Pockets is just too darn 'tight'. :willy

:agree:

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
So I had an opportunity to drive the 458.

WOW!!!!

The thing feels like it is weightless.

If you are puttering an low RPM it is docile. Relatively quite. Ride is supple and enjoyable.
Great car to cruise around in. Electro mag really smooths things out. The adjustable ride height button great for curbs.

Looks: best looking ferrari in a long time.

When you stomp on the throttle,OMG I wet my self. It is superb sounding and the sense of speed and accelaration are innnnnncredible.

Handling is superb. The car feels so light it is disconcerting and takes some time getting used to.

It is truely something else. Very diffrent than a GT. GT is solid and heavy in comparison. The GT is like riding a rhinocerous. The 458 is like a gazelle. A rhino is big and fast charging but a gazelle is faster but it also feels a little "brittle". The GT is a car that has a feeling of being bullet proof.

Much harsher ride in the GT though.

Looks of the 458 perfect from any angle. GT almost perfect but not quite. There are angles in the GT that are nice but not outstanding. Perosonally that has bothered me but only slightly. Beauty though is of course very personal. Interior of the GT is almost perfect short of the button on the steering wheel that is prone to imperfections.

Replacement for the GT?
No not really.
It lacks the timeless look and sence of mechanical reliability the GT was annointed with.
The gt feels like it is far from its potential in stock form but the 458 feels like it has no room to grow and hence is neither a car I would own for life or would care to own if I lived far from a Ferrari dealership.

Now would I relocate close to a Ferrari dealership.
It is tempting. One very nice Ferrari I think I would enjoy owning.
Not however at the cost of the GT.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I love the new 458. We just got our second one in this morning. Here it is.....

http://www.eliteautosllc.com/vehicles.php/mode/view/id/383

Only 250 miles on the odo!??? This is the rule rather than the exception when speaking of Ferrari's.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Only 250 miles on the odo!??? This is the rule rather than the exception when speaking of Ferrari's.

I'm with you, I just don't understand having a car like that and not driving it if even for a few thousand miles. Pockets, help me out here.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Looks of the 458 perfect from any angle. GT almost perfect but not quite. There are angles in the GT that are nice but not outstanding. Perosonally that has bothered me but only slightly. Beauty though is of course very personal. Interior of the GT is almost perfect short of the button on the steering wheel that is prone to imperfections.

I can not find a bad angle for the GT. The 458 on the other hand just does not do it for me, and I have seen a few in person. Seems to be an incredible performer though.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
I will buy another Ferrari when they don't depreciate. Hard to say about the 458 in that respect. 360s and 430s were sticker plus and now look at them......buyer's market. Different car you say? Maybe...... I don't play the "sticker or sticker plus thing". I just can't enjoy a car that is dropping in value. Too many cars out there that don't. Right now the 458 is the "hot new toy" I don't have to be the first to get one. Waited a year on my GT and bought if for less than dealer cost. The only way financially to have the newest, latest toy is to buy it for sticker or less, sell it quickly before everybody that wants/can afford one gets one, then buy one in the "new depreciated market" later. They say you have to pay to play........I say just be smart.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I'm with you, I just don't understand having a car like that and not driving it if even for a few thousand miles. Pockets, help me out here.

I'd love to help you out. Which way did you come in?

Yeeeeeeeeew mizzerbull...

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
EP, I will take up for you here. Heaven forbid anyone driving and enjoying a Ferrari. Cost prohibitive.....depreciation per mile would be sinful and don't forget "books and records". Gotta have all the stamps at the right monthly interval even if you don't drive it. Or be so so rich that you just don't give a rat's ass.......that is not me.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Someone has to tell the Emperor he has no clothes. I will do it here.

That thing is Fugly.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?21792-458/page2

The CAR itself looks great IMO...but that particular SHADE of yellow along with the black slapped here & there DOESN'T.

Last edited:

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I like your thinking. Patience is a virtue unless unlimited funds are available. Seems like about 2-3 yrs after the new F-cars come out, they begin the big depreciation slide. It's hard to get one early enough to sell it quickly unless you have an in. Wondering what the new McLaren will do to the F-458 market, as appears to be aimed directly at it.

I will buy another Ferrari when they don't depreciate. Hard to say about the 458 in that respect. 360s and 430s were sticker plus and now look at them......buyer's market. Different car you say? Maybe...... I don't play the "sticker or sticker plus thing". I just can't enjoy a car that is dropping in value. Too many cars out there that don't. Right now the 458 is the "hot new toy" I don't have to be the first to get one. Waited a year on my GT and bought if for less than dealer cost. The only way financially to have the newest, latest toy is to buy it for sticker or less, sell it quickly before everybody that wants/can afford one gets one, then buy one in the "new depreciated market" later. They say you have to pay to play........I say just be smart.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
I like your thinking. Patience is a virtue unless unlimited funds are available. Seems like about 2-3 yrs after the new F-cars come out, they begin the big depreciation slide. It's hard to get one early enough to sell it quickly unless you have an in. Wondering what the new McLaren will do to the F-458 market, as appears to be aimed directly at it.

Thank you. I take that as a compliment.

There will always be a new and better Ferrari.......not necessarily true of the Ford GT.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
EP, I will take up for you here. Heaven forbid anyone driving and enjoying a Ferrari. Cost prohibitive.....depreciation per mile would be sinful and don't forget "books and records". Gotta have all the stamps at the right monthly interval even if you don't drive it. Or be so so rich that you just don't give a rat's ass.......that is not me.

What I believe you're saying (and I totally agree with) is: 'Whereas, say, a Ford, Mopar, or Chevrolet is designed & built to provide long, reliable, relatively economical service to its owner, a Ferrari is designed and built to provide continual, reliable, maximum annual income for the factory.'

'Zat about right? :biggrin

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Dang it....I have been complimented twice. Sincere appreciation. Is there a full moon out? No one gonna put Nardo in his place?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Dang it....I have been complimented twice. Sincere appreciation. Is there a full moon out? No one gonna put Nardo in his place?

...careful whut youz asks for...